Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 03:36 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times

Advertisements

I just went to the Travis County website, http://www.traviscountytax.org thinking I would use their online payment process to pay my property taxes. They wanted to add a $104 service charge fee onto the tax for the privilege of using their online service. That is just insane. I decided to send it snail mail instead.

Shouldn't it save them money to process payments digitally instead of shuffling paperwork?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 03:44 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I just went to the Travis County website, http://www.traviscountytax.org thinking I would use their online payment process to pay my property taxes. They wanted to add a $104 service charge fee onto the tax for the privilege of using their online service. That is just insane. I decided to send it snail mail instead.

Shouldn't it save them money to process payments digitally instead of shuffling paperwork?
You aren't expecting logic and reason from a government entity, are you?

It's likely a percentage ding to cover the processing cost of the credit card(just guessing). Back in ATL, Fulton County hit us with a 4% smack in the head when using credit cards for 'ad valorem' taxes(automobiles and such). Bad enough that the tax was about 1% of the vehicle value(paid every year for 'tags'). Penalized for driving a nice vehicle, no matter how efficient it was...DANG!!! TICKLED not to pay that tax here in TEXAS!

Old 12-14-2011, 03:52 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Were you paying via direct withdrawal or with a credit card? CCs charge significant fees, so paying with a CC would reduce what the tax district would receive....

Old 12-14-2011, 03:56 PM

I was going to use a debit card. I did not try the direct withdrawal option. If that is cheaper the idiots should say so.

Ironically the payment coupon I filled out and mailed says at the top.

"YOUR CHECK MAY BE CONVERTED INTO AN ELECTRONIC FUND TRANSFER".

Old 12-14-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
You aren't expecting logic and reason from a government entity, are you?
Yes, and I'm never going to back down from that expectation.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:01 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,477 times
Our local water supply used to charge 6 bucks for using the online service to pay. Luckily somebody must have realized that it actually costs less to process an electronic payment than it does a paper one so they killed it.

Anything to do with Government or Utilities will happily add a fee to everything you touch if possible. There are so many "fees" (actually all fees are taxes) that it's hard to read a bill!

Old 12-14-2011, 04:10 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
The online payment service I use for tenant payments charges a flat $2.20 per e-Check payment but 3% for Credit Cards. The County can't afford to eat the Crdit Card fees but should make available the e-Check option for a nominal fee.

If I could pay with a credit card without fees, I'd pay all of my property taxes for all my properties online with a Rewards credit card and I'm sure many others would as well.

Steve

Old 12-14-2011, 07:03 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
We just do bill-pay from our bank account and save the stamp. It also protects us as there is immediate proof funds were withdrawn so they can't say we were late or that they didn't receive the money.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:24 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Actually I like that they do that for CCs. Most businesses build the 1-5% CC fees into the costs of goods and services, no itemization of course. That's bad for the consumer as they can't quantify the fees but great for the CC companies who make money on the small transactions but make a whole lot more on the greater dollar amounts like a property tax bill for the year.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:16 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Talk to the credit card companies! They are at fault here. It is their fee that the County refuses to eat (like most merchants do). I think the County is in the right here. They are collecting taxes, the exact amount is important. There is a fee for using a credit card that is charged by the credit card processors. Most retail merchants eat the fee to ensure return business and quick transactions. The County can't (probably by law). It is the fee revenue that allows CC companies to offer "rewards" in the first place. An e-check or electronic funds transfer is a completely different animal.

Credit cards fees can be substantial! I know of a non-profit whose primary revenue is donations. They allow credit card payments. Of the 2 million in revenue, I do not know how many pay with credit cards but it is substantial. The non-profit pays between $30K-$40K a year in credit card fees.

As a County taxpayer, I do not want a dime of my property tax to go to the CC companies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: