Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2022, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 807 times

Advertisements

If I'm called to show up for jury on Nov. 30 I'll have to do it in person since I don't have a smartphone or web camera, and paying a cab fare is out of the question these days(don't judge),and if my usual ride happens to be out of town Marta will be my only option. I'm an Atlanta native however the only time I'm downtown is earlier in the day when I see my doctors at Grady(who unfortunately would not sign the jury excuse affidavit for my stage 2 hypertension or the panic attacks which often worsen it). I shouldn't be in the area any later than 5-6pm at the latest, and by the end of Nov. it will be getting darker earlier, and hopefully not even that late since I hope a judge will understand about my health issues. I am a middle aged woman who wouldn't be able to run well or defend myself so good and I just want to know if I need to be aware or any physical danger as I will already be putting my health at risk if I have to show up.

Thanks.

(edited for typo)

Last edited by Cat274; 11-01-2022 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 11:28 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,379,285 times
I had jury duty earlier this year and had no problems walking from the Fulton County Courthouse to the Five Points station. Just be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine. Also, there is usually heavy pedestrian traffic (Fulton County employees, other jurors, etc.) between 5 & 6 pm going towards the station.

Old 11-01-2022, 02:21 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
99.9%

First off, this is a heavily patrolled area of the city due to all of the government buildings. The worst thing you'll encounter is an aggressive panhandler and you deal with that by walking away and acting like you don't speak english. With that said, most violent crime isn't random and between people who have a problem with each other. Unless you expect to see some enemies down there I think you'd be ok. You'll draw more attention to yourself if you act like you're scared to be there.

Besides this, how many times do you hear of someone having an issue with this? Hundreds of people are in those buildings for jury duty every single day of the week. If it wasn't safe to walk there (which is your only option since it's downtown) then there would be a nightly feature on one of the news stations about the murder zone around the courthouses.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:26 PM

217 posts, read 217,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat274 View Post
If I'm called to show up for jury on Nov. 30 I'll have to do it in person since I don't have a smartphone or web camera, and paying a cab fare is out of the question these days(don't judge),and if my usual ride happens to be out of town Marta will be my only option. I'm an Atlanta native however the only time I'm downtown is earlier in the day when I see my doctors at Grady(who unfortunately would not sign the jury excuse affidavit for my stage 2 hypertension or the panic attacks which often worsen it). I shouldn't be in the area any later than 5-6pm at the latest, and by the end of Nov. it will be getting darker earlier, and hopefully not even that late since I hope a judge will understand about my health issues. I am a middle aged woman who wouldn't be able to run well or defend myself so good and I just want to know if I need to be aware or any physical danger as I will already be putting my health at risk if I have to show up.

Thanks.

(edited for typo)
I'm a GSU student who departs from Five Points around that time of day often (in fact, I was just there a few hours ago).

You should be fine. You'll see some homelessness (if it's cold, perhaps not as much), but 99.9% of the time those individuals are harmless.

MARTA trains will be fairly busy at that hour. I would walk towards the end of the platform at Five Points to ensure you get a seat, as there's a chance that the middle cars will be full.

Alternatively, you could consider ordering a Uber/Lyft from the courthouse to Five Points MARTA; this should be about $10.

Old 11-02-2022, 04:25 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleZ OTP View Post
I'm a GSU student who departs from Five Points around that time of day often (in fact, I was just there a few hours ago).

You should be fine. You'll see some homelessness (if it's cold, perhaps not as much), but 99.9% of the time those individuals are harmless.

MARTA trains will be fairly busy at that hour. I would walk towards the end of the platform at Five Points to ensure you get a seat, as there's a chance that the middle cars will be full.

Alternatively, you could consider ordering a Uber/Lyft from the courthouse to Five Points MARTA; this should be about $10.
I agree with everything except for the last sentence. It's a 3 block walk to Five Points from the Courthouse. You'd be better off burning that $10 for warmth than you would taking an Uber for that distance.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:25 PM

30 posts, read 23,685 times
You’ll be fine, I’ve wandered through 5 points late at night a few times from friends condos to get the late bus back home and I’ve never had any issue. At the time frame you’re going it will also be rather busy with people getting out of work, as others have already said you don’t really have anything to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: