Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 11:58 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,589 times

Advertisements

I have a fantastic agent who I've known for a little while and found through others that used her too. I normally wouldn't consider but knowing her credibility I am thinking of listing with her and buying through her. I do have other options that focus on the area closer to my house but she's listed out her before with success. Anything that I should consider before giving her the go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 06:29 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,586 times
I think it's fine - but maybe you should negotiate a discount since she/he will be making quite a bit from you!

Old 04-14-2012, 06:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
In Austin, I see no problem with using the same agent to list and buy. It's all one MLS, and while some agents specialize in particular areas or neighborhoods, if she doesn't, then it should work fine.

If she offers to give a discount, that's great, but don't expect it. Unless you expect your doctor or your lawyer or any other professional to give you a "bulk discount"; I guarantee you she doesn't do any less work or get any discount on her own expenses because she's selling your home and helping you find another one. I'll sometimes give a discount on the buy side if it's a repeat client, but a lot depends on the individual situation.

Then, of course, there's the thought that if she'll negotiate away her own money that easily, are you really comfortable with her negotiating with YOUR money?

Old 04-15-2012, 05:45 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
In Austin, I see no problem with using the same agent to list and buy. It's all one MLS, and while some agents specialize in particular areas or neighborhoods, if she doesn't, then it should work fine.

If she offers to give a discount, that's great, but don't expect it. Unless you expect your doctor or your lawyer or any other professional to give you a "bulk discount"; I guarantee you she doesn't do any less work or get any discount on her own expenses because she's selling your home and helping you find another one. I'll sometimes give a discount on the buy side if it's a repeat client, but a lot depends on the individual situation.

Then, of course, there's the thought that if she'll negotiate away her own money that easily, are you really comfortable with her negotiating with YOUR money?
i would expect my dr or lawyer to give me a bulk discount. but only if I know upfront that im spending a lot

Old 04-15-2012, 08:02 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Okay, do you give your employer a discount when you have twice as much work to do for them? If you do, then I can see how it would be reasonable for you to expect others to do so for you, as well.

If not, why not? After all, they're giving you the opportunity to work more hours; don't they deserve a discount?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,697 times
I don't see that the point you're making is relevant, THL. It's commonplace to negotiate a reduced rate if you're purchasing more services. Doesn't always work but it's hardly a red flag. I don't see how that has anything to do with how well somebody can represent you or negotiate on your behalf.

If you hire our company for 10 hours, you will pay our rack rate. If you hire us for 100, you might be able to negotiate a better one. Or you might not. So for your analogy, if your employer is employing you on a contract basis and not a salary (a better analogy for a realtor) then yes, it's perfectly ordinary to give them a "discount."

Old 04-15-2012, 08:30 AM

172 posts, read 410,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Okay, do you give your employer a discount when you have twice as much work to do for them? If you do, then I can see how it would be reasonable for you to expect others to do so for you, as well.

If not, why not? After all, they're giving you the opportunity to work more hours; don't they deserve a discount?
I know I do! If I work 40 hours or 80 hours in a week I still get paid the same amount!

The firm I work often bids out jobs on a project by project basis. If we are doing more than one project for a client it is not uncommon for discounts to be worked in.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:46 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
I have a fantastic agent who I've known for a little while and found through others that used her too. I normally wouldn't consider but knowing her credibility I am thinking of listing with her and buying through her. I do have other options that focus on the area closer to my house but she's listed out her before with success. Anything that I should consider before giving her the go?
I've done this a couple times, with success. Both times I was buying a new build and basically did the bulk of the legwork in identifying the house I wanted to purchase etc. Because of this, I negotiated a reduced commission on the house I was selling and a full commission on the house I was buying - your situation may vary. IMO, if you may have a little room to work on the commission rate.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:03 PM

70 posts, read 176,297 times
Well, there are some agents who work for "less" in fact, search for "rebate realtors" in this forum sure you will find some - yes this thing hurts both decent buyers who go straight without a realtor and realtors who are helpful and work on commissions.

less = Giving 1-2% of their commission back to buyers(majority new constructions). YES it is true and it may sound crazy if you hear first time, lesson learned - where ever money is involved there will be room for negotiation/deal/tailor made arrangements - call it whatever you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin