Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 10:34 AM

9 posts, read 17,725 times

Advertisements

Hello Austinites!

My neighbors have a huge old oak tree and another smaller oak tree that are precariously growing towards my property. The smaller of the trees is growing into cable/telephone lines and the larger reaches over my roof, providing it with beautiful nice shade but simultaneously growing heavier in a lopsided manner.

I'm a graduate student and don't have a large amount of disposable capital to have a licensed arborist come and trim this tree. I realize this is something I should have thought about when I moved into this home. I moved from another place where a neighbor's tree is a neighbor's business and is taken care of by them and am learning this lesson late and the hard way.

I know the city also has rules about "trees of a certain size" I'm worried about how overgrown this tree is getting and every time I leave home I fear the next storm will cause it to come crashing down on my roof.

If you were me, what would you do? I would prefer not to call the city and complain about it.

Link to pictures: What do? - Album on Imgur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 11:21 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,002,897 times
I love trees but that one needs to be trimmed up and it won't hurt it if it's done right. It is a hazard. Have you talked to the neighbor? Maybe the power company will trim it up...you could ask. Those are a lot of lines running through it.

Personally, there was a tree just recently brushing up against our house. I trimmed it up. However, it wasn't the size of the tree you are making reference to.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:27 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,906,399 times
I'd call the phone company and maybe also 311 - worth a shot

Old 05-12-2016, 12:51 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,400,510 times
The city came out and trimmed the trees around our lines free of charge as electrician wouldn't do work until it was done. The roof deal is your call but discuss with the neighbor. Your insurance would cover minus deductible if a limb fell. It is the wrong time of year to trim oaks though.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:08 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,559,521 times
The trees could use trimming just for their health, never mind the potential hazard. If you get any pushback, you could walk on your roof and lop off whatever you could reach in the short term(not the best time right now). Even if the branches didn't break and fall on your place, the wind could drive some limbs into your shingles and rip them off...no fun.

I think the utility folks would be interested in clearing the lines...and they know how to navigate around them. Looks like you could still have some good shade, even after trimming.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:56 PM

60 posts, read 54,125 times
Wow those are big beautiful trees. Hopefully someone can trim them up for you

Old 05-12-2016, 06:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
The utility company will come out and trim them whether the owner wants them trimmed or not if they are anywhere near utility lines. And whether or not you call them, eventually it will happen. Better sooner than later, though if they are oaks, probably not until June due to the danger of oak wilt - oaks are not supposed to be trimmed between February and June.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:34 PM

436 posts, read 571,064 times
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...1c5d29_400.jpg
$40 at home depot.
Bit of work but can clip the limbs along your property line that are heading for the wires. If its touching a power line then call the city, otherwise it is unfortunately nobody elses problem but the property owners that the limbs are going across. I have hackberry trees that cause me no end of grief with the power and cable lines around my house. The electric company will trim the ones along the poles but anything on my property they say are "not their problem", nor the cable companies for the ones that knock down my time warner cable occasionally. They will re run the cable line but trimming the trees is not their problem. Spending a few dozen hours every year with the chainsaw and tools doing tree maintenance is just one of the many "perks" *cough* of home ownership. Bleh.

edit: Yeesh, judging from those pics you might have a problem. If it were my house I would probably be willing to tackle it with my chainsaw, cherry picker, rope and a lot of planning but your best bet may either to plead for your neighbor to hire a contractor or trim off a bit at a time. Man thats a doozie of a tree heading your way, not impossible to trim down on your own but sure as hell wont be easy. The good news is its an Oak and they dont shed big limbs without a good reason. The last time the oak in MY front yard dropped a big limb was when this happend>

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pi...-NOUS44-PNSEWX
I was in the green path, Oaks are tough dude.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-17-2016 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: hotlinking

Old 05-13-2016, 07:59 PM

363 posts, read 989,066 times
phone company won't come out and trim anything. Their lines look pretty clear of the trees and with the worry about oak wilt, they tend to shy away from tree trimming.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
The electric company, however, will come out and trim if the lines are in any way at risk. And nothing you can say will stop them. Experience over decades here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin