Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:58 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Another big draw of tankless is not having 30-40-50 gallons of water spilling into your attic, closet or garage IF a catastrophic failure should occur(not unheard of). Also, if you're unlucky enough to need to service or especially to replace a 40 gal tank situated in your attic, best of luck that everything runs smoothly . Servicing an attic water heater in 120 degree heat doesn't sound promising.
As long as the hot water heater is located, where a leak is not going to cause a major issue, I see having a tank full of water as an advantage (not a disadvantage).
I have a tank full of water, as a backup, in case of a water outage.

But mine is in the Garage, where if it leaked it would flow out the garage and down the driveway.

What I do not like is that I have to waste a LOT of water getting the cold water out of the way, so the hot water can flow into the shower.
It seems excessively long.
Then to make this worse, the bathroom window is not one that opens, so I can not route this cold water out onto the plants, as easily as I would like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
It seems to me that Texas needs to save water more than it needs to save energy and the amount of water wasted waiting for it to become hot is alarming. It definitely uses more energy but from what I read it isn't a substantial amount and becomes even more trivial with insulated pipes, timer as mentioned, and an energy efficient water heater, all for a nominal cost. Unfortunately, since it's not code, it's not possible to get on a production home like the one I'm building, which is rather frustrating.

Also, how does tankless waste less water? There are some tanked units which are actually more energy efficient than tankless as well.
I don't think that "it seems to me" is a good enough standard to decide things like this. You say the amount of water wasted waiting for hot water is alarming. But is that a lot of water or just alarming to you?

I would want to know how much water it would save per person per typical house. If it saves five gallons a day, is that a meaningful amount? How does that compare to the water saved by a front loading washer instead of top loading? Or low gpf toilets? None of those use any additional energy. The front loaders use less energy and water.

How about reducing the vast amounts of water used for lawn irrigation? Force HOAs to relax their standards for lawns.

Maybe a simpler building code issue to require water heaters to be placed in a central location reducing the physical distance for water flow would accomplish much of the same thing with zero additional energy use.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
Then to make this worse, the bathroom window is not one that opens, so I can not route this cold water out onto the plants, as easily as I would like.
This is another design 'feature' that bugs the heck out of me. We've had a few nice evenings(expecting more over the next couple of months) that allow open windows, but with no window in the master bath, there's no chance of air exchange without using the HVAC system in some fashion. Operable windows in the kitchen and baths would be one requirement in any home I designed or built, that's for sure!

I agree on the 'waste of water' concern. I always try to make good use of the water that I run to the kitchen or laundry while 'waiting' for the hot water to arrive.

To throw in another wrinkle, there are folks who say we should NEVER consume water that's been heated in a conventional water tank but 'instantly' heated water would be safe(r) since it's not exposed to the nasty sediment at the bottom of a tank-style water heater. Hmmm..... Just a thought for those who use 'hot' water for beverages and cooking.

DANG! Life is complicated!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
but 'instantly' heated water would be safe(r) since it's not exposed to the nasty sediment at the bottom of a tank-style water heater.
That sediment in the bottom of your water heater came out of the water - so whether it stays in the water or your water 'absorbs' (reabsorbs) it at the bottom of your tank is kind of meaningless....

Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
That sediment in the bottom of your water heater came out of the water - so whether it stays in the water or your water 'absorbs' (reabsorbs) it at the bottom of your tank is kind of meaningless....
Except for the sediment resulting from the deterioration of the tank and the pipes over time. Heating that material and putting it into a suspension and consuming it does give one pause. I'll admit it's not high on my list AND I use filtered water for cooking and beverages(so it wouldn't come from the hot line anyway), but something to think about with an older water heater and especially older pipes.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:32 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,593 times
If the flow of water to my house stops, and I need water, I will not hesitate to use what is in my hot water heater.
I always filter the water before I drink it (more for taste than anything else).
If I suspect an issue, I will filter it and then boil it before I drink it.
But I do like knowing that I have a tank full of water, just in case.

But I am considering getting multiple smaller hot water heaters, close to the places I use the hot water, and having it fed from a solar pre-heat type system.
But I also keep thinking I may be moving within a few years, making that investment less worth the effort.

I want to have my gas turned off.
The idea that gas is cheaper than electric must not be considering the monthly hook up charge. I spend more on the monthly hook up charge than actual gas.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:55 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,006 times
When we replumbed our 1917 bungalow we replaced the old hot water heater in the attic with tankless; I think it added MAYBE 10 to 15 percent to the total cost of the job before rebates and the Federal tax credit. Ended up being cheaper to go tankless than replace with a tank.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:42 PM

249 posts, read 492,196 times
I'm wondering how solar water heating factors into this.. Could I have a solar heated insulated water tank _and_ a tankless heater in case I ran out of solar water, or do they have combo tank units that can take hot water input from the solar?

Old 10-01-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
I'm wondering how solar water heating factors into this.. Could I have a solar heated insulated water tank _and_ a tankless heater in case I ran out of solar water, or do they have combo tank units that can take hot water input from the solar?
I'm pretty sure S-I-L's system 'pre-heats' the water and is held until called for and then brought up to temp 'conventionally'. I know the panels are pretty old, but the tank system may be newer. I'd have to check on that. They went from two adults and two teens to a total of three, so I don't know how their numbers are working out. Seems like a larger household would see a greater return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin