Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one for a night away???
Chateau Elen 8 66.67%
Four Seasons Midtown 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:28 AM

997 posts, read 4,645,875 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to getaway for a night and need to go somewhere relatively close. What would you pick. Our choices are:

1. Chateau Elan. Dinner, winery tour, walk or bike the trails and possibly a massage.

2. Four Seasons Midtown. Dinner at Oceanaire. Walk through Piedmont Park. Maybe the Botanical Garden depending on what's blooming early March. (We've been to Buckhead numerous times and want something in the city with walkable things to do and never been to Midtown, PP or the BG)

We also don't golf or play tennis. And, we moved to Atl. go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 07:34 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,049,092 times
If you don't live in the city I'd choose Midtown. If you have never been to Midtown or Piedmont park aside from this getaway why not go for the afternoon and stroll around the park, grab lunch etc. There is too much to do to not visit the area at least a couple times a year even if you live further out.

Depending on your interest how about working in a show at the Fox to your overnight stay. Golf and Tennis definitely are not the only activities going on in the city (perhaps in the suburbs they are).

Old 02-16-2010, 07:43 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
Ok, if I had to choose between your two picks, I'd say give Chateau Elan a try since it's very different compared to typical "city things".

If you can stretch what you may mean by "close" a bit, and you can handle a 3 1/2 hour drive, then I think you should explore the Grove Park Inn Resort/Spa in Asheville, NC for a night (or if you can stretch it out, a weekend as they have a 2 night special going on right now that includes the spa part): The Grove Park Inn Resort & Spa - Welcome

Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Ok, if I had to choose between your two picks, I'd say give Chateau Elan a try since it's very different compared to typical "city things".

If you can stretch what you may mean by "close" a bit, and you can handle a 3 1/2 hour drive, then I think you should explore the Grove Park Inn Resort/Spa in Asheville, NC for a night (or if you can stretch it out, a weekend as they have a 2 night special going on right now that includes the spa part): The Grove Park Inn Resort & Spa - Welcome
Chateau Elan is a lovely resort and really a lot of fun (I'm a bit of an oenophile and love attending tastings to learn more about the science of winemaking).
I'll throw another choice into the mix...The James Madison Inn in Madison, GA is a great overnight...lovely place, and the town is a wonderful place to stroll and browse. On your way back into town, stop at the Blue Willow Inn in neighboring Social Circle for lunch.

The James Madison Inn | Madison GA | Luxury Inn | Conference Center (http://www.jamesmadisoninn.com/spa.html - broken link)

Blue Willow Inn - Southern Buffet Restaurant - Social Circle Georgia Louis and Billie Van Dyke

Old 02-16-2010, 08:21 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
On your way back into town, stop at the Blue Willow Inn in neighboring Social Circle for lunch.

Blue Willow Inn - Southern Buffet Restaurant - Social Circle Georgia Louis and Billie Van Dyke
I will ditto that they have really good food for any other day-away trip that anyone wants to take. Their macaroni-n-cheese makes you wanna just get naked and roll in it. mmmmmm I'd probably still pick Chateau Elan or the Grovepark for a relaxing getaway though, but the Blue Willow is a great "country foodie" type of place.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:24 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Chateau Elan is a lovely resort and really a lot of fun (I'm a bit of an oenophile and love attending tastings to learn more about the science of winemaking).
I'll throw another choice into the mix...The James Madison Inn in Madison, GA is a great overnight...lovely place, and the town is a wonderful place to stroll and browse. On your way back into town, stop at the Blue Willow Inn in neighboring Social Circle for lunch.

The James Madison Inn | Madison GA | Luxury Inn | Conference Center (http://www.jamesmadisoninn.com/spa.html - broken link)

They just did a really nice story about Madison on the Georgia Traveler on PBS a week or so ago. They actually highlighted The James Madison Inn - what a beautiful place AND town.

Great suggestion.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:36 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

I've done both-
I'd pick Grove Park over Chateau Elan.
And another- Inn on Biltmore Estate. Stay at Biltmore - Inn on Biltmore Estate - Packages - Year-Round Packages (http://www.biltmore.com/stay/packages/year_round.asp - broken link)
Absolutely stunning. The accomodations were great, the dining room was fabulous, and I lucked out with a great bartender that remembered our drinks everytime we went to the bar. The tour of the grounds and the self tour of the home is a great way to spend the day. And the estate wines aren't bad.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:53 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Yet another little gem in the mountains.

Blackberry Farm

Old 02-16-2010, 07:34 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,875 times
Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. We have decided to go with Chateau Elan. We've been to the Biltmore twice. Would recommend it to anyone. We need to stay fairly close to Johns Creek because we have someone staying with our 6 year old for the first time overnight.

We'll let you know how our experience was after our visit. Thanks again.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:32 AM

10 posts, read 16,695 times
Reynolds plantation is another possiblity. I won't comment on the 'Chateau' because you're going there. I know for sure my wife and I would go 4 seasons all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: