Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 04:10 PM
yam yam started this thread

228 posts, read 887,541 times

Advertisements

I'd like to build a shed along the edge of my side yard. My front yard has an attractive cedar fence with large stone columns every ten feet or so. In order to match the existing fence, I'd like to have stone columns at each corner of the shed and along its sides, with cedar (or cedar-like) siding. The outer wall of the shed along the property line would be an extension of the fence.

How can I do this without violating city code by having a permanent foundation? It would seem that the letter of the law would require building a floating shed that isn't structurally attached to the columns, which would be pretty silly. Lot size prevents me from accommodating the 5 foot setback for a permanent foundation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 04:20 PM

554 posts, read 1,746,043 times
I would just build it that way I wanted and never even think about a permit being required. Its a shed after all not a guest house.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:27 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
The 5' setback from rear and side property lines is not just for a permanent foundation, it is for any accessory building, portable shed, etc. The setback from the front property line is even greater, probably 25' or more.

If you do as somebuyatx recommends, you could be required to move it at your expense anytime a neighbor were to complain about it not meeting the zoning setbacks, with no statute of limitations on when that could happen.

I see nothing in the zoning ordinance or building code prohibiting a permanent foundation for an accessory building, as long as it meets the zoning setback requirements.

FYI, These setback requirements were created to prevent a fire started in one structure (your shed) from spreading to a neighbors structure (fence or shed).

My advice, go in and talk to the building code officials about what you want to do. There is no charge to talk to them and no building permit required if you build it according to the requirements.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:32 PM
yam yam started this thread

228 posts, read 887,541 times
Most of the houses along my street have sheds on non-permanent foundations within one or two feet of the property line, and the sheds appear to have been in place for several years.... I guess they're all just tempting fate and hoping they don't get issued a code violation?

Old 07-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yam View Post
Most of the houses along my street have sheds on non-permanent foundations within one or two feet of the property line, and the sheds appear to have been in place for several years.... I guess they're all just tempting fate and hoping they don't get issued a code violation?
Yes, the same is true in my neighborhood. They are probably not aware of the zoning requirement, but they could be required to move the sheds anytime someone wants to file a complaint.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:39 PM

See the previous threads discussing this...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...l#post19706852

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...eplace-my.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...nce-codes.html

Old 07-08-2011, 04:49 PM

Do I need a permit? City of Austin - Work Exempt From Building or Trade Permits – One-Stop Shop For Development Services

Quote:
s a homeowner there are several projects that you and/or your contractor can accomplish without the need of a building or trade permit. Below is a list of items that DO NOT require a building or trade permit per City of Austin Code 25-12-243 ‘Local Amendments to the Residential Code.’ Any work not specified in the list below will require either a building or trade permit.
Quote:
Building
One-story detached accessory structures, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet (18.58 m2).
Please keep in mind that although you do not need a permit to build or install the structure you must still abide by any zoning rules and regulations in regards to height, setbacks and trade permits. If you decide to install electricity or plumbing systems into the structure you will be required to obtain those trade permits. Please visit the ‘Zoning’ page to find out what which regulations apply to your home in regards to structure height and/or yard setback areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin