Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 09:36 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,579 times

Advertisements

So I'm seeing some scat in the yard and before I find some poop in the pool I'd like some raccoon advice from all of you fine folks.

First off I don't have any food sources for the buggers other than what they can forage, there isn't any pet food, bird seed or the like in fact I suspect they are here for the pool water as it has a very shallow approach.

Does anyone have any recs for a removal service? Additionally any idea about how much it's going to cost for removal?

If I choose to pick up a trap are there any services that will come git the critter or is there anywhere that I can drop them off?

I have trapped them before back in NY and did the whole release thing but darn some of them get all crazy mean so I'd rather avoid that. Not really into drowning them in a trashcan or executing them gangland style in my backyard (I suspect there is something in the HOA rules about firearms and critter killing).

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 09:48 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,282 times
Get a coon dog? I've got a mean-ass Aussie you can borrow that hates those bastards.

Or, try these guys:

Austins Wildlife Removal Services

Old 07-10-2014, 10:12 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Get a coon dog? I've got a mean-ass Aussie you can borrow that hates those bastards.

Or, try these guys:

Austins Wildlife Removal Services
Thanks, I'll give them a call.

It has crossed my mind that this might be the time to convince my wife that we really need a ridgeback...of course by the time I got one and got it trained up I might be a raccoon rancher.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Thanks, I'll give them a call.

It has crossed my mind that this might be the time to convince my wife that we really need a ridgeback...of course by the time I got one and got it trained up I might be a raccoon rancher.
Careful though, some of those raccoons can be real mean. I've actually found that many animals (including those varmint whitetail) will pass by the house that has been sufficiently "marked" by a large male predator. Given the fact that humans are one of the apex predators, you may want to grab a sixer and have a late night. Sounds crazy, but it's the only damn thing that worked to keep them from eating every shrub in my front yard, and ran off the raccoon nest under my sage bushes.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:01 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,830 times
A word of caution about cleaning up that scat. Raccoon scat can be infected with a parasite that can be deadly to humans. When cleaning up scat, wear gloves. Do not expose yourself to the dust of the scat by sweeping it dry. Always spray dry scat with water if it is dry. You might wear a mask while cleaning it up. I don't know about scat in the pool. The chlorine may kill the organisms, but I would check into that.

I used to volunteer at a wildlife shelter, and the raccoons were isolated. Only volunteers with a series of specific vaccinations and training could work with them.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
A word of caution about cleaning up that scat. Raccoon scat can be infected with a parasite that can be deadly to humans. When cleaning up scat, wear gloves. Do not expose yourself to the dust of the scat by sweeping it dry. Always spray dry scat with water if it is dry. You might wear a mask while cleaning it up. I don't know about scat in the pool. The chlorine may kill the organisms, but I would check into that.

I used to volunteer at a wildlife shelter, and the raccoons were isolated. Only volunteers with a series of specific vaccinations and training could work with them.
Leptospirosis. It's also the only thing your unvaccinated dog can give you.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:16 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Leptospirosis. It's also the only thing your unvaccinated dog can give you.
Thank you. I had forgotten the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin