Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 05:50 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times

Advertisements

I dont think people here seem to understand how Metro Areas are defined. It has nothing to do with continuous development. Its measured by commuting patterns. To qualify as a metro area, 20% of the county population has to commute to the core county. For CSA, its 5%. The Metroplex has well exceeded that threshold. In order for Austin and San Antonio to combine to a CSA, at least 5% of Travis County has to commute to Bexar County or vice-versa.

In all honest, you have a greater chance of seeing Waco become part of DFW's CSA, Killeen-Temple becoming part of Austin's CSA, and Beaumont becoming part of Houston's CSA than Austin and San Antonio combining. The cities are big enough and have their own economies and they are far enough apart where the need for large scale commuting between the two isn't really necessary. On the other hand, Waco, Killeen/Temple, and Beaumont don't have big enough economies to hold all their residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 10:11 PM

73 posts, read 68,024 times
I do believe that San Antonio/Austin will merge but the timeline is something that nobody knows. San Antonio/Austin has been the some of the fastest growing metros and the area in between them is disappearing. Everyone says San Marcos is a part of Austin and that New Braunfels is a part of San Antonio. Those two cities are literally right beside each other!

Old 05-08-2019, 07:45 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,345,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Not sure how you got to Wimberly from 281?
You cannot get to Wimberly from 281 nor can you get to Austin from 281.

The point was they are growing to together in more areas than just along 35. The whole area from 281 to the west, 290 to the north, I10 to the south and 130 to east is developing.

I did not even notice the title of the thread. The two areas will never be a single MSA, but they might be because a CSA.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
You cannot get to Wimberly from 281 nor can you get to Austin from 281.

The point was they are growing to together in more areas than just along 35. The whole area from 281 to the west, 290 to the north, I10 to the south and 130 to east is developing.

I did not even notice the title of the thread. The two areas will never be a single MSA, but they might be because a CSA.

What would Blanco County be considered as? Austin or San Antonio metro? San Antonio sprawl is already nearing the Comal/Blanco County line but I don't know the development on 290 or 71 on the Austin side.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:52 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoSaldana4 View Post
I do believe that San Antonio/Austin will merge but the timeline is something that nobody knows. San Antonio/Austin has been the some of the fastest growing metros and the area in between them is disappearing. Everyone says San Marcos is a part of Austin and that New Braunfels is a part of San Antonio. Those two cities are literally right beside each other!
Looks like you didnt read my explanation. Proximity of cities have nothing to do with it.

I did get confused on one part. It is 15% not 5% of commuters that you need for a CSA. That makes the likelyhood of the two joining smaller.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Looks like you didnt read my explanation. Proximity of cities have nothing to do with it.

I did get confused on one part. It is 15% not 5% of commuters that you need for a CSA. That makes the likelihood of the two joining smaller.

I get that but one that you sure that they will never combine to form one big metro in the coming future.

Things are changing so quick but I'm very optimistic about this area and that we can integrate and become one huge metro.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoSaldana4 View Post
I get that but one that you sure that they will never combine to form one big metro in the coming future.

Things are changing so quick but I'm very optimistic about this area and that we can integrate and become one huge metro.

Why on earth would you be optimistic about something like this? In what universe is this a good thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin