Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,028 times

Advertisements

Chicago isn't so bad. Maybe my sense of smell isn't as keen as yours, but sewage vapors? C'mon... And the homeless don't accost you. If you don't like homeless people, don't go to downtown Austin! By the way, do I know you? Lifelong Chicagoan here, born and raised in the NW burbs, then lived in condos in the city (Lakeview) from 2000 - 2015. Let me guess, paying those kind of property taxes...you're in Lake County, perhaps, Deerfield? That's where we would have gone had we stayed. Property taxes down here are on par with the NW burbs of Chicago. But, no State Income Tax. Lower Sales Tax. Lower Child Care Costs. Lower Gas Prices. Cost of Living is LOWER. Anyhow, I NEVER thought I'd leave Illinois and my family and friends. I LOVED living in the city. My friends in the burbs just didn't get it. But you are right about the taxes. Illinois is broke and it's getting worse. That said, we actually moved because of that coldest-ever winter a couple years ago. Wife and I are both in IT, so Austin made sense. We (wife & kids - now 6 & 3) moved here in August 2015. A year-plus later and we're thriving! It's been nothing short of fantastic. We both found jobs (had to leave ours in Chicago), kids are in a great school system AISD (Hill Elementary, Anderson HS) and our neighborhood couldn't be more family friendly. We've met great friends in a very short period of time. Everyone here is so genuine. So many transplants, you have to figure, people need to meet new people, so everyone is nice! Climate: It's HOT down here in July and August. But you get used to it. And it's a no-brainer trade off. No more -20 and snow! No coats! No winter boots! No wet snow coming at you sideways in 40 mph winds that destroy your umbrella! Come January when it's 60, you'll realize you made the right choice. Work/Commute/Location: Location: We're 12 miles from downtown (Northwest Austin) yet we have a home and a yard and it only takes 20 minutes to get downtown. Traffic can be terrible if you're commuting towards the city from any direction, but it's all relative. You are correct, in Chicago, you talk time, not distance. The reality is, you may be stuck in horrible traffic here, but it's really only for a few miles. Not 40 miles! Think about it though. Beautiful hills, river. Where do you put the roads? Also, bad planning, but that's another story. It would have been difficult for any city to keep up with the kind of growth Austin has seen, especially with all the environmental rules here. Bottom line, if you need to be close to your husbands job, fact is, you're not moving to Austin. You won't be anywhere near Austin's beauty and charm. Granted, commuting north for work would probably be a piece of cake, but that's a long commute. So, not sure what industry your husband is in, but there are plenty of jobs down here. Especially in the IT field...sales, engineering, project management, etc. He can always find a new job. Also, rent first, then find your home. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 09:43 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,098,988 times
Looks like the OP is now considering Nashville,

Old 09-08-2016, 09:44 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,124,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaBlue View Post
Why? Should we talk about the schools in Southern Illinois instead? How about East St. Louis? Quincy? Cairo? My sister now lives in Champaign. Her house has been broken into...twice. She had to call the police because a homeless man was getting a blow job on her back porch. Southern Illinois is good for two things, growing corn and making meth.
Texas will most likely be too redneck for you... Texas is a lot like downstate illinois.

The big cities are a lot like chicago but with more sprawl.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:46 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,969 times
7 pages in one day, not bad.

1.5 hour commute to this Harker Heights town? Fuhgettaboutit.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:46 PM

345 posts, read 530,442 times
I lived in both. personally I'd choose Nashville but it depends on you. Give us some criteria.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:05 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Quite a few zillion folks think of "Fixer Upper" when they think of Waco...

HGTV's Fixer Upper With Chip and Joanna Gaines | HGTV
You can thank that show for putting Waco on the map, just like Austin City Limits did for Austin a quarter-century ago. And I thought that the I-35 corridor would not completely develop because of laggard Waco not attracting anybody!

To the OP, the suburbs of Chicago are pretty nice compared to Texas. The cultural activities and shopping in the Loop/Near North Side far exceed Dallas and Houston and the skyline along the lakefront is one of the 7 Wonders of the World.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:19 PM

29 posts, read 44,201 times
[quote=A-Tex;45418865]You should chose Nashville.

OP should not choose Nashville. I just moved from TN here to Austin a few months ago...we love, really love it ...I know Nashville well. Fantastic town! But it's almost as hot as as Austin and more humid, very Southern, duh, and on average the schools in Davidson Co. are not as good as those in here in the Austin area. Honestly, I doubt either city will suit her.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:46 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
Round Rock and Cedar Park are suburbs of Austin. They are a Schaumburg and Naperville. Peoria and Springfield are autonomous cities. I think Peoria/Springfield were being compared to Temple/Waco which is pretty accurate.
Both Round Rock and Cedar Park are also autonomous cities

Old 09-09-2016, 04:15 PM

145 posts, read 173,560 times
It's a shame blue staters aren't staying in their blue states fixing the problems caused by blue state tax and regulate policies.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:43 PM

20 posts, read 32,832 times
We're going to go with the position in Harker Heights. It is for the same salary, but the benefits were much much better. Honestly, I have no idea what we're going to do about the children's education. The fact it, and as much as people obviously get mad over this (I'm quickly learning that people from Texas REALLY love Texas), public education in most of Texas just isn't up to snuff. Not when you compare it on a national level. There ARE some very good schools in Texas, as in not just good FOR TEXAS, but good in comparison to other states, but none of those schools are anywhere near Harker Heights, or even Austin for that matter. With the exception of one school district in Austin (Eanes) none even come close to the level of performance found here. What I am most curious about, is why are people so quick to defend their lackluster school districts? You should stop being offended and start being concerned as to WHY your schools are not as good as their northern, eastern, and western counterparts? Shouldn't your children have the same level of quality education as that found here? As someone who both attended these fine schools, and now has children enrolled in these institutions, I don't think I'm being elitist or offensive just because I want my children to have the same level of education they are receiving here, but in the state of Texas. I want my children to have THE BEST education. What mother wouldn't want that for their child? ALL children should have access to excellent schools.

Perhaps it is simply a difference in family values. In my family, education is paramount. You get good grades in order to get into a top tier university. And even then, college is merely a stepping stone to one's profession, which in my family is either medicine, science, or law. There is great expectation placed on us, as there was on our parents, and their parents. I come from a long line of family, on both my mother's and my father's side, that excelled in school, worked extremely hard at their professions, and succeeded in life, all so they could give their children THE BEST life. I don't know, I think the U.S. in general is sliding down a slippery slope of mediocrity. We can no longer compete. Anyway, I suppose we're just going to have to go the private route. Which is something I really didn't want to do, because neither my husband or I are religious. But I don't what else to do and I'm not happy about this move in the least. Thank you to those who provided me with useful advice about utilities and whatnot. I'm sorry so many of you were offended. Don't mess with Texas, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin