Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 01:21 PM

785 posts, read 953,815 times

Advertisements

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Austin is one of the fastest growing cities that people are moving to, almost crippling the infrastructure, yet blacks, and I assume other minorities, don't see it as an option.

Austin (as well as San Antonio) are in the top 10 of income segregated cities in the US.

Quote:
The findings also reveal:
· African Americans were the only declining ethnic group in Austin’s general population. Whites, Latinos and Asian Americans were all on the rise during 2000 to 2010.
· Other major cities, such as New York, San Jose, Baltimore and San Diego, experienced African American population declines during this decade. However, none of these cities had growth rates comparable to Austin.
· Fort Worth, El Paso and San Antonio experienced double-digit general population growth similar to Austin. Yet unlike Austin, all three of these cities also experienced simultaneous double-digit general population growth in African Americans.
My thoughts:
-There isn't much attractive culturally for blacks in Austin
-Lack of overall diversity in Austin vs other cities where blacks are moving
-People's aversive attitude towards race discussion. I have noticed that many people praise Austin for being progressive, but it's only progressive when it comes to certain issues. That's why I laugh when Austinites say Austin is diverse or doesn't have race issues. I have heard many on this forum, both black men and women, complain about not feeling included in social settings in Austin.

Should Austin try to correct this or should blacks just avoid Austin all together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 01:53 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
There is at least one (if not many) threads on this, but mostly it is affordability - black Austinites are becoming black Pflugervillers and Round Rockers......

Old 10-08-2015, 01:57 PM

So the economic segregation is true ?

Old 10-08-2015, 02:05 PM

The percentage increase in house values has probably been some of the highest in what used to be historically black neighborhoods. So minorities are talking the money and running - to better schools and nicer homes, but not in Austin proper (although still the Austin MSA).

Pflugerville has gone from 9.5% to 15.5% AA from 2000 to 2010, while the population has gone from 16k to 47k over that time period.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:07 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
Blacks are not the only minority that counts, they are gaining in Latinos and Asians, this sounds like a race baiting post OP.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Blacks are not the only minority that counts, they are gaining in Latinos and Asians, this sounds like a race baiting post OP.
Not race baiting. This is what I mean. This was a UT study that I'm quoting yet I'm race bating to have a candid discussion about it, hence my third statement about Austinites when you talk about race.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:17 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,473,271 times
San Antonio has historically been dominated by Hispanics.

There are other cities in Texas that have an active, vibrant African-American social scene (Houston and Dallas). Many professional Blacks tend to move to either of those cities over Austin. I know this because almost all of the AA law clerks desire to go to either our Houston or our Dallas offices. They tend to have things that many African American professionals enjoy. Many Black people like to live in urban centers (Atlanta, New York, DC, LA, Miami) and I wouldn't consider Austin much of an urban center at all.

Austin can be considered income segregated, yes. But at least with income segregation (vs. racial segregation), if you work and make money, you have entry into whatever area/neighborhood that you can afford. Unlike the ethnic segregation in places like NYC where ethnic groups often try to prevent others who are not of said ethnicity from moving in.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:20 PM

Your presumptive statement? It seems that disagreeing with someone is often viewed as being adverse to the discussion....

It is more that the topic has been discussed at length with no clear purpose or resolution for whatever problem there is (or perceived to be). I think it is evident that you have to have money to move into Austin right now, and, as a group, AAs don't have the money. The real questions is why aren't AAs more wealthy? And that is not an Austin topic, really. Austin stands out statistically due to the rate of price increases coupled with property taxes.

Now, wealth AAs have more reason to move to Houston or Dallas, too, if they want a social scene that represents their demographic, as well.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:28 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I think it is evident that you have to have money to move into Austin right now, and, as a group, AAs don't have the money.
That's not true. What makes AAs averse to moving into Austin is all the stuff other people think they know, assume they know, & rattle off as if they know. But, they don't know. Don't care. Don't really want to deal with you. And moved to Austin specifically so they don't have to deal with you. And many AAs can't fake it, so rather than get arrested for acting 'stereotypically' black and "handling" the problem. (Because remember, we are Texans too!) Off to Houston or Dallas where they are appreciated.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:15 PM

300 posts, read 414,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Agree. Someone is trying to play the race card in this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin