Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Austin: college Senior, asthma, allergies, speaking Spanish, out spoken liberal politics,

Old 09-09-2007, 11:27 PM

22 posts, read 104,522 times

Advertisements

i'm a college senior up in Madison, WI. lived here all my life. i'm looking to spend my life somewhere far south where youre never cold, where i can use spanish in my daily life and where my sometimes out spoken liberal politics wont turn people off. i have asthma which reacts to dry and cold air. i hear austin is hot and moist? thats good for me!
i aim to get a job, probably a very entry level one, considering i actually have never worked before, once i graduated my college here. think i can make a go of it in austin? i figure i want to move out, so why should i pay for an appt in madison when i can move way down south which i've been wanting to. are people friendly in austin? ( i'd especially like the opinion of peopel who just moved there ) ... to a yankee? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 06:17 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_mas_deseada View Post
i'm a college senior up in Madison, WI. lived here all my life. i'm looking to spend my life somewhere far south where youre never cold, where i can use spanish in my daily life and where my sometimes out spoken liberal politics wont turn people off. i have asthma which reacts to dry and cold air. i hear austin is hot and moist? thats good for me!
i aim to get a job, probably a very entry level one, considering i actually have never worked before, once i graduated my college here. think i can make a go of it in austin? i figure i want to move out, so why should i pay for an appt in madison when i can move way down south which i've been wanting to. are people friendly in austin? ( i'd especially like the opinion of peopel who just moved there ) ... to a yankee? LOL
Austin is for you. It’s for everyone. Your “outspoken” liberal viewpoints will not be universally accepted, but you’ll find plenty friendly ears and be able to "preach to the choir" no doubt.

You will be able to practice your Spanish all you want. We do get cold, below freezing, though not often at all. People are friendly in Austin for the most part.

Finally, and no offense intended, but to get a good job in Austin you'll need to demonstrate better communication and writing skills.

Your written message is actually one of the things I fear most as my oldest teenage daughter writes in shorthand gibberish to her friends on email, and I fear that she’ll come to think of that as a “normal” way to write and communicate.

So, my friendly advice is to drop the 8th grade level chat-speak writing style, and write as would be expected of an adult college Senior embarking on an adult life.

Steve

Old 09-10-2007, 07:17 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
Austin is not territory to many "outspoken" liberals like you would find on the East or "Left" coast, but like Steve says, you may find a few ears to listen. As a border state, you can use Spanish so often, you may actually forget English if you wanted to Yes, people are friendly as long as you are too. And it doesn't get very cold here. It did last year, but the weather changes so often, it's not really reliable, except for the heat. That's usually pretty regular.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:44 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,953 times
Something worth mentioning concerning your asthma:

We have allergies!!! Cedar trees are probably the biggest culprit. I moved here from Houston - not the cleanest city - and I didn't have a problem until about a year after I settled in here. A couple of friends I know have asthma, and their allergies exacerbate their asthma.

Perhaps someone who knows more about this can chime in. I'm not an expert by any means, these are just some observations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin