Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 04:34 AM

65 posts, read 147,869 times

Advertisements

I have spent significant time in the northeast (Connecticut, NYC), the Pacific Northwest (Seattle, Portland) and vacationed extensively in the bay.

I like live music, good bars, outgoing people, staying out late, good food, etc.

Portland and NYC are my two favorite places I have lived thus far, but lately have been searching for a new paradise, one that is preferably in the sun.

Do you think I would like Austin? What is something about Austin one should know before coming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 06:03 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,871 times
Yes, Austin has all of those things, and is a nice place to live.

The thing you should know before coming is that the job market is pretty tight. You either need to make sure you have a job lined up before coming, or you need to have substantial savings so that you can make it for awhile with no job. It's not unusual for it to take 8 months to find a job. I know some people who have been looking for over a year and they are well-qualified and experienced.

What field are you in?

Old 01-12-2011, 06:12 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
I wouldn't call Austin paradise. I love it, but it's got its drawbacks. It doesn't have the options that NYC has and it can feel a bit isolated at times in terms of short road trips - of course Seattle is like that too.

It's quite a different place than anywhere you've lived (based on your list). We lived in Seattle and Newport RI and we prefer Austin out of the three.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:49 AM

113 posts, read 371,552 times
You will be much more car-dependent than in NYC or Portland. The 'city' is small and doesn't have the diversity or charm of neighborhoods like Portland. Much of it is suburban. You should be able to find what you like in Austin (plus a lot of sun), but it's more big town/suburbs than city feel.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:29 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnLove View Post
I have spent significant time in the northeast (Connecticut, NYC), the Pacific Northwest (Seattle, Portland) and vacationed extensively in the bay.

I like live music, good bars, outgoing people, staying out late, good food, etc.

Portland and NYC are my two favorite places I have lived thus far, but lately have been searching for a new paradise, one that is preferably in the sun.

Do you think I would like Austin? What is something about Austin one should know before coming?
I love austin, but if you love NYC and portland you may have a difficult time adjusting here. Have you thought about san francisco or LA?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:02 PM

92 posts, read 308,782 times
I'd agree with austin97 here. If you like busy life style and like the sun, then i'd say Southern California (or SF) might be a better fit for you. I LOVE the CA weather - not too hot and not to cold unlike Austin. Though general I personally think ppl here in Austin are much more friendly than ppl in CA (I lived there for 4 yrs before I moved to Austin). Another thing to consider is the living cost - it's much more expensive to live in LA/SF than in Austin. I miss CA weather w/ the beach and all other great places, but I kinder like Austin - a nice small city w/ friendly ppl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: