Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:27 AM

313 posts, read 786,432 times

Advertisements

I can confirm that the Bee Cave HEB has La Fin Du Monde and at least one resident who keeps the shelf stock fresh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 11:52 AM

773 posts, read 1,259,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
While I love the one in Westlake and it is so very nice, I kind of miss the one on Oltorf. It was always an adventure.
What's really fun is late-night shopping at the Oltorf HEB. People are out.

Keepin' Austin Weird.

Unintentionally doing so. (!)

Old 04-06-2012, 12:33 PM

206 posts, read 370,248 times
walmart is the same. you have your pinatas and then everthign elsee

Old 04-06-2012, 10:30 PM

252 posts, read 718,863 times
Hmmm.. our options are an HEB, Central Market, Randalls, Target, Walmart, and Whole Foods all under 3 miles from home... I love options and convenience so I think I'm in the right neighborhood

Old 04-07-2012, 07:18 AM

105 posts, read 127,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Simply go into the closest HEB* to the area you are considering. Do your shopping and take everything in.

Is it mostly families or singles? Do they have a kosher section, store-made crepes, or pig's feet? What are the supporting businesses inside the store: rent-a-centers, a bank, or a place for inexpensive jewelry. What is the alcohol selection like? Is it skewed towards the basics or do they offer La Fin du Monde and imported UK ciders? How neat is the store and more importantly do the patrons mess up displays and leave frozen items in the canned soup section? Is there much recycling going on or does everyone expect to be provided with one (or possibly two) use plastic bags? How much organic food is offered? Does the produce look fresh or more like someone else's rejects? Do people seem to be in a hurry or do they laze about? Eye contact is important so do your fellow patrons avoid it or not? Intolerant of hipsters? Then you should count the skinny jeans. The parking lot is a key too. Is it a madhouse of dangerous drivers or are things on the calm side?

The list can go on forever but one thing is for sure and that is HEB tailors their stores to their customers and they do a good job of it. This works great if you fit into that local community, but if you don't you'll hate shopping there and probably hate your new neighborhood.

*Whole Foods/Central Market can be substituted for regular old HEBs.
Sounds to me some undertones of something else with this suggestion.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:28 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman3 View Post
Sounds to me some undertones of something else with this suggestion.
Huh? Like what? Seems pretty straightforward to me - a grocery store (particularly an HEB, because they study and cater to individual markets, making sure to carry what will sell more than a lot of stores do) is the current version of the village market, where pretty much everyone gathers, and as such it's a microcosm of the area. You'll be able to see if you can easily get things that matter to you, whether that be bagels or breakfast tacos, wine or a special kind of fruit juice, organic veggies or your favorite coffee. You'll be able to see how chaotic or calm a necessary experience you'll have on a regular basis is.

What are YOU reading into it?

Old 04-07-2012, 08:59 AM

100 posts, read 258,440 times
You can read into it whatever you want -- and I don't necessarily believe that you'll HATE your neighborhood if you don't like shopping at the local H-E-B -- but you can't deny H-E-B doesn't stock its grocery stores with exactly what it believes people of those neighborhoods would want.

I have never noticed this living in other cities in other states within one grocery store. That's because in other states, you have more options. Stores like Food4Less cater to one demographic, Albertsons/Pavilions cater to another, and then you have Ralphs and Vons. And Target. Not to mention Trader Joe's, Bristol Farms, Whole Foods, etc.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:04 AM

105 posts, read 127,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Huh? Like what? Seems pretty straightforward to me - a grocery store (particularly an HEB, because they study and cater to individual markets, making sure to carry what will sell more than a lot of stores do) is the current version of the village market, where pretty much everyone gathers, and as such it's a microcosm of the area. You'll be able to see if you can easily get things that matter to you, whether that be bagels or breakfast tacos, wine or a special kind of fruit juice, organic veggies or your favorite coffee. You'll be able to see how chaotic or calm a necessary experience you'll have on a regular basis is.

What are YOU reading into it?
Ask verybadgnome.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
verybadgnome didn't make the comment, you did. I asked as a result what you are reading into it that apparently no one else is noticing (maybe bringing your own issues into something that doesn't have anything to do with them, really?).

Old 04-07-2012, 09:32 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,272 times
No, I think it sounds like a very good strategy. Our HEB is like the town center and does give you a good read on a 'hood. Things are usually more simple that we give credit for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin