Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 09:35 PM

57 posts, read 518,613 times

Advertisements

I'm closing on my new home probably next week.

I'm with BAC no closing cost loan program and it says the title insurance is $300.

Meanwile my seller (builder,new contruction) says he would pay the cost of title policy(which about1%) if we go with his title insurance company...

So ...whats the difference between the two and which one should I go for...

I'd be more than happy if someone could explain me in detail.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 09:50 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
The cost of the title policy is set by the State of Texas, not by the title company. All charge the same, by law. Here's the current rates (http://www.alamotitle-austin.com/library/20/TexasTitleInsuranceRates.pdf - broken link).

The $300 is likely for the title insurance that the lender requires the borrower to pay. That's considerably less.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:38 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,607,236 times
The builder likely wants to pick the title company because he is familiar with the closers and has had good service from them in the past. It is well worth $300 to keep the closing at a place you know will do it right.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,947 times
The title premium in texas is promulgated meaning the actual policy premium should always be calculated the same, however there is an application of reissue rate for remaining amount of the prior mortgage and this is applied for a discount on a refinance. As for a purchase policy, the premium rates should be the same among providers. There MAY BE a difference in the settlement service costs - escrow, courier, signing fees, etc. which can be added to the cost to the title company services. BAC has joint ownership in a title agency which serves Texas as I understand and so they can offer the no cost option when competing with other banks. For the builder, they may own a title company such as DHI - DHI Title as an example is associated with DR Horton I believe. The cost of the policy may not differ but the additional services may well vary. Shop the settlement costs to verify. Best of luck.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:26 PM

171 posts, read 422,882 times
It shouldn't hurt to check with an outside lender, and make sure you're not getting the short end of the deal from the 'preferred lender'. Our outside lender beat the preferred one by a half-point plus lower closing costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin