Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 10:12 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,412,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Well we all know that nort can spin things...but you doing the same thing does nothing for your stance as it does nothing for nort's when he does it.
I don't know what "stance" I have that you're inferring, but I can assure you that you're wrong. I don't have one on this subject other than basing my opinions on reality. My calling what I said "spin" was simply sarcasm. I'm not spinning anything. I have no problem with churches or any other non-profit buying up properties (but I can assure you that municipalities do, based on my experience when my church expressed interest in buying the old Kroger in North Augusta). But to use that to further the spin that a church buying up land equals some huge private investment is ridiculous when anything a church buys or owns is not taxed. Especially when the homes that eventually ended up on these parcels were sold at substantial losses and subsidized by significant amounts of taxpayer monies. But then again, any minor investment equals huge strides in the eyes of certain posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 10:18 AM

568 posts, read 699,131 times
The church (non-profit) spent funds that are not taxable... how does that equate to investment? It is a fine example of community outreach, but that's not the topic.

Cudo's to the businesses that are coming to 1022 Walton Way.... but the biggest player of the bunch is basically relocating not a new business.

Tell me again how selling homes for 20% (at least) less than they cost to build is an investment and appropriate use of public funds?

Old 06-23-2014, 10:19 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
Integrity is vacating a space across the street to move into this one. If they were *expanding* to add the space across the street I'd be more impressed. But as it stands this is nothing more than what happened when stores left Regency for Augusta Mall or when any other new strip mall opens here and stores leave other ones to move to the latest and greatest. And Diablo's, yes. Like I said, another fast food joint. "Three other tenants" is actually translated as three other yet-to-be-leased spaces. I don't count chickens before they hatch.
They're *expanding* to add space and they want a more attractive building... The current building is around 5,000 to 6,000 square feet and the new building will be close to 15,000 square feet.. The development will also bring four new businesses into the area....

The Regency Mall and Augusta were located on two different sides of town and not 3 minutes apart similar to this case..

The people attending Diablos go inside to eat and they don't offer a drive-thru..

Old 06-23-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I don't know what "stance" I have that you're inferring, but I can assure you that you're wrong. I don't have one on this subject other than basing my opinions on reality. My calling what I said "spin" was simply sarcasm. I'm not spinning anything. I have no problem with churches or any other non-profit buying up properties (but I can assure you that municipalities do, based on my experience when my church expressed interest in buying the old Kroger in North Augusta). But to use that to further the spin that a church buying up land equals some huge private investment is ridiculous when anything a church buys or owns is not taxed. Especially when the homes that eventually ended up on these parcels were sold at substantial losses and subsidized by significant amounts of taxpayer monies. But then again, any minor investment equals huge strides in the eyes of certain posters.
This is 100% FALSE.... Your obviously confusing the United House of Prayer redevelopment efforts with the city of Augusta.. The United House of Prayer redevelopment project and the city's projects are different from each other..

The subsidized homes are related to the city's efforts and only half of the homes purchased were subsidized...

The United House of Prayer constructed rental units...
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/87...5dfb80c2b1.jpg

The hotel tax is paying for the improvements and not the local taxpayers...

Last edited by nortonguy; 06-23-2014 at 10:31 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
There was not a disconnect. I don't find it negative that a church is allowed to by property and not pay taxes on it. However you do.
Then it appears we disagree... That's acceptable.

I live in realism... I face it everyday... I have to pay for everything I consume. I can't build a house for $200K and sell it for $170K plus perks and survive.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 AM

No matter how many times you say it... it's still not true.

The hotel tax is a local sales tax that belongs to the taxpayers... giving the money to LWB as a bribe doesn't change anything.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:38 AM

614 posts, read 1,102,008 times
This forum has turned into the AC comment section. I was in Augusta recently and can say that things were as I expected. Many of the areas around the city are getting better except DT. One of the things I did was get a slice of tiramisu and cheesecake from bollweevil. Maybe its just me, but are there more homeless folks down there now? Then, I went to var to check out the Cabela's. There (var)were way more people there than all of downtown. I seem to keep missing something each time I comeback. Where are all the convention folks that the people behind the TEE promised? Where is all the development? Augusta missed out on numerous projects that could've changed DT but managed to build a convention center for a hotel.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:48 AM

Lol.. All some people want to do is argue over everything, but never contribute anything productive to the forum.. I've been said the forum was turning many people off including me in the past..

Can you please explain what parts of town are getting better except DT? The Sprint Food Metro Market opens next month and 356 Sushi and Martini bar($1.3 million) begins construction soon..

Downtown is EASILY in top three among the areas with the most recent improvements.. It's real hard to believe you don't think adding the new Whiskey Bar Kitchen, Craft & Vine, Farmhaus Burgers, O'Donavans, Sprint Food Metro Market, Brown Bag, Boars Head Public House, Augusta Lung Associates, etc is getting better...

The Costco parking lot is usually pretty congested, but the Cabela's is still fairly new and it's nowhere close to being full everyday..

The Holiday Inn Express & Suites just opened and there's another proposal for a downtown hotel...

Old 06-23-2014, 12:30 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,200 times
Quote:
Actually I'm not wrong because its my opinion. You had some very valid arguments until you went into spin mode which made your argument look ridiculous.

The reason why the church buying up that land is significant for that part of town is because of the many vacant and dilapidated buildings in that area and lots just sitting empty. I would definitely rather a church buy the land than for it to sit there attracting criminals which is a problem on a lot of vacant properties in that area.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:38 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pu239 View Post
The church (non-profit) spent funds that are not taxable... how does that equate to investment? It is a fine example of community outreach, but that's not the topic.

Cudo's to the businesses that are coming to 1022 Walton Way.... but the biggest player of the bunch is basically relocating not a new business.

Tell me again how selling homes for 20% (at least) less than they cost to build is an investment and appropriate use of public funds?
One is it will raise property values down in that area. Private investors are more likely to develop in areas where they don't have to worry about abandoned buildings and overgrown lots bringing down the value of their properties. The real issue appears to be whether you think the government should get involve with trying to invest in downtown and the surrounding areas or should they just let it continue to let it languish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area