Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 11:52 AM

4 posts, read 10,783 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are first time home buyers. The main thing we want to look for in the neighborhood is a good elementary school for our two kids.We found a perfect house that fits our price range but the school is Double file Trail El in round rock isd. The ranking is academically acceptable. Also a couple of reviews on greatschools website were not that great. Just wanted to reach out to any parents that have kids in this school and see what they think. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 07:55 PM

575 posts, read 2,495,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshch View Post
Hello,

We are first time home buyers. The main thing we want to look for in the neighborhood is a good elementary school for our two kids.We found a perfect house that fits our price range but the school is Double file Trail El in round rock isd. The ranking is academically acceptable. Also a couple of reviews on greatschools website were not that great. Just wanted to reach out to any parents that have kids in this school and see what they think. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Maybe drill down into why it is only "Acceptable" to see if maybe attendance knocked them down from getting at least Recognized. Attendance matters a lot in the ratings. In our neighborhood, which is LISD, Steiner Ranch Elem. lost Exemplary status because the school dropped below 95% attendance!!!

But, if the Acceptable rating is coming purely from the scores, then you have to decide if continuing to look is possible. There are many schools that are Recognized and even a few Exemplary schools with new construction around them.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:37 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,059,550 times
I don't have kids in that school, but I have met parents from Double File Trail at various RRISD meetings and groups (I am on the Citizen's Bond Committee and am active in other RRISD groups) and they seem to really like the school, and are concerned about it - so seem like active and involved parents to me, and that's always a good thing.

Like FromCali said, schools can have an "Acceptable" rating due to varying factors. Often, the schools will fluctuate from year to year - because the scoring system is not just about scores.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:44 AM

4 posts, read 10,783 times
Thank you very guys for your feedback. I was able to talk to the pricncipal and got some of the questions answered. she mentioned the reson they lost recognized status was because of 5th grade science. they got 72 and they should have had 75. but after talking to couple of people in that area we came to know that the school still has portables for some of the classes and also that the literacy rate of parents in that area is a low compared to other areas. Nothing against it but i think it definitely effects the kids as they do not get help from their parents in their studies. so we are looking at some other neighborhood now. its park side at mayield ranch. the builder is legacy homes.
thanks again for you time

Old 03-10-2008, 11:18 AM

123 posts, read 718,094 times
I teach at Double File Trail... just an FYI... next year our numbers are dropping to 715 (from 950 now) and the portables will be gone. The drop in attendance is because of one of the new elementary schools opening next fall.

PM me if you'd like to know more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: