Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,295 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live close to where 360 and 183 intersect and I am looking at working on the west side of Bee Caves this summer. I am wandering how bad traffic is going South in the morning, I need to be there by 9. Also going back North in the afternoon around 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 10:49 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,887,517 times
It's bad. Without traffic, from 183/360 to Bee Caves RD/360 is about 12 minutes. During rush hour (around 7:30-9a and 4:30-6:30a) count on double that (24 mins) at least. Maybe triple. When there is an accident... it gets absolutely brutal. Depending on how far off 360 you live (and how far off 360 your job is), you might make better time on a bike.

But there is no more beautiful road in Texas to be stuck in traffic on, so you've got that going for you.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:03 AM

5,870 posts, read 11,934,139 times
I do the opposite commute and it's not horrible, but the other side of the road always looks much worse. Atxcio is correct. Most N-S roads bunch up at the river, but 360's goes further beyond that because people use 360 - N Mopac to get into downtown, or they are bypassing downtown altogether. I would say the northbound going home in the evening is the absolute worst. Times I have gone to meet the kids at County Line for dinner at 360/2222, the normal commute time of 5 minutes from 360/Bee Caves to there is more like 15.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:54 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,355,000 times
My son works just south of the Pennybacker Bridge - says it's a parking lot northbound in the afternoon rush hour. He drives up to 183 before heading to Brushy Creek.

However, he is at work by 7am and misses the worst of the morning rush.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,153,597 times
Yeah, I did the opposite way for a few years too and it always looked worse going the other way.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:59 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,781,705 times
8am is the pits. 8:30am is a little better. Though it varies day by day some days are mysteriously fairly clear and some days the traffic is bumper to bumper all the way to the 2222 exit.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:38 PM

362 posts, read 1,045,076 times
All traffic lights on 360 are horribly timed.

Scratch that... all traffic lights in Austin are horribly timed.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:03 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,355,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
All traffic lights on 360 are horribly timed.

Scratch that... all traffic lights in Austin are horribly timed.
You're not kidding!

Since we have such whiz-bang electronics so cheap these days, why in heck hasn't the city come up with a relatively simple plan to use video/computer sensors to control the flow of traffic at major intersections? You can't tell me a few simple video cameras and a basic computeer wwould aadd that much cost to the infrastructure at say, Burnet & Koenig or Congress & Riverside.

And here Austin brags about being such a bigtime high-tec mover & shaker with Dell, IBM, AMD, Samsung, etc. and an army of software egggheads.

I think it's moronic & terribly unfriendly to the environment to have a couple dozen or even scores of cars, trucks, & SUVs idling excessively at a big intersection like Avery Ranch & Parmer, while ONE car might go through from the other direction.

Think about what THAT does to the air quality.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:44 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,267,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
You're not kidding!

Since we have such whiz-bang electronics so cheap these days, why in heck hasn't the city come up with a relatively simple plan to use video/computer sensors to control the flow of traffic at major intersections? You can't tell me a few simple video cameras and a basic computeer wwould aadd that much cost to the infrastructure at say, Burnet & Koenig or Congress & Riverside.

And here Austin brags about being such a bigtime high-tec mover & shaker with Dell, IBM, AMD, Samsung, etc. and an army of software egggheads.

I think it's moronic & terribly unfriendly to the environment to have a couple dozen or even scores of cars, trucks, & SUVs idling excessively at a big intersection like Avery Ranch & Parmer, while ONE car might go through from the other direction.

Think about what THAT does to the air quality.
Well for one, putting such whizzbang electronics on a single intersection is rarely useful. Two, you're forgetting that we're talking about a bureaucracy, NOTHING is as cheap as "just" getting "a few simple video cameras and a basic computer". Beyond the bureaucracy, the technical issues with integrating it into whatever other system is present makes something like this rarely as simple as it seems to/should be (read "more $$$"). Obviously something like this is feasible, emergency vehicles have had the ability to short circuit traffic light patterns for a while now, I'm just saying that one should not be naive about the reality of making something like this actually happen.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:47 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,267,628 times
Traffic on 360 during rush hour sucks. One of the bigger issues is that there are very few points in which you can reliably find an alternative route if things get really ugly (e.g. an accident). If you are west Bee Cave, you may be better off 183N to 620W in the morning and the opposite in the afternoon (I don't know about the 620 part, I don't go that way, but certainly catching 183 with the opposite commute would be very worthwhile).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin