Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 01:48 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
if the Assitant Director can "easily do" what the chief does....why do we need a chief?
Well, easily do what the chief does during an emergency. I am assuming the day to day activities of the chief are related to administration, policy, hiring, etc., which the assistant(s) are not qualified to do, possibly.

Personally, I think it would have been a good (just due to politics) idea to come back; however, I don't know the specifics. For all I know she hasn't had a vacation in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 02:42 PM

481 posts, read 2,417,076 times
I told my husband about this thread. He was a volunteer fireman in Colorado many years ago. I thought she should be here in TX and not on vacay but my husband disagrees. He said she doesn't have to be here and is doing nothing wrong. He said a fire chief is a figure head and her assistants are doing all the work.

But he did say it does look bad and that if it were him he would have some back.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:52 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,314 times
I also thought I'd add....the OP did start his/her post by saying, "What a PR disaster it is..." So in that context, I can understand. Some people will judge her, regardless, so it can possibly harm her "image." As I stated earlier, all that is nothing but politics.

Otherwise, as far as her competence is concerned, I don't necessarily think her decision can reflect negatively or positively.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
So an administrator doesn't have to show leadership? Really? Even if all they do is sit around a desk during an emergency...that's where she should she be. Ok, I'll bite: if the Assitant Director can "easily do" what the chief does....why do we need a chief?
We have a Mayor and City Manager and Assistant City Managers to provide leadership. How many leaders do we need to make our knees stop shaking during an emergency?

Old 09-08-2011, 03:27 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,625 times
fire her ass now or look foolish!...

Old 09-08-2011, 05:18 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,899 times
So has she come back or not yet? And why did Perry run off again so soon? It's not over yet!! I think Texans would've had much more respect for him if he'd stayed put and been a source of support until the worst of this was over. Who cares about the stupid debate?? His state is burning and his people are suffering...!! Where are our so-called 'leaders' when we need them.......??! I'm disgusted......

Old 09-08-2011, 05:22 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
We have a Mayor and City Manager and Assistant City Managers to provide leadership. How many leaders do we need to make our knees stop shaking during an emergency?

Sounds like we don't need nearly that many.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:54 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
Quote:
When you find out let me know. http://images.paraorkut.com/img/funn..._cat-12298.gif

I say fire em all, (so called leaders) and promote all the workers. They're the ones that know whats going on anyway and know what to do...

Anywho...I'll admit, this whole fire thing was/is a trip.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:11 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Obviously we have too many taxpayer funded "leaders". Let's get rid of some of this deadwood that is hired to be a leader, but doesn't really have to lead because we already have too many leaders....??

Oh, and her salary? http://www.texastribune.org/library/...re-chief/2297/ $164,000.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,589 times
What was she going to do- fight the fire herself? As long as she was doing her job and was connected then she can do as much as if she was here. I think we have to judge the final result- was she able to direct people and teams to the right places, allocate resources, secure tools and resources where and when needed? Was she still accessible by phone (Blackberry I'm sure), had she prepared the department for this type of situation? People put too much into face time when they don't think about performance in a holistic sense. We don't know the specifics unless we were directly involved with her or her team.

Snap judgements drive me crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin