Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 02:18 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
See what was just said above. I expected more historical character with the city.
I'm saying, based on what? I'm trying to figure out what the sources are of your lofty expectations of the city. Seems like you just pulled them out of thin air and that's confusing.

But Augusta did experience a devastating fire in 1916 that might have something to do with it.

Quote:
Atlanta ain't perfect either and I'd rather not live here either as you can tell by my "Atlanta sadly" as my location, but Augusta.... just like wow...why would anyone want to live here? It seems depressing to say the least....void of anything interesting.
That's very subjective, but just let it be known that in many cases, the most historic places with the most "interesting" stuff aren't the largest cities with the biggest economies. Savannah is definitely more interesting to visit, but Augusta is more livable overall. It has more industry, more jobs, is more educated, has more shopping options, etc. Those things are going to be the main drivers as to why people live anywhere, the standard quality of life criteria. Nice downtown areas are a bonus, but they aren't the end-all, be-all for most people. And truth be told, Augusta is closer to the average for the downtown area of a Southern city (and isn't quite as bad as you're making it out to be IMO). Savannah is above average and an exception, so you're going to be greatly disappointed if you use it as a standard by which to judge every downtown you visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 06:04 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,389,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There is ZERO comparison between downtown Savannah and downtown Augusta. Savannah's downtown OK? It's one of the most dynamic, busy, exciting, beautiful, walkable, livable and VISITED downtowns in the nation. If Augusta had half the downtown Savannah has, it would be doing very well for itself. That's just being realistic. That's just stating fact.
You said savannah is the most historic city in the nation I beg the difference my friend. Let get the facts straight. When you
come to the savannah you get two for one the beach and it historic district but mostly the beach. I know how far Dt savannah is from the beach i been there before. The way you going on people will think you live in New York .

The Ten Most Historic Cities in the United States

Old 10-14-2012, 06:16 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,846,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
You said savannah is the most historic city in the nation I beg the difference my friend. Let get the facts straight. When you
come to the savannah you get two for one the beach and it historic district but mostly the beach. I know how far Dt savannah is from the beach i been there before. The way you going on people will think you live in New York .

Quote:
Savannah's downtown OK? It's ONE of the most dynamic, busy, exciting, beautiful, walkable, livable and VISITED downtowns in the nation.
He didn't say it was the best.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:27 PM

614 posts, read 1,102,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
That's sad,I never had to defend Columbus on a daily level.
Should Columbus ever overtake Augusta in population, you will. To some people, being the second largest city brings lofty expectations. Folks actually think that Augusta is to Atlanta as Pittsburgh is to Philadelphia or Raleigh is to Charlotte. And that's just not the case. There is going to be some transplant from the Atlanta metro or country bumpkin from some no name city in Ga, that is going to come to your city because it's the 2nd largest city in the state and bash it because it can't hold a candle to Atl or doesn't have the history of Savannah.

I've done my fair share of defending Augusta. I've heard everything from: I should have stayed on I-20 and is this it!

Old 10-14-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
He didn't say it was the best.
amazing historic district -- largest in the nation that's what he said.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:43 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,846,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
Should Columbus ever overtake Augusta in population, you will. To some people, being the second largest city brings lofty expectations. Folks actually think that Augusta is to Atlanta as Pittsburgh is to Philadelphia or Raleigh is to Charlotte. And that's just not the case. There is going to be some transplant from the Atlanta metro or country bumpkin from some no name city in Ga, that is going to come to your city because it's the 2nd largest city in the state and bash it because it can't hold a candle to Atl or doesn't have the history of Savannah.

I've done my fair share of defending Augusta. I've heard everything from: I should have stayed on I-20 and is this it!
To be honest,this thread was wrong in the first place. I don't know about the slow driving,but I do know you can't go into DT Augusta thinking its anything like Savannah.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:52 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Technically, Savannah's historic district is the largest registered urban National Historic Landmark district in the United States. That's different from saying it has the largest historic downtown in the country.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:03 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Accurate on both counts. Mutiny77 is right. Look it up.

Don't know why you're so obsessed with the beach. Most Savannahians never go there.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Technically, Savannah's historic district is the largest registered urban National Historic Landmark district in the United States. That's different from saying it has the largest historic downtown in the country.
Ok I will give him that but augusta still the better all around cities hand down end of the story. We maybe behind now in our DT but not for long so get all your jokes and punch line in now after it all said done we will move ahead.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:28 AM

250 posts, read 580,840 times
WOW! After reading this Ill just throw my 2 cents in. If you visited and didnt like it...dont come back. Thats fine. Its not the end of the world if a person that dislikes the Downtown area or any other part of Augusta doesnt come back. There are enough people that actually do like the city and what it has to offer. Augusta will be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area