Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:57 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,922 times

Advertisements

NJ is lucky!! Wish we can get this:

Good Morning NJ

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 08:22 AM

289 posts, read 1,138,977 times
Ack! What is that? It's all white and it covers everything! Looks like something out of Stephen King's new movie The Mist! Run!

-signed Former San Diego girl

Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 AM

418 posts, read 1,735,178 times
I'm originally from Baltimore and I've realized that I miss the first day of snow because everything's pretty and quiet...but all the ones after that, nope, don't miss 'em at all.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
One of the things we miss about Denver this time of the year!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:19 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,900,505 times
I like snow in December and January. After that it starts to get oppressive(especially when the snow turn black and crusty from all of the car exhaust). Here's what we woke up to last Valentines day in Cleveland. The drift in the backyard, was almost up to my chest! It took us 4 1/2 hrs to clear the driveway and dig out the cars, but it was sort of fun. Everybody in the neighborhood was doing the same thing
Attached Thumbnails
Why can't we get this?-backyard.jpg   Why can't we get this?-seedum.jpg  

Old 11-19-2007, 11:16 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,728,801 times
Crazy, would you have to go to work on days like that? I mean if you work 8-5...you get up at 3am to shovel snow? Or even on weekends you spend almost 5 hours doing hard labor by shoveling snow?
I couldnt imagine adding 4 hrs of snow time just to get through my days.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:21 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,900,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Crazy, would you have to go to work on days like that? I mean if you work 8-5...you get up at 3am to shovel snow? Or even on weekends you spend almost 5 hours doing hard labor by shoveling snow?
I couldnt imagine adding 4 hrs of snow time just to get through my days.

Ha! No, in situations like that, work places usually shut down OR employers just cut folks some slack and they either call off or just get to work when they can. Amazingly, by the end of that day, the roads were fine for safe driving. It stopped snowing by the late afternoon and the road crews were able to get the stuff pushed around and out of the way. Salt works wonders(and also ruins cars).

Old 11-19-2007, 12:24 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,374,728 times
I'm not going to miss any of that white stuff when I move down Austin way! On days like those, only "essential personnel" are allowed on the roads here in PA! Essential personnel means nurses...so I always have to make my way to work on treacherous roads. What you do is start your vehicle before you even jump in the shower...that way, the ice and snow are all melted off by the time you are ready to leave for work However, the roads are a totally different story

Old 11-19-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
I like snow in December and January. After that it starts to get oppressive(especially when the snow turn black and crusty from all of the car exhaust). Here's what we woke up to last Valentines day in Cleveland. The drift in the backyard, was almost up to my chest! It took us 4 1/2 hrs to clear the driveway and dig out the cars, but it was sort of fun. Everybody in the neighborhood was doing the same thing
So after all, you miss it or ya glad you left it?

Old 11-19-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
I'm not going to miss any of that white stuff when I move down Austin way! On days like those, only "essential personnel" are allowed on the roads here in PA! Essential personnel means nurses...so I always have to make my way to work on treacherous roads. What you do is start your vehicle before you even jump in the shower...that way, the ice and snow are all melted off by the time you are ready to leave for work However, the roads are a totally different story
Only thing I never enjoyed was ice scrapping the windows or having a hard time to get in my car because the ice on the door handle was locked shut / tight. So basically I could not get inside my vehicle. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: