Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 08:42 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,168,045 times

Advertisements

Do any of ya'll think Publix would put a store in the area. It's kinda odd to me that ARC only has one Publix store. Compared to other second tier cities in the state, Augusta-Richmond proper has the fewest stores. Columbus has four, Savannah has two and even Macon-Bibb has two stores. I think a Publix would be well suited for the Jimmy Dyess Pkwy corridor and the Windsor Spring corridor. There are plenty of new subdivsions being built in those areas and the incomes to support a Publix store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 09:04 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Do any of ya'll think Publix would put a store in the area. It's kinda odd to me that ARC only has one Publix store. Compared to other second tier cities in the state, Augusta-Richmond proper has the fewest stores. Columbus has four, Savannah has two and even Macon-Bibb has two stores. I think a Publix would be well suited for the Jimmy Dyess Pkwy corridor and the Windsor Spring corridor. There are plenty of new subdivisions being built in those areas and the incomes to support a Publix store.
Are you referring to Publix stores within city limits?

Outside Richmond County, Publix has three stores in Columbia County and two stores in Aiken County, South Carolina. It should have more than six stores in the three-county area. It would be nice to see Publix open additional stores in the Augusta area.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Are you referring to Publix stores within city limits?

Outside Richmond County, Publix has three stores in Columbia County and two stores in Aiken County, South Carolina. It should have more than six stores in the three-county area. It would be nice to see Publix open additional stores in the Augusta area.
I was referring to the city limits. It's crazy to me that Augusta-Richmond County only has one Publix store. The county certainly has the demographics to support an additional two stores.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:33 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
I was referring to the city limits. It's crazy to me that Augusta-Richmond County only has one Publix store. The county certainly has the demographics to support an additional two stores.
Asheville, North Carolina, and Spartanburg, South Carolina, can join Augusta as cities having one Publix store. Publix has two stores in Spartanburg County, South Carolina, and is currently constructing its second Buncombe County, North Carolina, store that will open in 2017.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Asheville, North Carolina, and Spartanburg, South Carolina, can join Augusta as cities having one Publix store. Publix has two stores in Spartanburg County, South Carolina, and is currently constructing its second Buncombe County, North Carolina, store that will open in 2017.
That is true, but Publix is just now coming to North Carolina. It's been in the Augusta area for a while now. I think Publix has a chance to make a bigger impact in the Augusta market if it opened stores South Richmond County, the Jimmy Dyess area and of course the rapidly growing Grovetown area. Right now it seems like only Kroger and Wal-Mart, with the neighborhood market stores, are making moves in this growing market.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:06 AM

194 posts, read 163,294 times
Quote:
Do any of ya'll think Publix would put a store in the area. It's kinda odd to me that ARC only has one Publix store. Compared to other second tier cities in the state, Augusta-Richmond proper has the fewest stores. Columbus has four, Savannah has two and even Macon-Bibb has two stores. I think a Publix would be well suited for the Jimmy Dyess Pkwy corridor and the Windsor Spring corridor. There are plenty of new subdivsions being built in those areas and the incomes to support a Publix store.
This sounds kinda weird I guess, but I put Chick-Fil-A and Publix on the same level in the sense that they want to feel special. They see themselves as the cream of the crop and want their customers to want to go there. Neither of those companies have a business model where they flood the market with locations. If there was one on every corner no one would want to go there.. then they would be just like every other grocery store.

Idk, just my thoughts. I do agree that Augusta proper could definitely support another Publix though.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:08 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,200 times
Quote:
That is true, but Publix is just now coming to North Carolina. It's been in the Augusta area for a while now. I think Publix has a chance to make a bigger impact in the Augusta market if it opened stores South Richmond County, the Jimmy Dyess area and of course the rapidly growing Grovetown area. Right now it seems like only Kroger and Wal-Mart, with the neighborhood market stores, are making moves in this growing market.
I think Public faces stiff competition from Kroger in this market. It seems for the most part that Kroger does a lot more business than Publix. And of course Walmart is always successful for the most part. But I could see a Publix locating in near the Belair- Jimmy Dyess area and also in Hephzibah/south RC area.

On a another note I was going mention that I hope a fed ex store would be one of the stores with the new phase but while at Walmart today I noticed "Goin Postal" was going in one of the still vacant spots so that probably won't happen.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:49 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
The Gateway adding Publix in the Medical District makes better sense than any of the locations mentioned in here..

Quote:
Columbus has a total of zero Bilo stores.. Columbus and Macon don't have an Whole Foods or Costco... Savannah doesn't have an Costco..

Quote:
Lidl is the number one grocery store making moves in the market. Kroger is building one store and renovating two other's.. I haven't seen any plans for another Walmart(market store) except for Grovetown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keatkeat_ View Post
This sounds kinda weird I guess, but I put Chick-Fil-A and Publix on the same level in the sense that they want to feel special. They see themselves as the cream of the crop and want their customers to want to go there. Neither of those companies have a business model where they flood the market with locations. If there was one on every corner no one would want to go there.. then they would be just like every other grocery store.

Idk, just my thoughts. I do agree that Augusta proper could definitely support another Publix though.
Chick Fil A's are pretty much on every corner in Richmond County.. The Augusta Mall, Washington road, Peach Orchard, and Augusta Exchange..

Old 06-11-2016, 12:20 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The Gateway adding Publix in the Medical District makes better sense than any of the locations mentioned in here..

Columbus has a total of zero Bilo stores.. Columbus and Macon don't have an Whole Foods or Costco... Savannah doesn't have an Costco..

Lidl is the number one grocery store making moves in the market. Kroger is building one store and renovating two other's.. I haven't seen any plans for another Walmart(market store) except for Grovetown.

Chick Fil A's are pretty much on every corner in Richmond County.. The Augusta Mall, Washington road, Peach Orchard, and Augusta Exchange..

While Publix may locate at the gateway, they normally locate in higher income areas which would be at the areas that we mentioned...Belair/Jimmy Dyess and Hephzibah/Tobacco Rd area.

And if you look over the past couple of years, Walmart has definitely been the most aggressive about expanding although you are right about Lidl making moves but that's because they are new to the area. They still won't have as many locations as the Walmart or Kroger.

And I guess "every corner" is subjective. I wouldn't consider Chic Fil A as being on every corner IMO. Maybe that would be true for McDonalds, Waffle House or Subway.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:09 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
While Publix may locate at the gateway, they normally locate in higher income areas which would be at the areas that we mentioned...Belair/Jimmy Dyess and Hephzibah/Tobacco Rd area.

And if you look over the past couple of years, Walmart has definitely been the most aggressive about expanding although you are right about Lidl making moves but that's because they are new to the area. They still won't have as many locations as the Walmart or Kroger.

And I guess "every corner" is subjective. I wouldn't consider Chic Fil A as being on every corner IMO. Maybe that would be true for McDonalds, Waffle House or Subway.
The Gateway will be within 10 minutes of the Medical District, CBD, Summerville, Waters Edge, Olde Town, and Forest Hills... Can't get any more 'high income' in the CSRA... 'High income' employees in the Medical District can literally walk to the area..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area