Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:21 PM

207 posts, read 346,047 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

So weve been in austin for a little over a year now and I figured I would give my review of how its been. This could possibly help others and just point out some of the differences from the various parts of the country. So I will start with the negatives..move on to the positives..and recap.

1) Austin seriously is an oversized suburb with a skyline. If you are coming from bigger cities (NYC, Chicago, Philly, LA etc) you will really notice it fast. It might be a good or negative for you. For us we miss the variety of food options (and that means great cheaper meals in the $20 for 2) and variety, entertainment options such as zoos-museums, professional sports, and the while feel of the city is very suburban.

2) public transportation is so bad. Now coming from an area where all the suburbs have their own train station where you can get on and be downtown in 30 minutes this is big. I don't use it often but its an extremely nice thing to have when you wanna go downtown and don't wan to drive or can't drive {drinking). And everyone opposes most progress in this part.

3) road infrastructure is horrid. Not a very get road system by any means and the drivers...don't get me started more aggressive then most anywhere I've ever been.

4) forced to shop at heb because there is literally no where else..Randal's is a small overpriced pick up a few things, trader Joe's I sprouts whole foods are all speciality, Walmart no one wants to eat their meat or seafood..produce...and target which few grocery shop there. Sam's club and Costco are bulk.

5) obviously number 1 for us but may or may not be am issue for others is not having family here.

I won't sit here and nit pick every single thing...but this was just a general overview of some of the things I felt where negatives thus far..

As for for hr positives..

1) it would clearly be hard to say you were trying to find a job and not have one. So many places are going up...do many hiring signs all around.

2) housing is cheaper along with taxes...although rising still no where near the north home prices.

3) the ability to succeed at a young age and start family/career is super high.

4) weather...y'all can complain about the heat but until you experience a winter up north you have no clue how fast I'll take the heat. I will say I miss snow around Xmas (and everyone putting lights and decorations on almost all hones), fall with the leaves-bonfires hoodie weather and the beautiful summers..

5) hills and river

6)exciting to be apart of the growth and see the city and suburbs transformed. I mean cities like round rock and cedar park had a few thousand people only 10ish years ago now are at 100k and 45k.

Overall...

I think Austin is a really good place to call home. We plan on buying a home and continuing the successes we have had here so far. I do miss plenty of things and would consider moving back one day mainly because of family...and that food however I can't convince the spouse to leave no matter how hard I try.

Austin is becoming a city little by little but it still feels suburban and lacks a great deal in terms of entertainment, food and city life. However, Austin is still experiencing is growth and is changing so fast it's only a natter of time before it starts getting these things. Overall if you like big city vibe...probably not going to be crazy about Austin...yet at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 07:30 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,779,251 times
are you moving away???...

Old 10-29-2014, 07:31 PM

213 posts, read 301,933 times
No they said they're staying, buying a place...

Old 10-29-2014, 07:44 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,779,251 times
oh yeah...i need some sleep...

Old 10-29-2014, 08:33 PM

390 posts, read 671,889 times
I agree with you about Austin being very suburban. I find it a little ironic that people think they are living an urban lifestyle while living in the Zilker area, Allandale, etc., Those areas seem quite suburban to me. However, I don't necessarily think of it as a negative. I like it overall.

I also agree with the lack of public transportation. I find the lack of public transportation to be somewhat shocking, but I also don't think that the community as a whole is very open to the idea of public transportation. Texans seem to like their cars.

And finally, I agree with you completely about the heat! I will take the Austin summer any day over a northern winter.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:33 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,773,122 times
Hmmmm.... I've lived all around the USA and can assure you there is no better place to shop for food than Central Market. HEB is a close second and is much better than many cities that are larger than Austin.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:37 PM

390 posts, read 671,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Hmmmm.... I've lived all around the USA and can assure you there is no better place to shop for food than Central Market. HEB is a close second and is much better than many cities that are larger than Austin.
I like my HEB now very much, but it took me a while to get used to it and be happy with it. My mother, who is a grocery store snob, loves Central Market.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:55 PM

319 posts, read 610,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
I agree with you about Austin being very suburban. I find it a little ironic that people think they are living an urban lifestyle while living in the Zilker area, Allandale, etc., Those areas seem quite suburban to me. However, I don't necessarily think of it as a negative. I like it overall.
There's different degrees of urbanism. In terms of density, they're comparable to a lot of inner city neighborhoods. Culturally, they identify with a lot of other neighborhoods as well. The buildings just top out at 4-6 stories. Yeah they're not downtown but you can't really compare them to Cedar Park or even Northwest Hills.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:11 PM

615 posts, read 781,856 times
I'm from Boston and have never felt like I was living in an "oversized suburb." I'd be curious to know where you are living. You mention round rock and cedar park, so I'm guessing you do actually live in the suburbs. I can guarantee if you drive 30 mins outside of Boston or NYC, you will also be well in the thick of suburbia.

Regarding HEB, there are many other options, not that there's anything wrong with HEB. The obvious one is Central Market, but there is also Whole Foods, and others. Regarding meat, find a butcher shop. I have two of the most amazing butcher shops I've ever encountered within a mile of my house, dai due and salt & time.

I will give you that public transportation is abysmal here, but frankly, get over it. Austin isn't NYC and doesn't have a train going out to every 'burb and borough. You didn't need to move here to discover that.

I just think you need to get out of wherever you are and explore more.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:50 PM

207 posts, read 464,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Same. I've shopped Safeway, Giant, Harris Teeter, BiLo, Aldi, Shoppers, Publix, Piggly Wiggly, Ingles, Food Lion, and Kroger but I'll take HEB over any of them. Miles and miles better than any other store I've lived near, both in quality and price. The only place that gives them a challenge would be Publix which has decent store brands and produce, but HEB has excellent store brands, good produce, and is cheaper to boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin