Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 AM

490 posts, read 1,097,920 times

Advertisements

Hi, y'all. I'm just wondering if there is there any noticeable fall foliage in Austin, Texas and its surrounding suburbs during the season of autumn? I'm currently living in South Florida and there is no fall foliage here during the autumn season. To tell you the truth, I don't care for fall foliage at all. I think that it's beautiful, but I feel as though it's a harsh reminder that the days are getting shorter, the nights are getting longer, the temperatures are getting colder, and winter is quickly approaching. I was born and raised in New England, so fall foliage is nothing special to me. I suppose that when you're constantly exposed to fall foliage, it's not as special as it may be to tourists hailing from places that do not experience fall foliage. You're probably wondering why South Florida doesn't seem perfect for me? Well, all y'all know that South Florida is beautiful, but has too many flaws to list. I feel as though the Austin, Texas area will better suit a person like me who's friendly, polite, outgoing, educated, and religious than the South Florida metropolitan area. Also, the landscape and climate of Austin seem so much nicer! So, what's the foliage situation like in Austin during the fall? LOL. Also, after hearing a little bit about me, do you think Austin would suit a person like me better than South Florida? Your responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and God bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 07:51 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Austin is green pretty much all the way to mid November. At that time, some deciduous trees turn a bit red, but mostly brown. However, most of the trees are Cedar (evergreen) and Oak (don't lose their leaves here). So, when you look at the hillside it's mostly red and green, a little bit scenic but nothing like the Northeast. Oddly enough, most leaves on trees are lost in March, as the winter foliage is replaced by the new spring foliage. That's when all the oak trees lose their leaves.

We do have a winter here and it's much colder than S. Florida, but our Spring, Summer, and Fall is much better than Florida, much less humid than Florida. Today is a low of 55 and a high of 85, 13% humidity. That's pretty nice for late April and I doubt S. Florida is that dry right now. The other thing that is better than S. FL is that we have many less bugs. I rarely if ever get bitten by mosquitoes.

I can't answer if Austin is right for you unless you specify more of your interests, etc... Also, you would get better responses if you enumerated all that you disliked about S. Florida.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
The oaks that don't lose their leaves - but replace them in the Spring - are live oaks, same as you have throughout the South, though generally smaller than in the Deep South. Other oaks in Austin will lose their leaves but they don't turn anything other than brown IME. Occasionally you see sumacs and chinese tallow trees in Austin, which will turn quite red in the Autumn. Unfortunately, most of the chinese tallow trees were killed in a terrible freeze that occurred in the 1990's (I forget what year exactly), so there are only a few around anymore. The truth is, I forgot what real Fall colour looked like until I moved to northern Delaware a few years ago.

I'm just wondering why the OP cares to ask about Fall foliage in Austin if s/he doesn't care about it one way or the other.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:50 AM

5 posts, read 8,885 times
No red/brown/amber leaves, not really. Austin is the "City Weird", it has been described as the Amsterdam of Texas. Most people here will tell you they wouldn't live anywhere else in Texas. Within the city there is quality live music every day of the week, numerous unique "non-chain" restaurants and boutique stores. Lots of food trailers where Austinites spend many hours standing in line to eat the newest food trend - for some reason people in Austin love to stand in line... if we see a line we go get in it and figure out what everyone else knows that we don't know yet! These are a few of the things that make/keep Austin unique. Austin has a high rate of college educated folks, diverse religious and political views, lots of tattoos, lots of dogs, lots of kids, lots of yard art - it is a city ripe with personal expression. We love it, that is why we live here.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:20 PM

355 posts, read 923,121 times
No, the leaves don't change much here. I think it is more religious.

But won't you miss the fabulous Atlantic?!
Sugar Reef - Web Cam & Photos

Old 04-28-2011, 12:26 PM

Yes, it's probably more religious than parts of Florida, but thankfully much less so than some parts of Texas. I also want to mention that among Austin's assets is the large number of out and proud gay men and lesbians.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Hi, y'all. I'm just wondering if there is there any noticeable fall foliage in Austin, Texas and its surrounding suburbs during the season of autumn? I'm currently living in South Florida and there is no fall foliage here during the autumn season. To tell you the truth, I don't care for fall foliage at all. I think that it's beautiful, but I feel as though it's a harsh reminder that the days are getting shorter, the nights are getting longer, the temperatures are getting colder, and winter is quickly approaching. I was born and raised in New England, so fall foliage is nothing special to me. I suppose that when you're constantly exposed to fall foliage, it's not as special as it may be to tourists hailing from places that do not experience fall foliage. You're probably wondering why South Florida doesn't seem perfect for me? Well, all y'all know that South Florida is beautiful, but has too many flaws to list. I feel as though the Austin, Texas area will better suit a person like me who's friendly, polite, outgoing, educated, and religious than the South Florida metropolitan area. Also, the landscape and climate of Austin seem so much nicer! So, what's the foliage situation like in Austin during the fall? LOL. Also, after hearing a little bit about me, do you think Austin would suit a person like me better than South Florida? Your responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and God bless!
Well compared to S. Florida..yes there is fall foliage

I myself moved here from the Pompano Beach area.
While you cannot compare what we get to up north there is something compared to the zero fall foliage you get in South Florida.

Our trees do turn red/yellow/orange but don't last very long and the leaves all fall off before you know it.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:20 PM

You have to look really hard to find those Fall colour-changing trees in Austin. It's pretty pathetic actually. Austin is a great place to live, but Autumn beauty isn't one of its attributes.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:54 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Today is a low of 55 and a high of 85, 13% humidity. That's pretty nice for late April and I doubt S. Florida is that dry right now. The other thing that is better than S. FL is that we have many less bugs. I rarely if ever get bitten by mosquitoes.
Considering we're in the middle of a terrible drought, this humidity level is NOT typical. Just had fires. I don't think any part of Texas is very humid right now. When the normal weather returns and we actually start getting rain again, yes the bugs will be back including mosquitoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkRichardson View Post
it has been described as the Amsterdam of Texas. Most people here will tell you they wouldn't live anywhere else in Texas.
Never heard the Amsterdam thing before. As for the other part, that's part of why the rest of Texas gets fed up with our city's douche-baggery. Can't really blame them, there wasn't always this Austitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
You have to look really hard to find those Fall colour-changing trees in Austin. It's pretty pathetic actually. Austin is a great place to live, but Autumn beauty isn't one of its attributes.
Not much fall folliage in Texas. But that shouldn't bother OP based on other things he said.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:44 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Considering we're in the middle of a terrible drought, this humidity level is NOT typical. Just had fires. I don't think any part of Texas is very humid right now. When the normal weather returns and we actually start getting rain again, yes the bugs will be back including mosquitoes.
But based on the other threads, droughts are a typical feature of this climate. Wet humid weather is the exception not the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: