Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:25 AM

11 posts, read 26,161 times

Advertisements

I'm considering trying for a job at the U of Texas in a year or so, but a big question mark in the move is how the job market is for my girlfriend. She's currently in the high-middle of her class at a top 30 law school in Boston (BC), and she thinks she's interested in working in trusts & estates law, tax or possibly IP (though with no tech background, IP could be tough). Though, honestly, she'd be thrilled to work as an attorney doing anything.

So my question is this: How is the job market for entry-level attorney positions around Austin? What's it like for an out-of-towner coming in and trying to find positions? Do you know of any good web resources I can steer her to for the job search?

Thanks in advance, this is a great forum and I'm looking forward to hearing from you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 02:09 PM

73 posts, read 154,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbiz21 View Post
I'm considering trying for a job at the U of Texas in a year or so, but a big question mark in the move is how the job market is for my girlfriend. She's currently in the high-middle of her class at a top 30 law school in Boston (BC), and she thinks she's interested in working in trusts & estates law, tax or possibly IP (though with no tech background, IP could be tough). Though, honestly, she'd be thrilled to work as an attorney doing anything.

So my question is this: How is the job market for entry-level attorney positions around Austin? What's it like for an out-of-towner coming in and trying to find positions? Do you know of any good web resources I can steer her to for the job search?

Thanks in advance, this is a great forum and I'm looking forward to hearing from you all.
Don't even waste your time. Colleges in Austin are pumping out way more people than there were jobs available for. Due to this you are dependent on the hook up regardless of how skilled/intellectual you are. You're an outsider so unless you have a year or two worth of living and partying expenses, don't even try it. Notice I said partying expenses. It's not enough to be present. People hire those that they party/user drugs with so you better be moneyed and sociable. That's the hard truth that few will tell you about Austin.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:55 PM

589 posts, read 1,813,080 times
Not good even for entry level Magna *** Laude grads. I have a colleague who is just starting out and he took a major career hit right out of the gate because he wanted to live in his home town (Austin). He did tell me the Dallas market is better and he had even turned down a very lucrative position.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:01 PM

293 posts, read 730,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
Magna *** Laude
Censored! Someone grab the soap!

Old 04-10-2011, 07:43 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,894 times
The legal market is tough here. Most folks earn their stripes elsewhere and come here as a seasoned attny with experience that makes you marketable.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:52 PM

589 posts, read 1,813,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
Censored! Someone grab the soap!
I know. I even went back and capitalized it but to no avail.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:13 AM

302 posts, read 690,645 times
I agree with the legal market being tough. A lot of very good lawyers end up working at the AG's office for peanuts because they could not find jobs elsewhere.

As in anything other move, it is highly recommended that you make sure you have a job in hand before you make the jump.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:54 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
She'd be competing with UT Law grads. That wouldn't work in her favor as UT is highly rated and many of the new hires will have been summer associates with the firms down here. Without a tech background she isn't likely to find an IP position.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
She'd be competing with UT Law grads. That wouldn't work in her favor as UT is highly rated and many of the new hires will have been summer associates with the firms down here. Without a tech background she isn't likely to find an IP position.
That's a really good point, UT is a good school that graduates a lot of lawyers for the size of the city, and I imagine many of them want to stay on in Austin. That definitely sucks to hear, while I'm not for sure on Austin among the options for cities we're looking at, it always sucks to have your options narrowed by necessity. What fields of law are big in Austin, anyway?

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies, btw. The cold hard truth is always better sooner rather than later.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
Not good even for entry level Magna *** Laude grads.
You can get a law degree in that?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: