Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:00 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times

Advertisements

"They" would be the school board. Why are you assuming that the principal was suspended? Perhaps it it is medical leave, a family emergency, the need to care for a spouse or parent who is desperately ill? Perhaps the principal has a fellowship for advanced education and needed to be somewhere else to attend classes for a month? Maybe they won the lottery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 06:08 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
"They" would be the school board. Why are you assuming that the principal was suspended? Perhaps it it is medical leave, a family emergency, the need to care for a spouse or parent who is desperately ill? Perhaps the principal has a fellowship for advanced education and needed to be somewhere else to attend classes for a month? Maybe they won the lottery?

I'm assuming I'm not assuming. I'm not privy to the down-low. As I've said, only half of Peyton Place knows, the rest of us rabble await an answer. (Now I'm being silly.) Shouldn't we be able to know the why if they are not there? And I was asking the person in the post I quoted who "they" were but you might be right on that too. Thank you.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 05-06-2011 at 06:18 AM..

Old 05-06-2011, 11:06 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
A person that is entrusted with hundreds of small children that has been suspended. I suppose the real reason behind any of it is litigation and nothing more.

We're not looking for a diary. We're wondering why a person in power was suspended. I'm not going to make the leap into we want all our privacy rights taken away. (although who has the rights is an issue) Half of Peyton Place already knows...the rest of us rabble just want to know too.

And please define who "they" is.
"They" would be the school board and administrators in charge of this specific principal. Yes, I strongly suspect it is about litigation and school districts have a team of lawyers. They know what they can and can't make public without opening themselves to unnecessary lawsuits (which none of us want to pay for.) In my experience, school districts have usually been pretty quick to act if a person is removed because of a potential threat to students. When there is suspicion of inappropriate contact with a student, or something of that nature, standard practice is to immediately put them on leave while it's investigated. If/when it gets to a point where they have a reasonable case and the employee is arrested, that's usually when it's announced.

Do you have any actual evidence that this person was suspended, or is it all just hearsay? How did you originally find out they were suspended? Can you be sure it isn't one of the cases others mentioned... that a spouse is ill, or something benign of that nature? Logically, I would hypothesize that if/when they have enough evidence to make something out of it, they would make an announcement. Until that happens, they are smarter not to say anything since they'll be sued for slander if it turns out they don't have enough to make the case. You already said that individual has not been coming to school, so whether they were even a threat or not to begin with, they are not around your child as it is.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:22 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Shouldn't we be able to know the why if they are not there?
Eh, that really depends. If there are allegations of wrongdoing or a potential threat to children, you're owed the security that your children will not be exposed to that person until such time as the situation is resolved.If not, you can sue, which is why they're usually pretty good about that. That's why if there are allegations, it's common to put that person immediately on leave.

They usually make an announcement once there's sufficient evidence for the police to make an arrest. If they do it before, they open themselves to lawsuits.

If it's not one of these worst case scenarios? Then no, I don't think we have a right to know. Is the position temporarily covered? Then it's being taken care of. Everyone is afforded the reasonable right to privacy. If it's a case where their daughter is in trouble and they need to use a few months of personal leave, or some other non-threatening problem, I don't see how that's anyone's business.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:09 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
Thank you for the information. It does help. I also agree with you that if a person is taking time off for personal use it isn't any of my business. However, I'm not speaking of personal use, I'm addressing a suspension, (the term I was given). Lastly, I would not say here who gave me the information but I would deem them credible, (knowing that is a subjective term).

Thank you for the information. The more I know the less I speculate.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:46 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
If an educator is suspended by their superiors, unless it's of a criminal nature, there is no public "right to know". Job performance is a private personnel matter.
In the case of principals or superintendents, a school board could make a public statement that a suspension was due to unsatisfactory performance and leave it at that, without any details.

Sometimes it is not hard to figure out the reasons why an administrator gets suspended if their school or district is having excessive & ongoing difficulties.

No organization wants to air every detail of it's dirty laundry out in the open....taxpayer-supported or not. It's just human nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin