Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 01:58 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scissor_chavez View Post
If you cross Parmer Lane (the location of the Apple campus) then you leave the city of Austin.

Yes, parts of Austin are in Wilco,
parts of RR are in Travis,
parts of AISD are in PF, and RR
parts of RRISD are in Austin.
Parts of all these are in LISD.

This all happens in Avery ranch, yada, yada, yada, yada.
No. Actually, you don’t leave Austin. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have 787 zip codes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 02:04 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
The inevitable flood of apartments will keep down the price of housing and property values. Unlike South Austin, there are no restrictions for building out there in North Austin, and I expect apartment developers to take full advantage of demand, and overbuild, thus short-cutting the property values of existing homeowners. It's not like the owners of SFH can re-zone to density and get a financial windfall. Their best hope is to rent out their homes, and move. If you don't work at Apple, that area will become a terrible place to live for you and your family.
This is honestly ridiculous

Old 12-13-2018, 02:31 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
If you cross Parmer Lane (the location of the Apple campus) then you leave the city of Austin.

Yes, parts of Austin are in Wilco,
parts of RR are in Travis,
parts of AISD are in PF, and RR
parts of RRISD are in Austin.
Parts of all these are in LISD.

This all happens in Avery ranch, yada, yada, yada, yada.
Not true. Robinson Ranch pays taxes to the City of Austin. Any development of that land will be in the COA jurisdiction.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Austin taxpayers gave tax breaks to Apple for this. Is this in Austin ISD, or do they get screwed too?
No, City of Austin, RRISD. You seem really bothered by this - what's your main beef?

Old 12-13-2018, 03:29 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
The Current Apple Campus at 12545 Riata Vista Cir is in all of the following jurisdiction:
City of Austin
Travis County
Round Rock ISD

The new location, if it is Robinson Ranch, at the SW corner of Parmer and Toll 45, is in all of the following:
City of Austin
Williamson County
Round Rock ISD

"City" boundaries in that part of the metro area are extremely Gerrymandered and convoluted. Half of Avery Ranch attends Leander ISD, but east of Parmer it's RR ISD.

Cities often cross County lines. ISDs regularly cross both County and City lines.

Steve

Old 12-13-2018, 03:30 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
They won't work at Apple, their schools won't get tax money, they won't see improvement in their lives at all. Why are we being told to rejoice and pander to the corporations like this?
I don't have kids in Austin public Schools, yet pay thousands in public school taxes every year. I don't bike for recreation, yet multi-millions in city bonds are used to pay for bike lanes. the city voters just approved bonds to pay for cultural centers for minorities, which I am, but my minority group wasn't included to get the taxpayer loot.

We don't use many services the city pays for out of our taxes. I'd rather our tax money go to creating jobs for other citizens than most services funded from our taxes.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 12-13-2018 at 04:13 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 03:36 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Ha! That did make me chuckle .

Are you still living off Slaughter? Or downtown now? I can't recall . I really do like the area of town, but taxes are significant and going to get worse. Maybe Robin Hood can be fixed, tweaked, or killed and help out a bit, dunno. Also looking at possibly getting some land and a house out toward Burnet or Lampassas. But no idea on what turbulence still awaits on this 'approach'.
Ha, I'm back in SW Austin in my completely remodeled home in Villages at Western Oaks.

Loved it downtown for the year I was there though. But the price per sqft of buying a condo (I was renting at Coldwater) just offends the financially responsible part of my psyche. The value proposition of a +1 for lifestyle with a -3 for cost per sqft just didn't pass the math test.

Maybe we should start another "Austin ExPat Escape Plan" thread updated for 2018 and the current traffic and cost realities. Added to my list of dream places to live "No Idiots on Scooters". Seriously, that alone causes a resentment way disproportionate to what it should be, but it literally just kills the good buzz of living in Austin every time I go anywhere now.

Steve

Old 12-13-2018, 03:41 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I'm just weeping because jobs aren't opening up in my industry that are located north! Big law stubbornly wants to remain downtown My husband works in the Riata area (not apple, though) and he has a relatively easy commute. Ughhhhhhhhh

Old 12-13-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
The city is reimbursing Apple almost all of the tax revenue it would have paid. This campus does nothing for 90% of the people of Austin. They won't work at Apple, their schools won't get tax money, they won't see improvement in their lives at all. Why are we being told to rejoice and pander to the corporations like this?

From Curbed:

"The company signed a 10-year economic development contract in Texas six years ago, with Austin at the front of the line for expansion, as member local NPR station KUT reported at the time. That deal included a 100 percent property tax rebate and other incentives as well"

^^ what does this campus do for Austin, then? It sounds like it will provide jobs for Cedar Park and Round Rock while it occupies Austin land like a parasite. If this had been built on the border of Manor, Dripping Springs or Buda, people would be raising bloody h***
I guess I look at it more pragmatically. COA annexed Robinson ranch for precisely that reason - to be able to get the tax revenue on development rather than have it go to RR or Cedar Park. It's kind of inevitable that the growth occurs. I have an Austin address but I'm not in the city limits, so I can't vote for the current administration that approves these things. If I were, I'd agree with you that for the most part, it doesn't really benefit the people of Austin proper.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:10 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
1) COA tax rate is .44 (RRISD is 1.35) so you can determine the austin tax amount without rebates
2) all those jobs will cause robinson ranch to get fully developed. Probably into high density mixed use
3) The people moving here will pay taxes. Housing will get built for them and some will live in austin (angus valley, great hills, northwest hills, domain, even quail creek/rundberg)

Total win in my view
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin