Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 09:15 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,798 times

Advertisements

We're planning our house hunting trip. We want to line up an inspector in case we find a house -- any recommendations? Also do we need to have a septic inspector in addition to a normal inspector? Most of the homes I like have a septic tank and DH is not sold on them -- so we have to make sure that it won't be an issue for us in the future.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 09:36 PM

31 posts, read 117,162 times
We were in Austin last week and finalized an offer on a home. Our realtor recommended Texcode. The inspector was Justin and he took about 3.5 hours due to home size and features. We met with him and he explained everything. Needless to say he was very thorough and really enjoyed his profession!

Texcode Inspection Service
Austin Home Inspection Service | TexCode

Old 04-15-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Pinafore View Post
We were in Austin last week and finalized an offer on a home. Our realtor recommended Texcode. The inspector was Justin and he took about 3.5 hours due to home size and features. We met with him and he explained everything. Needless to say he was very thorough and really enjoyed his profession!

Texcode Inspection Service
Austin Home Inspection Service | TexCode
Did he find any issues with your house?

Thanks for the info!

Old 04-15-2008, 06:04 AM

31 posts, read 117,162 times
The home is only 2 years old and surprisingly he found several things! Many of these were just "not to code" and could easily be remedied like red-tip bushes blocking the water meter. The 'major' ones were a leaking back-flow preventer on the sprinkler system, some land erosion next to the foundation in one small section (due to only having only front & back gutters), 2 window sill bricks had cracks and would need to be sealed, a rain gutter not at the correct pitch and showed signs of water standing, and HVAC valves that were not capped. These are the items that quickly come to mind.

My inspector was very open and was willing to explain things during the inspection and on the report. His 'call anytime with questions' attitude gave me a secure feeling. He thought the house was definitely structurally sound and was pleased with the construction. This home had a full access attic and basement so footing and timbre were in easy view.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:30 AM

Does anyone have a recommendation for a septic tank inspector?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:58 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Travis County septic inspector? Or Hays? There are different rules for each county, and 'experts' for each, too.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Travis County septic inspector? Or Hays? There are different rules for each county, and 'experts' for each, too.
Travis County. There's a few houses in Shady Hollow that I'm liking right now that have septic...

Old 04-15-2008, 07:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
I have used Superior Septic for my pumping over the past 10 years. They are a local company in Round Rock. When they pump they also give it a good looking over to make sure it's in good working condition. I get the tank pumped every 2 years and would highly recommend them. I don't know if they do inspections though.
Here's their website: Superior Septic Service / Clean Can: Austin Texas Portable Toilets

Old 04-16-2008, 08:13 AM

433 posts, read 1,657,386 times
I'd also like to give my recommendation for TexCode.

A family member used them on two home purchases in Austin and recommended them to me. I was extremely satisfied with their work.

Check out other favorable reviews at RateAustin.com:

TexCode Inspection Service Austin TX 78720 Home Inspectors Services RateAustin

Old 04-16-2008, 09:34 PM

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: