Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 07:30 AM

4 posts, read 9,796 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have lived on the south side of Atlanta our entire lives, but we are looking to move into the city for at least a few years before we settle down to have kids. We are 24 years old, no kids, my job is around the airport, and she is a nurse at Piedmont Hospital on Peachtree Road. We want to be near other young couples, but we don't know where they live in the city. We really want to buy a house, and be done with apartments and condos. We want to take advantage of the new good deals, tax credits, and low interest rates while they are still here. We want to be in an area with low crime (For Atlanta), walkable to restaurants/bars/shopping/etc, under 250K, and an area where housing prices will rise when they do. We do not mind being just outside the perimeter, but we do want a somewhat city feel.

Am I asking too much, or is this just not a possibility in Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 11:06 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,067 times
You could probably do a townhouse in Smyrna for that price. Great area for your jobs, potential kids, walkability, proximity to midtown, etc.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:25 PM

Thanks. Is Vinings about my price range, or is it just not what I am looking for? I was just wondering since they are next to each other.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,773 times
You might find some possibilities intown in the Kirkwood neighborhood within walking distance to the Kirkwood Village shops/dining and pretty centrally located between the airport for you and Piedmont Hosp for your wife. There are some new townhomes in that price range at SoHo Kirkwood and at Kirkwood Station, as well as some single family homes.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:41 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0812 View Post
Thanks. Is Vinings about my price range, or is it just not what I am looking for? I was just wondering since they are next to each other.
$250K will probably not get you very far in Vinings, unless prices have fallen more than I know. Sweettea's suggestion of Smyrna is a good one IMO.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:42 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,067 times
You could probably get a condo in Vinings proper. It's much more expensive, inside the city limits (Fulton county) so the taxes are higher too. My vote would be somewhere in Cobb County. Check out the John Weiland development One Ivy Walk. It's very urban in feel but still has the Cobb County benefits. You could technically walk to Vinings (it's about a mile). Not sure of the prices there tho so I could be totally off but there may be some condos for under 250K.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
You could probably get a condo in Vinings proper. It's much more expensive, inside the city limits (Fulton county) so the taxes are higher too. My vote would be somewhere in Cobb County. Check out the John Weiland development One Ivy Walk. It's very urban in feel but still has the Cobb County benefits. You could technically walk to Vinings (it's about a mile). Not sure of the prices there tho so I could be totally off but there may be some condos for under 250K.
Bottom end for units in One Ivy Walk appears to be around 525k?

This might be a good starting point, tho:

Smyrna Vinings Condos & Townhomes from 200,000

Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 PM

479 posts, read 703,052 times
Default Paying cash?

If you can pay cash,and have an appetite for risk, One Vinings Main is worth checking out. New condos in your price range, very near downtown vinings. Just be careful. They havent sold many units and the developer could be in trouble. And no mortgages - only cash offers. That probably makes it a no-go for most, I realize, but you never know.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:08 PM

81 posts, read 292,795 times
Vinings is NOT in the city, nor is it in Fulton.

Vinings is in Cobb County.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:24 PM

Sobukev,

Where would you suggest? Do you know of any neighborhoods in the city that may fit my description?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta