Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:27 PM

532 posts, read 1,392,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Well, didn't he have to be pleasant and friendly in order for people to give him handouts? He won't be wearing thongs and frilly underwear in plain view in Colorado winters for sure!
At least half the time we talked, I wasn't giving him a handout and he wasn't asking me for one. I would just be talking to him because he was next to me in a coffee shop, or he recognized me from the last time we spoke and he was saying hi - just like what happens with other people I meet. I first met him before I ever moved here, when I was a tourist and sat right behind him on the Dillo and he was telling me about 6th Street as we drove up it. He never asked me for anything on that ride, we just had an enjoyable conversation. Then he flashed the whole bus some leg as he left. Other people's mileage may vary, but my impression is that he's a genuinely nice guy, who isn't putting it on as an act to get handouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 04:48 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Austin icon Leslie Cochran is moving to Denver.

Leslie leaving Austin | KXAN.com
Quote:
Leslie lived in Colorado many years ago. Russell says, "That's where he thinks he can basically be treated as an icon again. He feels like Austin has forgotten him, and left him behind."
He is 60 now, those looks don't last forever you know! I am sorry to hear he is leaving and wish him all the best.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:03 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmmm View Post
......Then he flashed the whole bus some leg as he left. Other people's mileage may vary, but my impression is that he's a genuinely nice guy, who isn't putting it on as an act to get handouts.
Oh lordy....ewwwwwwwwww! LOL!!

Old 02-18-2012, 03:05 PM

156 posts, read 370,246 times
Heaven forbid I should be critical of a cross dresser who parades around downtown Austin in a thong, Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 02-18-2012 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: Can't discuss moderation in a post, per the TOS, but send the mod DM the next time you wish to discuss it.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:16 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageInAZ View Post
Heaven forbid I should be critical of a cross dresser who parades around downtown Austin in a thong,
NOTHING wrong with being a cross dresser. It's the bigots that make fun of them.

Last edited by Bo; 02-18-2012 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: Updated quote to match original.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:19 PM

156 posts, read 370,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
NOTHING wrong with being a cross dresser. It's the bigots that make fun of them.
Anyone walking around downtown in broad daylight in a thong is inappropriate. If I had kids I sure as hell wouldnt want them seeing a vagrant in a thong. Yea, it may be perfectly "legal", but that doesn't make it right.

Second thing that gets me is this idolizing him. What exactly has this guy done to be locally famous? Crossdress and be omnipresent at 6th and congress, and make a couple publicity stunt runs for mayor. Thats it. And somehow this guy is now and "icon" and representative of what Austin is. Please.

What a joke, he's a weird homeless guy who dresses that way for attention and publicity. Does he have a job? Is he leeching off of our tax dollars ? How does he survive? Handouts?

I love Austin but certainly not because of this guy or this fake legend that some of built around him.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:45 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageInAZ View Post
Anyone walking around downtown in broad daylight in a thong is inappropriate.
I think that's subject to individual opinion.

Quote:
If I had kids I sure as hell wouldnt want them seeing a vagrant in a thong.
Why not?

Quote:
Second thing that gets me is this idolizing him. What exactly has this guy done to be locally famous? Crossdress and be omnipresent at 6th and congress, and make a couple publicity stunt runs for mayor. Thats it. And somehow this guy is now and "icon" and representative of what Austin is. Please.

What a joke, he's a weird homeless guy who dresses that way for attention and publicity. Does he have a job? Is he leeching off of our tax dollars ? How does he survive? Handouts?

I love Austin but certainly not because of this guy or this fake legend that some of built around him.
I don't think people idolize him. I think he represents "free spirit", that part of all of us that wishes we had the courage to be ourselves and not conform to the rules. He also reminds us that Austin is a Libertarian/Tolerant city where weirdos can express themselves however they wish, and I think some of us are proud to live in such a city.

Perhaps you are reacting so strongly because the repressed part of you wants to be free, like Leslie. Go for it! Put on the thong and fill the void Leslie is leaving behind. It could be very liberating and help with the anger you are feeling.

Steve

Old 02-18-2012, 10:09 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
If you don't get why Austin loves Leslie, you don't get Austin. The fact that someone like Leslie, who's as near as I can tell a genuinely nice guy who happens to be a bit different, can be an Austin icon speaks to the very essence of what made Austin a place that people flocked to.

My daughter, as a teenager, had a conversation with him at ACL Festival. I'm MUCH more comfortable with that than I am with her having conversations with the kind of people who would judge him solely on the fact that he appears a bit weird. As someone said upthread, cross dressers aren't the problem.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:28 PM

100 posts, read 258,440 times
Hahaha, the first time I came to Austin as a kid, I saw Leslie walking up South Congress, and thought it was awesome. Definitely part of the city's off-beat, crazy charm.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Some posts above were deleted. It should be clear from the posts that remain that folks have strong opinions on both sides of this topic. Even so, there's no reason to insult posters who hold the opposite view from yours. The TOS says that's not allowed here. Discuss the topic and not each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin