Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 02:01 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,105,806 times

Advertisements

One thing to remember that is different about metro Atlanta is that in the Northeast (or where I'm from in Ohio, as well), a metro area usually consists of city after city with clearly defined borders and often very distinct character and populations. This past experience of northern transplant is reflected in questions like "what is the difference between Alpharetta and Johns Creek," when in reality they just blend into each other (and more confusingly, some areas in Johns Creek have an Alpharetta mailing address!!!). Here, the areas tend to blend into each other, without readily indetifiable boundaries, often with very nice areas intermingled with pockets of not-as-nice areas - this is because until recently, many of the now suburbs were rural and consisted of unincorporated areas rather than cities. This has changed as new cities have been formed in North Fulton, but most of what is called "Suwanee" is not actually in the city of Suwanee; it is actually in unincorporated Gwinnett or Forsyth county. Oftentimes, people with discuss their area in terms of a mall or a school district, rather than a city label (e.g. the "Collins Hill area" or the "Mall of Georgia area"). Really, you have to come down here and map out the area that is most convenient to work and see it for yourself, as it can be hard to picture and the layout of the roads tends to be confusing. Hope that was not too confusing; just trying to help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:19 PM

60 posts, read 305,103 times
In general, from a county perspective, which is better- Fulton or Gwinnett? I wonder if Atlanta and South Fulton weigh down North Fulton or does each area/city generally hold its own against the county?

Old 11-08-2009, 08:24 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,959 times
There are a lot of factors that go into making one place 'better' than the other. North Fulton has been traditionally more affluent. However, the quality of life in both areas is virtually identical. You really need to decide that for yourself.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:28 PM

23,470 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Yes, there is not really a lot of distinction between the specific areas that you target. These are all quite nice areas that you are talking about.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:34 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, there is not really a lot of distinction between the specific areas that you target. These are all quite nice areas that you are talking about.
So nice to hear something positive! Thanks Lovin!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:28 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,814,344 times
I would recommend starting the selling process now. There are a lot of great houses in the areas of Atlanta for sale but you need to sell first before you know how much you will have, and when. (Take it from me, the asking price on my house in New York is nearly $300,000 lower than the value we are paying taxes on). Our first offer in May fell through (I suspect mortgage problems) and our second offer in September was $110,000 below our asking price. Also, some interested parties do not want to take possession of a new house until the end of the school year.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:54 PM

97 posts, read 355,819 times
The tensions that you mentioned were a long time ago. Forsyth has changed since the 1970s. Has been one of the fastest growing counties in the country over the past 10 years or so. Wouldn't worry about that at all.

During those racial tensions, that's where Oprah Winfrey got her first start. She was a Reporter covering it back then. Her first glimpse of fame.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:15 PM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley View Post
T

During those racial tensions, that's where Oprah Winfrey got her first start. She was a Reporter covering it back then. Her first glimpse of fame.
Actually, no. Oprah already had her show by then (the major conflict took place in 1986) and was already famous (with an Oscar nomination). What she did was conduct her show in Forsyth County.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:46 PM

59 posts, read 274,762 times
Did you ever say where your work was (sorry if I missed it)?

To be "close" to 85, none of the areas under discussion in this thread really qualify. I live off Hwy 20 3 miles from GA400 in S Forsyth County and though 85 is technically only about 11 miles from me, I would not want to drive it, pretty much ever, due to traffic and two lane roads, etc.

Also, Lambert is brand new and probably like 95% white. I doubt there are already "racial tensions" unless it's against the 5% and that's hard to imagine. This is not a rural area any longer, as another poster pointed out.

What part of 85 do you need to be near, Sugarloaf, JCB, 285, Hamilton Mill?

Thanks, Rob

Old 11-10-2009, 10:59 AM

60 posts, read 305,103 times
I may have jumped the gun on the highway proximity. It looks like the type of professional (finance, acctg, IT etc) jobs we would be looking for have a high concentration in the Alpharetta area.

So I guess knowing that, what areas are good for families and have good schoools and also of course an easy commute to the Alpharetta area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL4U View Post
Did you ever say where your work was (sorry if I missed it)?

To be "close" to 85, none of the areas under discussion in this thread really qualify. I live off Hwy 20 3 miles from GA400 in S Forsyth County and though 85 is technically only about 11 miles from me, I would not want to drive it, pretty much ever, due to traffic and two lane roads, etc.

Also, Lambert is brand new and probably like 95% white. I doubt there are already "racial tensions" unless it's against the 5% and that's hard to imagine. This is not a rural area any longer, as another poster pointed out.

What part of 85 do you need to be near, Sugarloaf, JCB, 285, Hamilton Mill?

Thanks, Rob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta