Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,456 times

Advertisements

I've read various threads on the best places to live in the Atlanta area, but I thought I would start one that pertained to my needs...

I'm a soon-to-be chiropractor from Texas. My partner and I (women) currently live in Marietta. We will be opening up a clinic together in about 15 months and are considering staying in Georgia. We've always figured we'd go back to Houston, but we absolutely hate the weather and politics. We're trying to figure out where we would live and open up shop if we do stay here in Georgia. We have not explored much of the area, as school tends to keep us busy. However, we're planning on driving around in a few weeks and would like to know where to go.

Here's a few things we'd like to have in our city:
Gay-friendly
Family-friendly
A yard -- would ideally like land
An accepting Episcopal Church -- currently go to the Cathedral
Health conscious / alternative
Good schools (in case we decide to have kids)
Nice atmosphere

I think that sums it up! I have a feeling most people will say Decatur, but I've never been there. It just seems to pop up the most. We're from Texas, so I don't care if people are conservative politically -- they just have to be a bit more accepting than folks in Texas!

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 03:02 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
My vote would be for Decatur based on your criteria too.

Check out these websites:

City of Decatur, GA
City Schools of Decatur

Saint Bartholomew's Episcopal Church, Atlanta, Georgia USA is/was a very gay friendly Episcopal Church. A lesbian friend of mine use to be on staff a longtime ago. Now she and her partner are in California.

Are you finishing up school at Life University?

For what it's worth, I have been receiving chiropractic care since I was 16 and I now go here The Joint ... A Chiropractic Place - Chiropractic Franchise Dr. Fred, the founder and the chiropractor that I see most often is awesome.

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2009, 03:48 PM

190 posts, read 742,876 times
My vote is Pine Lake! Even if you don't live there you should still check it out because they have events all the time and you could go to those. It's is Exactly like you describe EXCEPT the schools. Everyone there sends their kids to private or charter. It is a small city next to Stone Mountain, check it out.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,456 times
Great! Thanks for the imput. Yes, I'm at Life University. I've heard of "The Joint." Very cool offices!! I will check out Decatur and Pine Lake (I'm fine w/private schools).

Old 02-24-2009, 05:52 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,613 times
You're going to have a hard time finding a yard that could come close to qualifying as "land" anywhere intown. Druid Hills has some ENORMOUS lots, but those are million plus properties. I think any of the "Emory area" neighborhoods would be good -- Druid Hills and Decatur, as well as Candler Park/Lake Claire, Inman Park, Midtown, Virginia-Highland, Morningside <---- all of these are charming historic neighborhoods; plus more suburban neighborhoods like Victoria Estates, Oak Grove, North Decatur, Leafmore, etc.

There are plenty of areas on this side of town that should meet most of your criteria. More will depend on budget, size requirements, style of home, etc. Also "nice atmosphere" means something different to every person.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:53 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
A few of my gay female friends (and almost to a one they were former residents of the city of Decatur) have opted for Avondale Estates. They did so because they are getting proximity to Decatur and more house for the money.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:16 PM

27 posts, read 97,837 times
the best place to live...get in your car, turn on the radio and drive in any direction... when the radio starts to fade out and turn into another station... thats the best place

Old 02-26-2009, 06:09 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slushpuppie View Post
the best place to live...get in your car, turn on the radio and drive in any direction... when the radio starts to fade out and turn into another station... thats the best place
Advice from someone pulluting the Atlanta threads with garbage...ignore this one - apparently someone in Atlanta hurt his feelings today.

There are so many great neighborhoods in Atlanta for a gay couple...Decatur and Avondale Estates are the traditional lesbian areas and have a good reputation for diversity, but there are dozens of others as well.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:46 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
A few of my gay female friends (and almost to a one they were former residents of the city of Decatur) have opted for Avondale Estates. They did so because they are getting proximity to Decatur and more house for the money.
I believe Decatur's schools are significantly better than Avondale Estates' schools if that's an important consideration. But you certainly do get more for your money in Avondale Estates and as it's immediately adjacent to Decatur you still have easy access to Decatur's business district, parks, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta