Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 AM

187 posts, read 468,073 times

Advertisements

Wish I was old enough to have seen ZZ Top there! LOL!
Even more so for SRV! Rock on!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 12:42 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
- I'm guessing the Boss played the Armadillo in 73 or 74. (i know after the Time / Newsweek covers came out he would have moved to the Drum aka the Erwin Center).
He had to have played a bit earlier...maybe 70 - 71. While in HS, my dad turned down going to Austin with some friends one weekend and when they got back they told him he should check out a guy they saw at the Armadillo cause he was right up my dad's alley and it was Bruce Springsteen.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:51 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,241,105 times

Last edited by SacalaitWhisperer; 10-14-2010 at 01:00 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 02:16 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor_Mom View Post
Hound! LOL!

Too bad Austin's music scene isn't like that anymore!
I don't think ANY music scene's are like that anymore. Different era with different social circumstances and expectations.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:39 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I tried to scan rather than skim; but, I didn't see Neil Diamond's name anywhere. AWHQ sounds like a perfect venue for him in the '70s, especially early on. Any ND fans remember an appearance by him during that period?
It would be interesting to see the history of the Palmer Events Center for that kind of info. It seems like I saw him there (then called Palmer Auditorium) in the 70s, but now I'm not really sure. It was a popular venue, before its decline and current resurrection.

Last edited by capcat; 10-14-2010 at 04:16 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 04:29 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times
Quote:
Wish I was old enough to have seen ZZ Top there! LOL!
Even more so for SRV! Rock on!!!!
I saw ZZ Top at the historic Memorial Stadium concert in 1974, the last concert allowed there until the Eagles, about 20 years later. ZZ Top, Joe Cocker, Bad Company, Santana and others were at that Labor Day bbq and concert. I've read that 80,000 were in attendance. By the time we got there, no one was collecting/selling tickets (back when you didn't have to buy tickets to anything months or weeks in advance!), so people just walked in. The stands were full, so we "had" to sit on the turf right in front of the stage. People brought alcohol in, no one checked. It was very hot, and there weren't provisions for water, so someone came to the front and starting passing around big jugs of wine (great for hydration ). A lot went on that I won't mention. lol We parked on Pearl Street and walked over, no shuttles that I remember. It was Austin in the 1970s.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:08 AM

What happened to Austin between then & now?? Is this loss of the "coolness factor" what happens when a city "grows up"??? (sigh)

I can just imagine how AFD & APD would react to something like that happening today! :/

Old 10-15-2010, 08:58 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
What happened to Austin between then & now?? Is this loss of the "coolness factor" what happens when a city "grows up"??? (sigh)

I can just imagine how AFD & APD would react to something like that happening today! :/
It's not just Austin... more like "what has happened to society in general in this country?" Back in Dallas, we had one of those "never could happen today crazy general admission festivals" (actually had it yearly!) called the Texxas Jam.

What has happened? The slow and general shift to a more nanny-state, litigious, zero tolerance society. The slightly-slippery slope. Probably safer, but possibly a lot less fun.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
It's not just Austin... more like "what has happened to society in general in this country?" Back in Dallas, we had one of those "never could happen today crazy general admission festivals" (actually had it yearly!) called the Texxas Jam.

What has happened? The slow and general shift to a more nanny-state, litigious, zero tolerance society. The slightly-slippery slope. Probably safer, but possibly a lot less fun.
A whole LOT less fun! The country is starting to turn into "Animal Farm" ... some are more equal than others ... ya know?

pretty sad actually ...

Old 10-15-2010, 10:33 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
BTW, I think the second pic in SacalaitWhisperer's message is not related to the Armadillo WH, as much as it is an ad for another famous Austin institution: Inner Sanctum Records. Inner Sanctum Records - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back before the internet and ebay, it was one of those places where you could find stuff you'd never see anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: