Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 12:58 AM

25 posts, read 50,145 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

So, I bought an Audi A4, racked up some serious miles and starting to get scared of a car payment + insurance + heavy wear and tear expenses.

Here is the dilemma,
I owe $15,000 the car is worth maybe $14,000. So yes I am upside down but thats not the largest issue since I have a savings account.

I have the loan financed at 1.9% and never skipped a beat on my payments, however, my student loans came crashing down, moved to California from Boston and my credit score has taken a SERIOUS beating.

So my theory was, to trade in the vehicle for a pre-owned CPO Honda. Let's say the car is $13,000

So,

Audi (Loan $15000) (Value $14000) New CPO car ($13000),
-$1000 +1000 = 0?

Can I keep my previous loan and conditions? Because I don't think I will get 1.9% again...

I need to know because I live in California and drive a lot, it's only a matter of time...until my time is up and need to act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 06:44 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
The $15K balance on your Audi loan puts a lien on the Audi. When you decides to trade in the car, this is what happens.

Payoff balance of the Audi is determined with a quick phone call. If a Honda dealer offers you $14K for the Audi on the condition of you buying one of their car at X value, the $14K is used to pay off the existing Audi loan first. The excess or shortage will get carry over to your new purchasing sheet. How would you like to pay for your CPO car? Finance/Cash?

The Audi loan is then considered paid off in full and dealer can sell the Audi after a set time period.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:04 AM

470 posts, read 1,664,195 times
You will not keep the same loan conditions. There will be a new loan on the new car. Used cars often carry higher interest rates than new cars. With your credit score "crashing" you are looking at a higher interest rate on a CPO Honda.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:23 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Just keep the Audi. You're just digging a bigger I owe money hole. The most you'll see on trade in in 80% of wholesale. Maybe. Dealer will just tack on the difference between trade in value and in your old loan pay off balance to the new loan and you'll be that much deeper in the hole on another car worth even less now. Not only are they making money on the new sale, they are selling ahigher loan amount to the bank and getting a bigger kickback, passing on the risk to the bank AND will sell your Audi to the next guy for 15k while giving you 9k on trade and taking the 6k to your new loan. You just put a whole lot of money in that dealers pocket. In other words you're a sheep bein led to slaughter.. Add in your "Crashing" credit score expect to pay a higher rate to borrow also.
What is causing your financial woes? Bad planning loss of job reduction in pay or simply stupid spending and borrowing?

Old 12-31-2014, 11:00 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
If you keep the Audi you'd be better off because:
- you don't lose at least $1,000 (plus for trade in dealer will most likely offer less than $14k since they need to make at least $2k)
- you cannot get another loan at 1.9%
- Audi is a better drive than any regular Honda

My advice, rearrange your other expenses to fit your budget, looks like your better off with what you have since you need a car.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:55 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times
Hey OP i'm in the same situation but with a 2013 Mini. Bought in June 2013, 1.9% APR. Fun and cool to drive, but as i'm nearing the 3 year mark it's starting to scare me (the dreaded high maintenance costs). I was also about 5k upside down due to my last trade in.

I think Electrician4you also answered in my thread LOL. I ended up putting 2k in a savings account especially for the Mini (i'm going to add to it as time goes on). I'm not getting an extended warranty. Seems like those warranties cover every mofo'ing thing but THE thing that's wrong with the car.

I'm going to take my chances and keep it until I "zero out" (not roll extra $$ into a new car loan) hopefully by then there will be some good APR plans available.

I have not missed or been late with any payment with the finance company. I used to work for Toyota Financial in the 90's, and sometimes they would let previous TFS customers get in on a decent APR with lates on another account....only because they were not jacking around and kept the TFS account current.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:44 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
What year is your Audi A4 and how many miles do you have?

Old 12-31-2014, 02:05 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
I would just keep it, you are going from one used car to the next though the Honda may be a little less painful. I can't imagine any A4 with "serious miles" netting $14k trade in, sorry.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:48 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Unfortunately, JMPride . . .

I have a feeling you will need to pay-off the loan on the Audi and obtain a new loan for the Honda, or any other vehicle, new or used, you decide to purchase.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:12 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
I disagree about the high mileage Audi being a better car than the Honda. (expensive to maintain!) However, I agree, keep the Audi at this stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi