Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:31 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times

Advertisements

Austin alone, not counting the burbs, has grown almost 6 times larger just during my lifetime. From 132,459 in 1950 to to 790,390 in 2010.

Austin has grown by over 30% every 10 years for most of its existence.* The last 10 years it slowed down to 20%. Even at 20% it will be very close to a million in population by 2010 (948,468). I predict it will be over 1 million in 2010 as the growth rate has probably already accelerated due to all the people moving here for the better economy.

* Austin, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
* http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...#vmessage35896

Old 07-18-2011, 11:34 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Okay, folks, now that I've sobered up a bit, let me explain my post.

I met some people from DC that came here on vacation for the night club scene. Do you know how great the nightclub scene is there? And they came here to party? That is the sole reason they came here: to party? That says something about how great Austin is. Explain that. Also, they said everyone up in the northeast realizes how great Austin is. It is absolutely unbelieveable they say.
This is merely conjecture on your part. You met "some people from DC," and now the reason why they came to Austin ("to party")is the Holy Grail of opinions? Maybe they are wack in DC and had to come to Austin for acceptance? Or maybe they've been in DC too long and just need a change of scenery? Or maybe someone else gave them the word that Austin is THE spot? Or maybe they do, indeed, love Austin that much, but everyone's perception, preference and likes are different. Just because it's great for them doesn't mean it's great for everyone else. Who are they? Some people from DC.

I lived in Tokyo for 16 years, and I've been to Nyc several times. If I weren't married with children, I think I'd definitely consider moving to Nyc. Austin just doesn't compare. It's a nice city, but it will never be like Nyc. (which I do realize that you stated this)

This entire thread is hilarious...especially the girls with the bodyguards. Unless they are celebrity....I'm thinking...WTH?

But I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. I'm not mad at that at all....just wanted to give a different perspective and offer a possible explanation since (although probably rhetorical) you asked for an explanation.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:55 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:
You want to know what happened? A gentleman never tells
The bodygaurds hassled you, didn't they? J/K!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:22 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
But they had bodyguards bro! That means they were hot.
and they were 15 years younger than me too

Old 07-18-2011, 03:07 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Default Austin Will Leapfrog Dallas And Then San Antonio But Will Never Catch Houston Texas

Quote:
I was out tonight and it was jam packed. What I found was most of the
people there were tourists from places like DC/NYC/LA.

Regardless that it was a 93 degree night, the streets were chock block full of people everywhere I went.

Everyone I talked to was raving about how great Austin is. You get a sense that Austin is like California was in the 1950's. It is the place to be, to move to, to just be associated with.

This is even before F1 is coming. Imagine what will happen then. We are destined to be the next NYC.

I was flirting with some high caliber chicks that had their own bodyguard. That is usually what you see in LA or NYC.

Nothing can stop us now. I both relish the fact that we are the most desirable city in America but I also fear what will happen to us once the crowds come here. We know the roads won't be expanded, but I guess we'll just keep building skyscrapers up.

One thing's for sure, this is the place to be.
You must be living in the 51 State of Denial ,Austin will never become the largest city in the United States of America , but how about number 2 in the state of Texas.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:18 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,398 times
To the OP, no. No, you are simply wrong. No port and no massive international airport means Austin will always be playing second fiddle to Houston and Dallas.

Here are MSAs by population:
Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Austin/RR/San Marcos is currently 35th, in between Indianapolis and Virginia Beach. In 2020 it will probably be in the top 30, around Cleveland in Kansas City. By 2030, it will be in the Top 25, around Pittsburgh and Baltimore (and overtaking San Antonio). By 2040 it will be a top 20 metro area on the order of a St. Louis/Tampa/San Diego. That's probably where it ends up long term.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
To the OP, no. No, you are simply wrong. No port and no massive international airport means Austin will always be playing second fiddle to Houston and Dallas.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Austin/RR/San Marcos is currently 35th, in between Indianapolis and Virginia Beach. In 2020 it will probably be in the top 30, around Cleveland in Kansas City. By 2030, it will be in the Top 25, around Pittsburgh and Baltimore (and overtaking San Antonio). By 2040 it will be a top 20 metro area on the order of a St. Louis/Tampa/San Diego. That's probably where it ends up long term.
I pray that the OP was talking about city proper population only and not Metropolitan Population.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:42 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:

Mexico City doesn't have a port...

Old 07-18-2011, 04:47 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
Here's an article from '04 wonder if it will happen

Study: Austin's population to surpass San Antonio's | Austin Business Journal
I don't know if Austin will surpass San Antonio's population, but isn't San Antonio now the second largest city in Texas having surpassed Dallas? We're talking cities only here, not MSAs.

I CAN see Austin and San Antonio growing together into one enormous metroplex. Having just driven back from SA, there's not a lot of undeveloped land between here and there.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:01 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,121 times
Quote:

I agree with on all points except the last. I don't think Austin will end up long term at about 2.5 million. I'd say that Austin's metro will continue to grow at the same rate you say but to 3.5 by 2040. This is where I'm betting Austin will stop growing as much as it has. I'd even say it will start competing with Seattle by this point. Unless of course, Seattle starts growing dramatically as Austin has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin