Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 PM

396 posts, read 1,723,566 times

Advertisements

I currently live in north hollywood, ca. im about to graduate from film school.

i love la but it's way too expensive here. i would love to stay here after i graduate but with no money and no jobs lined up, i might have to get outta here.

i grew up in houston and have been to austin many times, i love it. and i have a few family members who live there and have told me to check into austin for jobs since the film industry is getting big there.

so i was just wondering if someone could fill me in on how the film industry is doing in austin. is it easy to get a job in the industry (and not necessarily on the filming side, even the office (production) side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 07:22 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
There are some small studios in Austin. A new one is being built in Bastrop. There was a story on the local news about it several months ago, but don't remember the name.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:36 AM

979 posts, read 2,954,666 times
The film industry in Austin is pretty slow these days. Most of the productions that would've been done here are being done in surrounding states with better tax incentives.

The film community in Austin is small and tends to move from project to project together, so if you can get in the loop, you can get relatively steady work when the jobs are coming to town.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:30 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Yes, the film industry in Austin is now mainly located in Louisiana and New Mexico. Everyone I know who is crew (chief greens, camera, set dressers, set builders etc) that used to live in Austin and who worked 2-3 big projects a year has left.

Hopefully the state will improve the incentives given to the film industry. But right now, the state of the film industry is pretty poor.

You are single? Learn to live cheap. Get a roommate or two. In this economy you need the contacts and experience you can get in LA. Work the alumni network of your school, do an internship, get a side job. And pray that the actors don't strike.

Good luck!

Old 01-16-2009, 09:53 AM

675 posts, read 1,904,434 times
There's quite a bit of work to be had in Austin but it's mostly documentaries, commercials and marketing. There is Friday Night Lights, though, which has provided a lot of jobs for awhile. But you can definitely make a living here-- it just takes a long time to build your network of people and demonstrate your abilities.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:21 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
There is a Job Hotline on this page

Web site for the Texas Film Commission
Office of the Governor - Rick Perry

http://governor.state.tx.us/film/res...ion_assistant/

Old 01-17-2009, 06:05 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,181 times
Talking new film studio being built

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Yes, the film industry in Austin is now mainly located in Louisiana and New Mexico. Everyone I know who is crew (chief greens, camera, set dressers, set builders etc) that used to live in Austin and who worked 2-3 big projects a year has left.

Hopefully the state will improve the incentives given to the film industry. But right now, the state of the film industry is pretty poor.

You are single? Learn to live cheap. Get a roommate or two. In this economy you need the contacts and experience you can get in LA. Work the alumni network of your school, do an internship, get a side job. And pray that the actors don't strike.

Good luck!
There is a film studio being built East of Austin, actually I believe it is in Bastrop County. It is a very big project and I do not think we will know much about it for a few years but I do remember them getting the permits, etc. With the downturn of the economy who knows?

Old 01-17-2009, 06:50 AM

I do believe (but I could be wrong and I haven't had my coffee yet so I'm not going to research) but I think that project is defunct!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:01 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Villa Muse is the defunct one. This new studio is smaller and they got good incentives from Bastrop County. It's 2 men, one out of California and another one from Austin who are starting it.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:17 AM

Hey, that is good to hear. I hope that the poor economy doesn't sink it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin