Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:43 AM

934 posts, read 1,347,403 times

Advertisements

I would extend it all the way to Sandbar Ferry reaching 520. Of course spruce the existing river-walk. I would a dock or a board walk to the river-walk so people could actually walk on the river. Add shops and events dedicated to the river-walk and make the river-walk its own community within downtown just like the Artist Row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 10:40 PM

998 posts, read 1,550,731 times
I like the idea of a floating wharf/dock full of shops and restaurants on the water to get foot traffic... I don't know if that will pose a problem/safety concerns for the thunder on the river races every year, but definitely a unique idea.

Personally, I think that until downtown truly turns around (crime, pan-handlers, etc.) the Riverwalk is at capacity until the rest of the vacant riverfront property is developed... and who knows when that will be? Getting the state of Georgia to put the Golf and Gardens land up for sale between now and the time i die... would be a good start. Just to clarify, downtown has had a bad reputation for it's past and it's going to take longer than a few years for people to get over that and "feel safe".

Old 05-23-2011, 01:42 PM

934 posts, read 1,347,403 times
Its time for people to stop feeling unsafe. Augusta has some of the lowest crime rates in the region, prob the nation. Safety in number more people on the street less likely to get mugged or harassed by pan-handlers. The river walk is key to downtown success and adding something new would spark interest.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:38 PM

998 posts, read 1,550,731 times
I'm right there with you when it comes to the crime statistics and Augusta's standing to similar/larger cities... I was referring more to the riverwalk at night though. There just isn't a reason to be on the riverwalk at night and the numbers for safety aren't there until more is done to develop the vacant property along the river. You're fine during the day, maybe a pan-handler or two (the last time i went this happened)... but it's still dark at night and feels claustrophobic almost being down on the other side of the levee and separated from the city. When development happens and more lights are put up because of it... people will come.

My brother is a richmond county deputy... things are being done to improve downtown's safety, I assure you.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,143,312 times
from experience in other cities if you create a place to sit, linger, conversation, observe, and relax they will come. So small food venues along the walk away things to stop and look at ( like sculptures)Food, drinks, music on the water to create meeting/linger points will make more collect near that area.

Pan handler's will only go were allowed. If the police crack down on them to keep moving and not loiter and panhandle they will go where it is less of a hassle to do so.They wont go away completely once they have started but they will be less invasive if they know it brings them hassles if they don't.

The festivals that highlight the downtown will also help.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:41 AM

199 posts, read 365,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Its time for people to stop feeling unsafe. Augusta has some of the lowest crime rates in the region, prob the nation. Safety in number more people on the street less likely to get mugged or harassed by pan-handlers. The river walk is key to downtown success and adding something new would spark interest.
Tell that to my son-in-law, who vowed to never again attend First Friday because he got tired of having guys step up nose-to-nose to him and say,-"Yo, white boy, gimme 5 dollars..." or seeing young women go at each other like rabid cats on the middle of the sidewalk.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:42 AM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,143,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriado View Post
Tell that to my son-in-law, who vowed to never again attend First Friday because he got tired of having guys step up nose-to-nose to him and say,-"Yo, white boy, gimme 5 dollars..." or seeing young women go at each other like rabid cats on the middle of the sidewalk.

I think that's more a lack of self worth then if Augusta is safe (or the ability to be safer). if your town is full of morons you get a front row seat to their idioticy. If you want a different set of mentality of people you have to give them a reason to be drawn to the city first. i think Augusta is working on that. Once more of those set of people are present they , like you won't tolerate their retard behaviors and will demand something be done about them.

its a slow process.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:57 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,696,204 times
In response to the question in the topic, I'd make portions of the Riverwalk along the river wider and actually go into the water, like a boardwalk/pier sort of thing, that way you'd have a lot more space for festivals and street vendors, I also think it would be cool for a few small restaurants and shops to be built on stilts over the water.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:56 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriado View Post
Sure this happen Expatriado, Disgustasucks, Jacksonhole, Disgustatruth, Par4ham, etc...

Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 AM

199 posts, read 365,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Sure this happen Expatriado, Disgustasucks, Jacksonhole, Disgustatruth, Par4ham, etc...
Yeah, and you'll deny, deny, deny, because of course, Augusta is Shambala, or so you want everybody not from there to believe for the sake of your DDA puppetmasters. Once again folks, log on to the Augusta Chronicle, WRDW, and WAGT to get a real feel of how "spotless" Augusta is, last Friday the Board of Education staff took a training day, half of it was on looking out for signs of neighborhood gang activity and active shooter training after that (hint, look up Operation Augusta Ink, where there's smoke, there's fire my friends).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area