Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 PM

543 posts, read 1,382,507 times

Advertisements

Ok, so my parents are coming to Texas for their first visit and we will be staying in Austin on March 12th (we didn't know this visit would be during South by Southwest, btw). I'm trying to put together a list of things to do/show them during our stay. There is one catch though my father has terminal cancer and as such he can't walk a ton without running out of energy fairly quickly. So we'd be looking for things to do that don't require a lot of physical exertion. I haven't come up with a ton thus far:

1. Drive the Great Hills area
2. Watch the bats (we're staying at the Hyatt Regency would we be able to see them from there or is there a better place to watch them?)

What would C-D denizens do if they were in our situation? This will likely be my father's only visit to Austin so I'd like it to be special for him. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 08:56 PM

54 posts, read 152,942 times
Quote:
Watch the bats (we're staying at the Hyatt Regency would we be able to see them from there or is there a better place to watch them?)

Probably too early in the year for bat-watching, better check and see before including that. I hear the best views are from the Congress Avenue bridge, or the ends thereof, but if you do that, be sure to take an umbrella. Bats tend to discharge when they take off.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:13 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,559,521 times
Drive the Capital of Texas Highway Loop 360...some nice views of the hills and river/lake. Sunset at the Oasis or Iguana Grill...very nice view.

Sorry to hear about your DAD...Please make the most of the time you have with him.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:17 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,335,671 times
Take a picnic to Emma Long Park, or take some charcoal and have a cookout. It's a great place and no walking required.

Check the UT Tower schedule and see if they are offering tours. Very easy physically but something unique to do and see.

Takes a little walking, but don't miss the Capitol. Also, an IMAX movie is a great thing to do, especially if they are from a city with no IMAX theater.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:17 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbyz View Post

Probably too early in the year for bat-watching, better check and see before including that. I hear the best views are from the Congress Avenue bridge, or the ends thereof, but if you do that, be sure to take an umbrella. Bats tend to discharge when they take off.
The winter must be over, because I saw the bats emerge yesterday evening while I was running across the Congress bridge. It was about 6:40pm. Pretty big show, actually. There weren't many people watching because it is early in the season, but the bats were coming out in full force.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:42 PM

515 posts, read 1,397,486 times
I had these same questions last year when my mom visited for the first time. Due to some health issues, she also has a hard time walking very far. Her two favorite things where the sunset at the Oasis and the LBJ Ranch. There is not a lot of walking at the ranch as they offer a self guided driving tour once inside the grounds. Also once inside the house there is a wheel chair available for use.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I went through the same thing with my dad - hang in there and I hope you all enjoy your visit.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:07 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,652 times
Take them down to Salt Lick for BBQ and check out Luckenbach and some wineries in the hill country.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:15 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
Ok, so my parents are coming to Texas for their first visit and we will be staying in Austin on March 12th (we didn't know this visit would be during South by Southwest, btw). I'm trying to put together a list of things to do/show them during our stay. There is one catch though my father has terminal cancer and as such he can't walk a ton without running out of energy fairly quickly. So we'd be looking for things to do that don't require a lot of physical exertion. I haven't come up with a ton thus far:

1. Drive the Great Hills area
2. Watch the bats (we're staying at the Hyatt Regency would we be able to see them from there or is there a better place to watch them?)

What would C-D denizens do if they were in our situation? This will likely be my father's only visit to Austin so I'd like it to be special for him. Thanks for any help!
I'm very sorry to hear about your father's condition.

If possible, take him to see the sunset at the Oasis on Lake Travis. Go to Zilker and fly a kite, maybe watch the children fly kites. The Botanical Gardens are right there as well. Beautiful place, very peaceful.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:27 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Just a note on the Oasis. There are now three restaurants in that complex. You can eat better food at Soleil, next door to the Oasis. Also Uncle Billy's Brew and BBQ is next door. I have not eaten at Soleil but have heard good things so far. I went to Uncle Billy's during its first week and the beer is very good, the food wasn't bad either.

SOLEIL
Uncle Billy's on Lake Travis (http://www.unclebillysaustin.com/laketravis/ - broken link)

If your dad likes to fish, you might consider a guided fishing trip on Lake Travis. Allen Christensen operates out of Lakeway Marina and you can hire him for half a day for bass fishing. I have been out with him twice and tell you he is good. March might be just a bit early for really good bass fishing but call him to check.

Other ideas - Esther's Follies is an easy choice for parents if they have a good sense of humour. Might be crazy during SXSW though.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,984,151 times
They might enjoy one of the riverboat tours on Lake Austin or Lady Bird Lake: www.lonestarriverboat.com, Welcome to Lake Austin Riverboats, or Capital Cruises - Sunset Bat Watching, Dinner Cruises, Boat Rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin