Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,984,962 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts/opinions/experience with antique/collectible car insurance companies? We are about to acquire a fully-restored 1971 Chevy pick-up that belonged to my husband's dad, and we're wanting to compare insurance quotes for it. This type of insurance is all new to me, and I don't know really what to ask or where to look. Any opinions/ideas would be greatly appreciated! (And it doesn't necessarily have to be in the Austin area either - we would be perfectly fine with a reputable company anywhere. It is currently insured out of Houston). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM

27 posts, read 114,411 times
I use Hagerty. It's pretty cheap. I also run antique plates on it and the registration is cheaper and no saftey inspection req'd.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:18 PM

499 posts, read 1,307,130 times
I had Hagerty on a classic vehicle (but not with "antique" plates/registration, I wanted to be able to legally drive it around whenever I wanted). Unfortunately I had a wreck and had to make a claim but Hagerty made it as painless as possible.
Ended up selling it but if I get the classic car bug again I'll definitely use them.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:50 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,402,399 times
Both Hagerty and Infinity offer very competitive Collectible programs. Start off by getting an appraisal done on the vehicle - a 71 Chevy is a hit-or-miss collectible, if it's a numbers-matching resto it would definitely be worth insuring for the right value. Conversely, if it's a resto-rod or not numbers matching, it may or may not have significant value.

You'll need a full appraisal anyway come claim time (and in some cases you might need it when taking out the policy), so might as well get that done now.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:01 PM

EzPeterson, are you about to become my neighbor?? The name is too similar....

Where would I have an appraisal like that done? It has been entered in classic car shows in Houston and has won numerous awards, but that's about all I know other than what it looks like!!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:57 PM

15,537 posts, read 10,518,276 times
We use J.C. Taylor-providing antique, classic, modified, and hot rod auto insurance for over 50 years.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 AM

Was very pleased to find out that the truck is currently insured through Hagerty...so I simply extended the insurance with them, with increased claim limits of course (Father-in-law is 86 and was very trusting...$2500/person bodily injury limit! LOL I am NOT trusting and I know how people are today, so I upped it to $100,000/person!) Still it was a great quote with exceptional customer service. Thanks for all the recommendations!!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:52 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,402,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
EzPeterson, are you about to become my neighbor?? The name is too similar....

Where would I have an appraisal like that done? It has been entered in classic car shows in Houston and has won numerous awards, but that's about all I know other than what it looks like!!
If it's Walsh Trails - that's me!

I saw your other post on the truck's current insurance, you will still need to move the policy into your name, and I'd strongly recommend having an appraisal done to confirm that the insured value is correct. Appraisals run about $150, and can end up being a life-saver come claim time.

Avoid some of the companies that are touting their services for "Diminished value" tort claims, these companies are not what you need for a collectible vehicle. There are a few companies out there on the web that will do a "book" appraisal where you fill out a pretty detailed information package and submit photos, etc. and they will provide a written appraisal for you.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:26 AM

Yep, I thought that was you Ezra! :-)

Hagerty seems to be well known and reputable, and has a Guaranteed Value Policy, so that's good, and we are putting it into our names - have the new app right in front of me. They gave us the name of Auto Appraisal Group for the appraisal, so when we get the truck to Austin, we'll get that done. Just too much stuff to do and no time to do it!

Old 03-06-2012, 01:07 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,564,966 times
Celeste, will the 'new' truck knock one of the daily drivers OUT of the garage? Our across-the-street neighbor has a '57 Bel Air that takes a space in the garage while their NEW X5 and 1 year-old Camaro SS sit in the driveway!

Will you still have room for your trash/recycle bins ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin