Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:33 PM

19 posts, read 78,085 times

Advertisements

Hi, My son 3 years old has been having lots of congestion, cough, and swollen tonsils. He already had his adenoids removed last April, but now the problems seem to come back. Should he get a tonsillectomy done too? Any recommendations on ENT docs? (We live in Round Rock) I appreciate any replies. Cutemommy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 03:44 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,853,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutemommy View Post
Hi, My son 3 years old has been having lots of congestion, cough, and swollen tonsils. He already had his adenoids removed last April, but now the problems seem to come back. Should he get a tonsillectomy done too? Any recommendations on ENT docs? (We live in Round Rock) I appreciate any replies. Cutemommy
If your son has habitual throat problems due to his tonsils, then you are doing him a favor by having them removed.

However.

You really should ask your primary doctor. He knows a lot more about the human body then we do. He will probably recommend an ENT as well.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:03 PM

254 posts, read 281,649 times
My daughter had her adenoids out at 3 y.o. also. She was experiencing sleep apnea and hearing reductions due to the adenoids being enlarged. That helped greatly at the time, however we are now planning on getting her tonsils also. She is 5 now and her tonsils have been very swollen for at least the last 9 months and are causing her to experience sleep apnea again. She has always been as healthy as a horse and has never gotten an infection in the ears/nose/throat.

From what her ENT has said and my own research (online and family friend that is an ENT nurse for decades), the most important consideration is how much are the tonsils interfering with sleep.

My daughter's ENT is Dr. Meigs at ARC Round Rock. I think he has a great bedside manner with small children and surgery is not his automatic solution to everything, which I think is a plus.

Good luck! I know it can be a hard decision to make!

Last edited by wildflower_FL; 08-08-2010 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-08-2010, 04:54 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,625,844 times
I use a really good ENT have been going to him since I was a little kid Dr. Boyd Morgan

AENT - Dr. Morgan

Old 08-08-2010, 06:12 PM

37 posts, read 128,264 times
I understand you asking for ENT recommendations for this board.
However, asking a group of complete strangers if your child should have surgery is a bit beyond the scope of the board, in my opinion.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:45 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,060,087 times
I've had tonsillitis twice in my life when I was a kid. The doctor told me that your tonsils were needed and it wasn't a good idea to get them taken out.

I haven't had it ever since and still have them.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:21 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,853,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I've had tonsillitis twice in my life when I was a kid. The doctor told me that your tonsils were needed and it wasn't a good idea to get them taken out.

I haven't had it ever since and still have them.
Well, that's not 100% correct. The tonsils are BELIEVED to be part of your immune system and help to be the first line of defense against swallowed foreign bodies or disease, BUT there is no conclusive proof of that. Doctors just don't know.

Most doctors will tell you to just leave your tonsils alone if you have isolated cases of tonsillitis. But if you are having apnea problems or frequent bouts of tonsillitis, then a doctor will rip out your tonsils in about 3 seconds, without a second thought. You don't HAVE to have them, but most doctors err on the side of caution because no one is 100% sure what they are for.

The human body is a wonderful, mysterious and disgusting machine.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:04 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,109,113 times
You should get 2 opinions from reputable ENTs, then make you decision based on that. This forum is not a good place to get medical advice. Jay's post is correct in that there are plenty of unknowns when it comes to the tonsils. Your child's particular situation should be sorted out by professionals with the experience to give you a basis on which to decide.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:18 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,877,596 times
Agree with Grasshopper and Jay. Get 2-3 opinions. Whatever is posted is here is highly subjective.

But also, read up on this, there are plenty of resources on the web. Some docs are against removing tonsils, some for it. Some say that removing the infected surface of the tonsils (tonsilEctomy, rather than Otomy)can work rather than cutting into the throat wall and removing them.

The issues could be anatomical or result of being exposed to lots of bugs. Have they checked your child for a sinus infection? The stuffiness and cough and resulting tonsil issues could be from this. I've suffered with this and had them for months at a time.

Again, see other docs for opinions so you can make an informed decision. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2010, 05:29 PM

19 posts, read 78,085 times
Thanks everybody for replying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: