Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:03 PM

66 posts, read 203,025 times

Advertisements

In looking for a house to buy in S. Austin, I came across the Sunset development off of Convict Hill just east of Mopac. (e.g. Pusch Ridge Loop, Triboro trail). I think I'd want stay on Pusch Ridge Loop to avoid Mopac noise, plus there is a greenbelt behind it.

I don't know anyone who has ever lived there. I have no idea who the builder/developer was. Is anyone familiar with that area? The neighborhood itself or the greenbelt?

Thanks!
Nina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 03:36 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,146,289 times
I have never been inside that little subdivision, but its a great location. If the house is good quality and the property is not in a flood plain I would not hesitate to buy there. Very close to shopping, hike and bike trails, restaurants. I have lived within 2-3 miles of there for close to 30 years in 2 different houses. Its a good area.

Some of that property near the ends of the two northmost cul-de-sacs is partially in a flood plain. See the map here: http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/watershed...d_cur_0580.pdf

More flood plain maps here City of Austin - Flood :: New Floodplain Maps :: PDFs

Anytime you are close to a greenbelt there is a good chance the area is close to a flood plain. In most of that area near those houses the flood plain is probably only 12" deep.

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-11-2011 at 03:55 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
before we tell the OP to blindly jump in head first....we would need to know the price points, and what they are getting for it, wouldn't we?

$300K for 2000 sf?

$200K for 3000 sf?

$150K for 1500 sf?
Who told her to blindly jump anywhere? Obviously the price has to be reasonable. She asked for an opinion on the neighborhood.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:55 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,032,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Obviously the price has to be reasonable. She asked for an opinion on the neighborhood.

I deleted my old post, as zillow only showed 3 houses for sale in that neighborhood.. I would say the prices were more than reasonable - about $75/sf for 2000-3000 sf.

It must be the schools, I suppose (Boone, Covington, Crockett). Another factor may be the age of the houses. They appear to be over 10 years old, and the structural warranties may have lapsed. I would request the seller to get an inspection done.

Last edited by jobert; 04-11-2011 at 04:08 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 03:59 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,032,015 times
Quote:
Obviously the price has to be reasonable.
You can't assume that prices in this city are reasonable. There are a still a lot of modest homes in this city with immodest prices.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:00 PM

Another plus, it is across the street from lifetime fitness and within walking distance of Costco, Randals, HEB, as well as Chuy's, Cheddar's, Kerby Lane Cafe & Panera Bread, not to mention Whataburger (best breakfast taco's), Taco Bell (crispy tacos), Nations Bank, my barber and eye doctor. If I lived there I'd hardly ever have to get in my car except to go to Home Depot or Lowe's, which are a very short drive away. I may have to go buy a house there. I like the fact that that little pocket neighborhood is surrounded by greenbelt with only one road in, noise and crime should be less of a problem.

Looking at the area in google street view, it all looks nicely maintained and manicured. The only thing I did not like was the siding used on some of the homes, lots of them were warping, others had mostly masonry and stucco exteriors. I'd plan on replacing the siding with Hardie board if I bought there.

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-11-2011 at 04:26 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 06:30 PM

53 posts, read 160,478 times
Quote:
Another plus, it is across the street from lifetime fitness and within walking distance of Costco, Randals, HEB, as well as Chuy's, Cheddar's, Kerby Lane Cafe & Panera Bread, not to mention Whataburger (best breakfast taco's), Taco Bell (crispy tacos), Nations Bank, my barber and eye doctor.
You live in Austin and Whataburger's tacquitos are your number 1? I'd rank them at the 75th percentile - not even in the top 50 breakfast taco joints in the city.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:20 AM

Thanks, everyone, for you feedback. Thanks CptnRn for the heads up and flood maps - I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately, the house I liked was already pending near closing with multiple offers when I found out about it (I had jsut started m search). So I want to be ready to act if another comes on the market. Thanks so much!

Old 04-12-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Another plus, it is across the street from lifetime fitness and within walking distance of Costco, Randals, HEB, as well as Chuy's, Cheddar's, Kerby Lane Cafe & Panera Bread, not to mention Whataburger (best breakfast taco's), Taco Bell (crispy tacos), Nations Bank, my barber and eye doctor. If I lived there I'd hardly ever have to get in my car except to go to Home Depot or Lowe's, which are a very short drive away.
Do you think you'd actually be able to walk to those things? As appealing as that sounds, I wonder if there would be a safe way to do so. You are more familiar with that area than I, though. I jsut looked via Google Maps and it looked like it might be tricky.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:46 AM

You an add to that list: Whole Foods (future. soon?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin