Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 04:50 PM

249 posts, read 492,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
It's all relative..coming from places like Los Angeles and New York City, where one borough contains more people than the entire austin msa, to some people austin is thought of as a tiny city
Austin passed San Francisco in population in 2011 or 2012 IIRC, and the MSA is over 1 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 04:52 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,576 times
Austin is the land of milk and honey. Please arrive asap!

Old 01-12-2014, 05:16 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
Austin passed San Francisco in population in 2011 or 2012 IIRC, and the MSA is over 1 million.
Like I said, compared to places like L.A. (where the OP is from) and NYC (where my home borough alone exceeded 1.5 million people fifteen years ago), some people will indeed think that Austin is "tiny". That's not a knock against Austin, it's just how it is.

I happen to like Austin because it is NOT a big city.

The thing about Austin is that it's still trying to figure things out. It has the population all right, but things like infrastructure, etc. and related big-city "growing pains" are still issues (at least judging by the threads we see on this forum).

Old 01-12-2014, 05:18 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
No offense but I remember some of your past posts about the Austin attitude, AKA Austitude?
I'm guessing things are all kosher now, with your "amazing" reference? I'm just a little confused...
Yeah I remember austin from my college days as a largely hipster haven where slackerdom reigned. I'm sure it's still there but when I visited I saw it more as a young professional hub full of interesting ppl. I didn't think there was anything to the city outside of college and I was wrong. I at least admit it.

I'm moving back to Texas but I don't want to end up in Houston. I want to live in either San Antonio or Austin.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:18 PM

147 posts, read 595,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
*snip*
If you don't win the forum contest, someone deserves to be smacked.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:39 PM

115 posts, read 160,671 times
This is a great article:

Austin named best city for starting your life over

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Took a trip to Austin two weeks ago and I fell in love with the new Austin. It looks amazing. I had not been to Austin in over six years and it has really changed. It looks less like the Boho college town I remembered and more like a Texas version of San Jose/San Francisco. Some of the hillside homes and restaurants near the lakes are just as or more breathtaking sites than what I've seen here in California (minus Big Sur, Monterrey and Carmel).

I moved out to Los Angeles from my hometown of Houston two years ago for a change not knowing that Austin itself was a nice little bustling city. I had always seen it as a place to go to college and then jet out to work in Dallas or Houston but now I see it as a big deal all on it's own.

I hope I am not just looking at it through rose colored shades but I really enjoyed my time there. It was freezing but I enjoyed every minute of it. LA is nice and gorgeous but it's too expensive and too crowded and way too big for me.

Is it possible to start over in Austin. My significant other can easily transfer jobs and keep her CA pay at 43,000. Is that good enough salary to start off until I find a job somewhere? By the end of the year I will have a degree in architecture tech; auto-cad, revitt, drawing and rendering, etc. Hopefully there are engineering, tech or construction firms that are hiring.

Now give it to me straight. Can we find some affordable apartments near the city starting at 800-850? They don't have to be smack dab in downtown but the outskirts are fine and I wouldn't mind even living a bit up north too. Just close enough to a freeway to hit the town.

What are the cons of living in Austin? Is there a lot to do?

Old 01-13-2014, 07:27 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouse2000 View Post
That article is over two years old.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:30 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Yeah I remember austin from my college days as a largely hipster haven where slackerdom reigned. I'm sure it's still there but when I visited I saw it more as a young professional hub full of interesting ppl. I didn't think there was anything to the city outside of college and I was wrong. I at least admit it.

I'm moving back to Texas but I don't want to end up in Houston. I want to live in either San Antonio or Austin.
It sounds like you need to familiarize yourself with these cities much better first, before deciding where to move. None are the same as 5-10 years ago.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:17 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
It sounds like you need to familiarize yourself with these cities much better first, before deciding where to move. None are the same as 5-10 years ago.
Well I'm here to get info on them. Can u at least provide some pros and cons, advice on his to get started?

Old 01-13-2014, 12:11 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Well I'm here to get info on them. Can u at least provide some pros and cons, advice on his to get started?
I'm not sure you'd like San Antonio. It has some nice suburbs, for families, but to me doesn't cater to DINKs (I assume you and your significant other are) as much; central is still very tourist-oriented. It's gained a lot in population, though.
It may be hard with your apartment budget in that range.
If you want to move back to Texas, I'd look for jobs in your field in Austin to get an idea, but don't discount central areas of Houston that have seen revitalization in recent years. Maybe even Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin