Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 13,415 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations on a good montessori school in Austin that stays open until 6 pm. I live north I-35 off of Parmer lane but work downtown, so any school between the north and downtown between the axis of I-35 and Mopas may be a good location for me. I visited Northwest montessori house of children on Koening lane, twin oaks montessori school and Hawthorn montessori school. I'm hesitating between Hawthorn and northwest montessori school. Any specific experiences on any of these schools?

Any helpful information is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 12:08 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
There have been a lot of discussions om Montessori on here. Have you looked at any of the earlier threads to see if there is any helpful information?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=9576900

Old 01-25-2009, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 13,250 times
have you seen this on Northwest Montessori?

Operation Details

Old 03-06-2009, 08:10 AM

7 posts, read 37,792 times
I can't say anything about the two you mention as I have never checked them out. I'm near Avery Ranch and Brushy Creek area and work in Round Rock, so the Montessori my child attends is Sunrise Montessori. It's right off I-35 at 79 exit. I toured other Montessori schools in the area and they have what I couldn't find at other Montessoris - they are clean, the Director and teachers are really friendly, it's colorful, there are two play areas with lots of equipment, and the class sizes are really small (most Montessoris had 30 children with two teachers, which is too many!). Everyone has to figure out what's right for them and I hesitate to put down any school because it may not work for my family but be perfect for someone else. Having said that, I adore Sunrise and think they're doing a fabulous job.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 11,660 times
Twin Oaks Montessori is a very good choice. Do not let looks fool you, I have been to some great looking places that ended up in chaos every day. At Twin Oaks, the children learn to respect each other, and the adults, and they really learn a lot. My son was ahead of his peers in Kindergarden when he started, and in many ways, has stayed ahead due to really enjoying the learning experience. Learning to read at a very early age makes all of learning fun. The teachers are excellent at Twin Oaks, can't say enough good things about them!

Old 08-25-2010, 04:55 PM

5 posts, read 24,616 times
Consider Arbor Montessori Academy and North Austin Montessori school. They have been established in Austin for a long time and have a great reputation of upholding Montessori values.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 10,251 times
Exclamation DO not look at Brushy Creek Montessori

I unfortunately have had a terrible experience at this school. I have also reported abuse and neglect that I witnessed the the Dept of Family Protective Services, and if you look on their site, they even noted that the teachers were rough with students, more than once. My daughter is now exhibiting symptoms of abuse and neglect and when I brought it up to the director, she did not even address the concerns. The director called me in for a meeting after we had been there for 6 weeks and stated that my child's behavior was unacceptable and we had 2 weeks to change or would be asked to leave. That is when I started to notice that my daughter hated school, cried every morning and didn't want to go there! When asked why she didn't like school, her repeated reply was that the teachers & kids were hitting her!!!! I brought this up to the director, and was told "that's what she tells us about you"!!! When I told the director we wanted to leave and asked for a refund, she offered to refund all fees if we would leave immediately. I accepted the offer and went to pick up the check, which was for $350 less than she told me. She is now refusing the additional $350 by saying she doesn't have to pay me, which I have now reported to the BBB. This school is licensed with the state, but in NO WAY accredited. Research your school before you make a decision, it has now cost us much more than the fees & tuition since my daughter is exhibiting signs of abuse!! Beware of this school!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:24 PM

101 posts, read 218,885 times
understand that in austin what montessori means is very different between each school so i would recommend very careful research. i know several people who were very disappointed at some montessori interpretations. the best montessori we know is in steiner ranch so unfortunately not nearby

Old 09-07-2011, 12:27 PM

15 posts, read 108,766 times
Parmer Children's Montessori at the corner of Metric and Parmer is excellent.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:53 PM

509 posts, read 1,544,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsc2 View Post
understand that in austin what montessori means is very different between each school so i would recommend very careful research. i know several people who were very disappointed at some montessori interpretations. the best montessori we know is in steiner ranch so unfortunately not nearby
It's not just in Austin. Montessori is not a protected term so anyone could use it. I could sit 6 kids in front of my family room tv for 8 hours a day and call it Montessori. If you really want Montessori principles in practice, then make sure that the school is recommended by:
http://www.montessori-ami.org/

Or:
Home | American Montessori Society

Last edited by Dr.Mom; 09-07-2011 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: Wrong link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin