Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:22 PM

19 posts, read 35,637 times

Advertisements

I don't live in Austin yet, folks! I am talking about other parts of Texas! I am hoping it is different in Austin... because I don't much like being asked, upon discovering I am new to town, if I have found a church yet and when I say I am not Christian, having the afforementioned "friendly native" *still* invite me to her church anyway, complete with address and meeting times...just in case I change my mind. There's maybe-you-would-want-to-make-some-friends-at-my-church friendly and there's oh-dear-your-not-Christian,-I-will-pray-for-you-to-change-your-heathen-mind-and-do-my-best-to-try-to-get-you-to-hear-the-Lord's-word friendly. I have only seen the later in Texas. I never lived in the Bible Belt before though. Good to hear that people wont care much in Austin proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 05:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionbird View Post
I don't live in Austin yet, folks! I am talking about other parts of Texas! I am hoping it is different in Austin... because I don't much like being asked, upon discovering I am new to town, if I have found a church yet and when I say I am not Christian, having the afforementioned "friendly native" *still* invite me to her church anyway, complete with address and meeting times...just in case I change my mind. There's maybe-you-would-want-to-make-some-friends-at-my-church friendly and there's oh-dear-your-not-Christian,-I-will-pray-for-you-to-change-your-heathen-mind-and-do-my-best-to-try-to-get-you-to-hear-the-Lord's-word friendly. I have only seen the later in Texas. I never lived in the Bible Belt before though. Good to hear that people wont care much in Austin proper.
On a 6-1 vote the Austin City Council has approved a resolution to extend to you an invitation that: "maybe-you-would-want-to-make-some-friends-at-my-church" and resolved that "oh-dear-your-not-Christian,-I-will-pray-for-you-to-change-your-heathen-mind-and-do-my-best-to-try-to-get-you-to-hear-the-Lord's-word" & pray for your soul.

May God bless...

Old 03-25-2011, 05:32 PM

19 posts, read 35,637 times
I hope you used cut and paste for that

Old 03-25-2011, 07:18 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
We're moving from the Boulder-area to Austin within the next two months so while I don't really know Austin yet, I do know Boulder. Pretty damned tolerant, yes; although I'm originally from the Bay Area and SF so my expectations surrounding tolerance may be different than others'. I will be looking forward to more of a city feeling wrapped up with the 'Liberal-leaning college community for outdoorsy people' vibe you mention. Truthfully though, Boulder offers a great mix of everything I value... if I could afford it, I'd live and die in an old mansion on Mapleton Ave. but we haven't won the lottery yet. That said, everything outside of Boulder and the mountains, which are beautiful, isn't all that unique, thus, we're enthusiastic about moving to a 'big Boulder' -- as many, many people have referred to Austin -- and enjoy more of that same tone but a bigger city.

We lived in Denver for 5 yrs. and Boulder is a lot more liberal than Austin. The only thing they have in common are colleges and outdoor lifestyle.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:30 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:

Stereotype run amok.....I've lived in different parts of Texas and never once had anyone shove church down my throat like that/ask where I go to church/invited to go to church....I'm surprised to hear that this happens to all newcomers to the state. There must be a rogue group of about 5 bored housewives traveling the State. Sort of like when I lived in Denver and had one of my clients (a native Coloradan) tell me about the rogue group of car keying people who do cruel things to transplants from Texas and California.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:41 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
I thought liberals were supposed to be tolerant??
Usually a 'no thanks, i'm not religious' is enough.
Why does 'tolerance' usually mean tolerant for liberal causes....not conservative ones?

Old 03-25-2011, 08:28 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Why does 'tolerance' usually mean tolerant for liberal causes....not conservative ones?
Hey, I hold my tongue around gun owners/NRA types, Escalade drivers, 9/11 was an inside jobbers, Alex Jones fans, and lots of others!!

And here is why . . . most of the time, that is NOT the most important aspect of someone. They may have beliefs that I don't share but if they are dependable, friendly, a good neighbor, reliable in a crisis, kind, THAT is what really counts!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:36 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
You are making an assumption. Lionbird didn't express any liberal/conservative beliefs, just that he/she was not a Christian. Could have been a conservative Jew, or lots of other belief systems that are apolitical. You are assuming that not being Christian is the same as not being religious. There was no mention of any cause, but just a complaint about perceived rudeness. Lionbird never mentioned being a liberal, so you seem to be assuming that. Perhaps you look for opportunities to say "I thought liberals were supposed to be tolerant", but I don't think this was an appropriate one.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:47 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
You are making an assumption. Lionbird didn't express any liberal/conservative beliefs, just that he/she was not a Christian. Could have been a conservative Jew, or lots of other belief systems that are apolitical. You are assuming that not being Christian is the same as not being religious. There was no mention of any cause, but just a complaint about perceived rudeness. Lionbird never mentioned being a liberal, so you seem to be assuming that. Perhaps you look for opportunities to say "I thought liberals were supposed to be tolerant", but I don't think this was an appropriate one.
You're right- I just hit reply to the last post of the thread that's called "people's republic of austin/boulder" where the a poster stated that they wanted a "tolerant" environment. I hear "tolerance" being tossed around as in being open to liberal causes, not conservative ones. That's all. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:18 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
You're right- I just hit reply to the last post of the thread that's called "people's republic of austin/boulder" where the a poster stated that they wanted a "tolerant" environment. I hear "tolerance" being tossed around as in being open to liberal causes, not conservative ones. That's all. Sorry for the confusion.
No problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin