Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 11,909 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to Austin later this year and we really liked the Tarrytown neighborhood on our first house-hunting trip. Our search focused west of Lamar, east of Lake Austin, north of Enfield, and south of W.35th. We are willing to spend up to $850K but are having difficulty finding a home. The inventory seems to be as small as the homes and lots. Is this normal for Tarrytown this time of year? Is there any hope of finding a 3000 s.f home on .25-.33 acres in our price range? Will the inventory expand after March?
Thanks in advance for your help, Restless in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 04:30 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveur View Post
My family is relocating to Austin later this year and we really liked the Tarrytown neighborhood on our first house-hunting trip. Our search focused west of Lamar, east of Lake Austin, north of Enfield, and south of W.35th. We are willing to spend up to $850K but are having difficulty finding a home. The inventory seems to be as small as the homes and lots. Is this normal for Tarrytown this time of year? Is there any hope of finding a 3000 s.f home on .25-.33 acres in our price range? Will the inventory expand after March?
Thanks in advance for your help, Restless in Atlanta.
couple of issues, most of the houses are obviously teardowns in that size range. Unfortunately the city just passed an ordinance which limits the size of houses to some fraction of the size of the lot so 3000 sq ft. houses will be hard to find.

<<The McMansion ban prohibits houses more than 2,300 square feet or over 40 percent of their lot size in most central Austin neighborhoods. >>

Old 01-30-2008, 04:57 PM

361 posts, read 1,163,402 times
Inventory will pick up in the spring. I sold a house in Tarrytown last spring and bought in Pemberton Heights. The winter months are always a little slow, but people start listing after Easter.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,719 times
I live in pemberton heights - the neighborhood right across Mopac from Tarrytown (and more upend). Anyway, Im currently looking at purchasing another home and there are quite a few places in 78703 which are in your pricerange and what you are looking for.

The person who was discussing McMansions clearly knows little about the area as there are a boatload of homes from 3k-4k in the area.

In fact, there is a wicked house forsale right now close to Maudies down there. I think they want 850k for a corner lot and 3500 sq. I cant remember as its been a day or two since ive seen the listing. There are also a couple of others in that pricepoint in Old Enfield.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:31 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati_Atx View Post
I live in pemberton heights - the neighborhood right across Mopac from Tarrytown (and more upend). Anyway, Im currently looking at purchasing another home and there are quite a few places in 78703 which are in your pricerange and what you are looking for.

The person who was discussing McMansions clearly knows little about the area as there are a boatload of homes from 3k-4k in the area.

In fact, there is a wicked house forsale right now close to Maudies down there. I think they want 850k for a corner lot and 3500 sq. I cant remember as its been a day or two since ive seen the listing. There are also a couple of others in that pricepoint in Old Enfield.
One house to choose from is not a lot, so maybe we agree. There definitely are houses in the 3-4K sq ft range, however they are generally over 1M.

MLS is showing 1 house in tarrytown at 3500 sq ft and 850K.

Im sure that there are some FSBO houses too.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
One house to choose from is not a lot, so maybe we agree. There definitely are houses in the 3-4K sq ft range, however they are generally over 1M.

MLS is showing 1 house in tarrytown at 3500 sq ft and 850K.

Im sure that there are some FSBO houses too.
We were talking 3k square not 3.5k square. 20% increase in sqft would be quite a difference in price.

Anyway the main reason I was writing:
There is a cute mission newbuild on Westover .

It had like 3700 square. 2 car detached out back. I think the builder was asking 875-925? I cant remember. It isnt in the mls, but he was running an open house last weekend. the builder seemed really nice and his finishout choices thus far were really nice and early enough to perhaps get some choices in on some of them.

given the market right now - most houses that are listed a milllion could most likely be had in the 800 range.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:01 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Maybe you can find a realtor that has experience in locating houses that aren't for sale but could be if the price is right. Do those realtors exist?

Old 03-01-2008, 06:50 AM

Yes.

I was talking to one the other day - oddly enough, there was a house 3 doors down from mine that was going on the market in a few months from now which we were interested in.

Austin Silent Market - www.AustinSilentMarket.com

I have no affiliation with them.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:57 AM

389 posts, read 1,630,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveur View Post
Is there any hope of finding a 3000 s.f home on .25-.33 acres in our price range?
The lot value alone is in the $500,000 range.

Expect to pay $300 a square foot for an older home and closer to $400 a square foot for new construction in Tarrytown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin