Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 12:20 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Again, every situation is different, but most people don't need to buy as large of a house in CA because there is more time spent outside on average.
Yeah, you really have to do specific comparisons. You can still get a 2500 square foot house in Cedar Park for $300K give or take a bit either way. That would probably be more equal to what you'd get in San Marcos, CA in that $550K range (some might even have mello-roos like Santa Fe Hills). HOA fees for neighborhoods with community swimming pools and parks in Cedar Park runs more like $40 per month. I do think that 60% number is pretty good, but of course it could vary as you make trade-offs in each area. You can definitely make arguments on both sides, but I think we'll both agree that you'll be paying more for a house in CA in general when comparing apples to apples and exactly how much more will depend on quite a few different variables.

But, I think it's good to have these little discussions because a lot of Californians that I know think that they can move to "Austin" and get a huge house for $200K on 2 acres that feeds into great schools, etc. On the other hand, I know people that live here that think you have to pay $800K in order to get a house in CA that feeds into good schools in a safe area within driving distance to the beach for a day trip, etc. and it's not really true either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 01:52 PM

99 posts, read 180,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I've read a lot of negative comments about how bad the traffic and housing prices (including property taxes) are in Austin (those seem to be the two main gripes - and they appear to be accurate gripes). I'm curious where Austin residents generally go if they move away from Austin? Are there cities they favorite to escape the housing costs and traffic?
If I told you I would just jinx myself. I just know There will not be a chance of having any 100 degree days where I am going. I just know that I hate the growth here, especially given the mediocre humans moving here. It gets more annoying everyday.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
I don't know if anybody from Austin relocates to down in Little Rock, but as someone who spent most of my life in Austin, and who has only visited Little Rock, I'll say there are similarities, at least to the landscape and relative size of the cities.

The riverfront in Little Rock reminds me a bit of town lake, and there are great hills and landscape to the west.

We are happily in Fayetteville for the time being but recently traveled down to Little Rock and I left really impressed. The downtown area is buzzing with new activity. They have a beautiful waterfront, a presidential library and lots of local/small businesses, breweries, etc. It lacks the college town vibe, but there seemed to be lots of young people there. If you could combine Fayetteville with Little Rock, you'd have Austin all over again.
I have not been to Little Rock yet, but I have been to Hot Springs. It is a beautiful are, low cost of living compared to Austin. Lots of hills, pine trees, lakes. My brother lives just outside of Hots Springs and commutes to Little Rock to work. Traffic isn't bad from what he describes.

I am considering Hot Springs as an option for retirement. It is nice to know that Little Rock has a lot to offer. Only problem I see so far is that they do have a state income tax.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:22 PM

375 posts, read 319,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have not been to Little Rock yet, but I have been to Hot Springs. It is a beautiful are, low cost of living compared to Austin. Lots of hills, pine trees, lakes. My brother lives just outside of Hots Springs and commutes to Little Rock to work. Traffic isn't bad from what he describes.

I am considering Hot Springs as an option for retirement. It is nice to know that Little Rock has a lot to offer. Only problem I see so far is that they do have a state income tax.
We're driving up there in two weeks(Hot Springs). No plans, really, other than getting away from here for 4-5 days and a change of scenery. We like to just get in the car and drive. Haven't ever considered Arkansas as a place to move to but I am open to it. Will just keep an open mind!

Old 02-23-2015, 02:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

Some states with state income taxes favor retirees though so look into it further.
It might not be as bad as you think.

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees-Kiplinger

Old 02-23-2015, 02:50 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
We're driving up there in two weeks(Hot Springs). No plans, really, other than getting away from here for 4-5 days and a change of scenery. We like to just get in the car and drive. Haven't ever considered Arkansas as a place to move to but I am open to it. Will just keep an open mind!
If you have time, consider visiting Little Rock's downtown on your trip. I think you'll see what I'm talking about. A good destination is the Clinton Presidential Library, but they have a great riverfront area downtown, too and several restaurants.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:57 PM

375 posts, read 319,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
If you have time, consider visiting Little Rock's downtown on your trip. I think you'll see what I'm talking about. A good destination is the Clinton Presidential Library, but they have a great riverfront area downtown, too and several restaurants.
Thanks for the suggestions. Any favorite restaurants you can recommend?

Old 02-23-2015, 02:57 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
I'm the opposite of fed up with Austin, I still want to experience living in a couple of different neighborhoods. Like 78704 and East Austin. Those would be next on the radar should we decide to move.

But I'd entertain the idea of a second home, to get away from the heat. For that, I think I'd probably go for New Mexico or the Lake Tahoe area.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:14 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,191 times
Quote:
If scm53 is correct, you should own California state income tax for the few years you was not living in California, but receiving income from your california clients. It states that none resident need to report the income from California source. I left california long time ago and visited it many times since I left. But, I don't realize the state agent become so ruthlessly trying to get tax revenue from someone from other states.
Not to derail the thread with tax advice, but this is only true if I performed the work in California. It's not unusual - it's meant to handle cases like living in Jersey but working in NYC. If I live in another state but commute to CA for my job, I'm a nonresident and owe CA state income taxes on the nonresident level. That's pretty common.

I don't perform any work in California, nor hire anyone who does - so they have no jurisdiction over me. But I do perform work for people in CA, so even though the income 'source' is CA, that's where it stops.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:03 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Any favorite restaurants you can recommend?
This place is great downtown. South on Main - Restaurant and Performance Venue - Little Rock, Arkansas

We also had one meal at a place called Big Orange, but i can't recall the neighborhood.

There were a few food vendors at the market pavillion on President Clinton Ave downtown. There were several restaurants down in the market district which is a couple of blocks from the library along Clinton Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin