Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,198 times

Advertisements

Ok, so we are moving to Atlanta probably this November or December from Columbus, Ohio. Wife and I lived in Woodstock for a year a few years back and really enjoyed it, and so we are headed back down. Have some questions because for the year there we sadly didn't really do a lot of exploring, and now I'm not sure where exactly we want to live when we move back down.

I'll use the format from the stickied thread up top.

1. Budget

We are renters, no desire to buy right now as we are working through some debt. Can spend up to $1600 a month, less is fine, probably no more. Currently spending $1600 a month on the south side of Columbus, so $1600 would be a lateral move.

2. House/Condo/Townhome?

Definitely house, we have one son, another on the way, and two dogs (golden retriever and basset hound).

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)

I work from home so commute / employment isn't an issue.

4. Children(public school vs. private)

Will be two children, but both are very small, school won't be an issue for a few years, and by then I imagine we will know the area better and will probably be ready to purchase.

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two

Really would probably prefer suburban. I am a tennis nut, so a subdivision with lighted courts would be great. This is a big reason why I loved Atlanta so much, ALTA and how big tennis is in general, so I want to get back into it in a big way when we move back. Subdivision with a pool would be great also.

We are homebodies, don't need a lot of nightlife, would like a yard, and a nice neighborhood to take walks in, that sort of thing.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?

Not important, since I don't commute I don't mind driving for entertainment/shopping.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

Younger/middle aged, children, that sort of thing. We are 28 and 26, so would be great if the average person was 25-50, child raising age basically.

Additional info, we really loved Woodstock, but it is really far out, would like to be a little closer to the city. I think living so far away limited how much we got to know the city, and while I'm fine with the suburbs not needing 45+ minutes to drive downtown is nice too. We'll probably be flying home to see family in Ohio quite often also, so being closer than Woodstock to the airport also wouldn't hurt. Looking at mostly northern suburbs, but only know the Woodstock area well, and would love others input. Where would you live in Atlanta give the above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:45 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
My first suggestion is west Cobb County. This will place you closer to the airport. There are other regulars on this forum who know the specific subdivisions better than I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta