Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 04:51 PM

12 posts, read 15,902 times

Advertisements

I live in Vegas and am tired of the lack of culture in this town. I"m thinking of moving to Austin because I heard Austin has a ton of it. I am a wedding photographer who would either be looking to start my own business down there or work for another Wedding Photographer or venue. It's really hard to get decent weddings out here since there are so many tourists that come down and get married in a chapel or a venue with everything included so they are looking for a deal instead of quality. I want to get referrals from locals rather than just the vendors that are in town. Plus there are way too many photographers out here that practically give their work away which hurts the industry.

I'm a little worried about the heat since it is a different kind of heat rather than the oven-baked kind. (which I hate) I'm actually craving some humidity so I think I can adjust to it. Although I will miss the mountains nearby, I really crave some more trees and grass even if it is just a little bit more. I'm also excited that you have water to swim in. We have Lake Mead but it is small and shrinking. I'm also tired of how ghetto it is out here. I'm referring to the type of people that are attracted to come out here. There are a lot of gang members and violence. I also can't stand the lack of good diverse music this place has. I already know I would love the music in Austin since I am a big Stevie Ray Vaughan fan and love country blues as well.

Do you think I would fit in Austin? By the way I'm a 30 y.o. male who is also looking for a better dating scene as well since there are a lot of girls out here that are materialistic and overly dramatic. I have a background in sales/retail so I could look for work in that area if I can't find any photography work. Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 05:06 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,831,459 times
Austin sounds like a great fit for everything except humidity. It isn't quite as bad as Vegas in my experience (purely anecdotal -- Vegas felt like a Desert but Austin is maybe one notch lower). It's not as humid as Houston or Dallas, though most Austinites on CD consider that an advantage.

Dating scene knowledge is secondhand but everybody I know that age has loved it. Big college town and the tech sector attracts a lot of young people.

Best way to find out is to come visit for a week or so though.

EDIT: everybody single I know that age - I am that age, just not on the market anymore!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:23 PM

773 posts, read 1,261,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Best way to find out is to come visit for a week or so though.
Second this. If you can tolerate LV heat, you can probably tolerate Austin heat just fine.

Come down, get a lay of the land. And be forewarned: It costs a LOT to live in Austin proper, and that would be anywhere remotely near the exciting night life and diversity Austin is renowned for. We have plenty of bland, boring burbs, just like Vegas.

You don't have to live smack downtown, but I would not recommend that a single man live outside of the central area — not if you really want to get the full Austin experience.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:27 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,777,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
Second this. If you can tolerate LV heat, you can probably tolerate Austin heat just fine.

Come down, get a lay of the land. And be forewarned: It costs a LOT to live in Austin proper, and that would be anywhere remotely near the exciting night life and diversity Austin is renowned for. We have plenty of bland, boring burbs, just like Vegas.

You don't have to live smack downtown, but I would not recommend that a single man live outside of the central area — not if you really want to get the full Austin experience.
That's not really true. I think what you mean is it CAN cost a lot to live in CENTRAL Austin. It is for most, but depending on a variety of variables that's still not a plain truth. Plenty of Austin proper is quite affordable, and much of that is plenty accessible to nightlife and diversity.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 PM

Thank your for your advice. I will be coming down as soon as I can get some time off work.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 AM

7 posts, read 17,599 times
Hi - so interestingly enough I lived in Vegas for 8 years, and a friend of mine moved to Austin from Vegas (living there the same amount of time). One thing is for certain: once you leave that town, you will NOT miss it. I pondered over moving for a good year, because the energy of the city just keeps you going, and when you go somewhere else, you have to adjust (like with places closing at 9 p.m.). BUT you do adjust and forget all about the massive illegal immigrant population (and associated problems, think UMC), the violence, the constant scamming and looking over the shoulder, and the typical VEGAS washed-up smoker, nothing going on, nothing nice to say. You also don't miss the inflated females, with their massive chests and Juicy Couture outfits and Escalades. The dating scene in Vegas was horrible; if you did meet someone, they would end up leaving anyway. I have heard Austin has a great dating scene, and I am considering moving earlier. In hindsight, I should have packed up and left Vegas the very next year I moved there. It drains everything out of you. Sell your stuff and GO! Best move ever.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 AM

26 posts, read 82,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphRod View Post
...BUT you do adjust and forget all about the massive illegal immigrant population (and associated problems, think UMC), the violence, the constant scamming and looking over the shoulder, and the typical VEGAS washed-up smoker, nothing going on, nothing nice to say. You also don't miss the inflated females, with their massive chests and Juicy Couture outfits and Escalades. The dating scene in Vegas was horrible; if you did meet someone, they would end up leaving anyway. I have heard Austin has a great dating scene, and I am considering moving earlier. In hindsight, I should have packed up and left Vegas the very next year I moved there. It drains everything out of you. Sell your stuff and GO! Best move ever.
Wait a minute. Did you live in Austin, then move to Vegas? What you describe---the washed-up smokers, illegal immigrants, inflated women, Escalades, nothing going on--that IS Austin!!! Right?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,911,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfliquid View Post
inflated women
substitute with flat chested and you got Austin women

Old 03-21-2012, 10:40 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,063,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
substitute with flat chested and you got Austin women
You mean *normal* looking as opposed to overly enhanced ala Vegas, the OC or even Dallas.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:27 PM

RalphRod - that is exactly what I'm feeling right now. The town just feels trashy and dangerous. I am definitely getting outta here. I just want to have a plan set before I leave. I need to save some money and have some job prospects. I don't want to get stuck in Austin with no money and no job. The only reason I moved to Vegas was because I had a good job offer that taught me a lot about my industry as a wedding photographer which I don't regret taking. I grew up fast but I'm done with that phase and ready to take the next step up which is to start my own business and build a client base. I came from Michigan originally which isn't much better than Vegas for jobs but a whole lot better for culture and safety. I was tempted to move back but I just don't like the cold weather and lack of jobs. I think I would really enjoy Austin. It would be a major upgrade over Vegas. Of course most places would also be an upgrade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin