Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 11:28 AM

470 posts, read 454,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The 1950's "Dust Bowl" affected Central Texas. Lake Travis has its lowest levels on record recorded during that time period.

So it was not always the case that in the past time periods summer rainfall was more frequent. I think it varied just as much as it does now, with El Nino years favoring precip and La Nino years favoring drought.
I was only comparing last decade to this present one. Nevertheless, those droughts were highly unusual for Central Texas; the region normally isn't this dry during summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 03:51 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Central Texas isn't all that dry; there are normally decent amounts of rain annually (around the same as many Midwestern cities), just that recent years have been drier than normal for the region.
I don't think the statement was that it is dry now, but that in general it's basically feast or famin. Think Memorial Day rain, summer with a few rainy days then the Halloween rain and dry...

Old 08-03-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I don't think the statement was that it is dry now, but that in general it's basically feast or famin. Think Memorial Day rain, summer with a few rainy days then the Halloween rain and dry...
I was referring to the rainfall frequency; I still don't think the Central Texas climate normally is all that "feast or famine" in regards to rainfall. There normally is many days of decent rainfall, just that the recent droughts are skewing things.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:03 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
I was referring to the rainfall frequency; I still don't think the Central Texas climate normally is all that "feast or famine" in regards to rainfall. There normally is many days of decent rainfall, just that the recent droughts are skewing things.
Look at the historical levels of Lake Travis and you'll see the droughts and rainy weather quite clearly. It really is feast or famine.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Look at the historical levels of Lake Travis and you'll see the droughts and rainy weather quite clearly. It really is feast or famine.
Yes, these weather cycles happen (they happen everywhere on Earth, to an extent). But, still, it stands that the typical climate in Central Texas, as it pertains to rainfall, does have quite a bit of consistency, and isn't constant feast/famine yearly.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:54 AM

Another interesting pattern is the prominent spring peak in rainfall seen in the I-35 corridor vs a stronger summer rainfall pattern along the state's Gulf Coast.

Austin, Dallas and San Antonio all record more frequent amounts of rainy days in the Spring than Central Houston, Beaumont, and Corpus do (seen especially with the month of May). On the other hand, the rainfall is high in frequency along the coast during summer, and is even the time of peak occurrence, on average (especially for Central Houston and Beaumont, which are wet throughout the summer); the southerly part of the coast stays dry early on during summer, but rainfall picks up from mid August through September, corresponding with the tropical Mexican rainy season.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:49 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Speaking of weather cycles, apparently La Nino is in full swing now. Expect hot weather to extend well into the fall, possibly October, with a very warm and dry winter. Next spring is supposed to be dry as well and then the summer is normally dry anyway.

It's good the lakes are full because we are going to need them full for this stretch. We could be looking at record low water levels in Lake Travis in a year or so.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:20 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
We could be looking at record low water levels in Lake Travis in a year or so.
It takes a few years to get down to seriously low levels, probably even a little longer with the new water release policies. If record lows do occur (presumably due to another drought period), it will likely take 4 years or so to get there.

It does look like the highland lakes area could be headed in for another dry spell:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...on_drought.png

Old 08-05-2016, 08:15 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
[quote=Weatherguy;44994083]Austin has sort of a midwestern climate as far as moisture and rainfall. We have about the same precip amount annually as places like Chicago and Minneapolis. Of course, their winters are extremely cold and ours aren't.quote]
Some of the similarities can be attributed to the great lakes and their impact on moisture levels and temperature zones along the lakes. "Lake effect" isn't just snow, but also temperature impacts, airflow...you probably know more than I do from a scientific standpoint.

One significant difference from WI/Chicago/Minneapolis weather to what we see here that I have observed is the weather in the Great Lakes region is almost always from the west or northwest. Central TX weather observation requires identifying which way is it coming from? There are significant variances in the patterns and origins of the weather here that are not found there.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Speaking of weather cycles, apparently La Nino is in full swing now. Expect hot weather to extend well into the fall, possibly October, with a very warm and dry winter. Next spring is supposed to be dry as well and then the summer is normally dry anyway.

It's good the lakes are full because we are going to need them full for this stretch. We could be looking at record low water levels in Lake Travis in a year or so.
La Nina increases hurricane activity in the Atlantic basin, so that allows greater chance for tropical relief in Texas during summer, in case winter and spring fail to deliver.

In any rate, this is a problem for inland Texas anyways. East Texas and the coast tend to ride out from these nonsensical droughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin