Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:35 AM

88 posts, read 88,829 times

Advertisements

Hi - it has been a while since I bought a new home and our preconstruction meeting is coming up. I would like to know what to clarify/ask from this meeting with the construction engineer.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 09:14 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,829,120 times
You should have a full set of plans: architectural and electrical. Spend a lot of time with them.

Depending on your builder and your neighborhood, they may not budge on some of these things, particularly in this market. Never hurts to ask though.

Make sure:

- you have outlets where you want outlets (particularly floor outlets, since these can't be added later very easily)
- the washer/dryer hookup is configured how you want it
- you have ceiling fans (or at least ceiling fan hookups) where you want them
- you are on the same page with general style decisions: you'll do the whole 'deco' process later, but decide sooner whether you want things like bullnosed drywall (more expensive, but some people prefer it)
- you have seen a low voltage plan for TV/network/phone jacks, and are comfortable with any AV wiring needed in the living areas (like, is the TV going on the fireplace or a wall; if fireplace, are they putting in an AV conduit or charging you to do it)
- exterior: get a paint and landscape scheme as soon as you can, make sure you're OK with them
- you understand everything going on with the plans - if anything isn't clear (like is 'tc' trash compartment or trash compactor?) then ask

Old 08-19-2015, 09:22 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
There is an old thread on 'what I would do different if I built again' or something like that, but some of the things I think I remember :

- Wider/deeper garage with a mop sink (you may be past this point, though)
- More spigots outside the house (standard nowadays is 2, it seems, and an extra one goes a long way)

Old 08-19-2015, 09:43 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
[quote=Trainwreck20;40879473]There is an old thread on 'what I would do different if I built again' or something like that, but some of the things I think I remember :

- Wider/deeper garage with a mop sink (you may be past this point, though)
- More spigots outside the house (standard nowadays is 2, it seems, and an extra one goes a long way)[/quote]

Interesting (to me at least) reading this. Just because with our first new construction house, all we had were two spigots - one on the side of the house and one on the back. If you needed to run a hose or anything on the other side of the house, you'd have to buy a hose extender or at least an 150' hose. With this older house, to our surprise we had multiple spigots, one on each side and one in the back. And you know what, they're very convenient!

Also our first house had a very tight two car garage. Our current house has a "2.5 car garage" and that's just perfect for us. Three cars would be too much. No sink, but the adjacent laundry room has one.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:54 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
In addition to the plans, ask to see "the specs" the written specifications on pretty much everything: type of windows, type and size of trim, type of cabinets, type of insulation, sinks, countertops, hardware, type and size of water heater, HVAC, all the way down to the landscaping, etc. If you are doing a production build with a production builder, they may just refer you to a pre-printed pamphlet but still, go over it and ask for explanations of anything you don't understand.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:18 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
In addition to the plans, ask to see "the specs" the written specifications on pretty much everything: type of windows, type and size of trim, type of cabinets, type of insulation, sinks, countertops, hardware, type and size of water heater, HVAC, all the way down to the landscaping, etc. If you are doing a production build with a production builder, they may just refer you to a pre-printed pamphlet but still, go over it and ask for explanations of anything you don't understand.
ESPECIALLY if you are out in the county instead of the COA limits.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:35 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
Some things that are hard to do afterwards

1) Cat 6 wiring for gigabit ethernet.
2) Also wires to the exterior eaves of the house for christmas lights, speakers, security cameras, etc Can be hard to do later
3) floor safe into the foundation (just pick your safe and have them put a hole in the foundation that is big enough
4) safe room of some kind to protect from tornadoes
5) they put in blown insulation I would rather have had spray insulation. Higher R value and you can use your attic. The blown gets everywhere and if you compress it it loses its R value.
6) check your A/C sizes to make sure they are good
7) bigger garage. Enough extra dimensions so that if you have a big truck (eg. tundra crewmax) parked in you can still walk around the garage. My tundra fits, but I cant walk around the garage behind it so have to open garage doors to go to the other side of the garage.
8) take pictures of the plumbing/wiring so you know exactly where everything is. Label them and make sure there is perspective on where exactly the picture relates to. It is almost impossible to look at a picture of studs without knowing the context
9) We have a room that has an attic door, closet, window and entry door. Every wall has something like this. It makes putting furniture against the wall and organizing the room difficult. Dont do this.
10) If there is dead space (like under the stairs) dont have them wall it off. Try to make it useful
11) I wouldnt have any glass in my front door or side lights as those are big security holes. A larger than normal front door can make it a lot easier to move furniture in. Wire in a security camera in the front door alcove.
12) hot water heaters should not be in attic. Garage would be ideal

Old 08-19-2015, 02:33 PM

26 posts, read 47,168 times
relocatetoxxxx,

All things people are suggesting are usually done in the design center and not during pre construction meet.
I assume you are done with that phase?

During pre construction meet, ask him about how the lot will be graded, how high the foundation is going to be, how many steps will be added to access the house if the foundation is going to be several feet. Flat lots are better in that sense, people with disabilities or kids find steps annoying

Will there be steps inside the garage to lead you inside the house (dropped garage ??)
Will there be any retaining wall in your backyard for privacy purposes.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:54 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,829,120 times
Quote:
All things people are suggesting are usually done in the design center and not during pre construction meet.
We made the same assumption, but certain things (like washer/dryer hookups) suddenly became expensive after the foundation was poured.

Ceiling fans and low voltage stuff can wait, but we never got in trouble for asking a builder about something too early and definitely got in trouble for waiting!

Old 08-20-2015, 01:41 PM

55 posts, read 74,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Some things that are hard to do afterwards

1) Cat 6 wiring for gigabit ethernet.
2) Also wires to the exterior eaves of the house for christmas lights, speakers, security cameras, etc Can be hard to do later
3) floor safe into the foundation (just pick your safe and have them put a hole in the foundation that is big enough
4) safe room of some kind to protect from tornadoes
5) they put in blown insulation I would rather have had spray insulation. Higher R value and you can use your attic. The blown gets everywhere and if you compress it it loses its R value.
6) check your A/C sizes to make sure they are good
7) bigger garage. Enough extra dimensions so that if you have a big truck (eg. tundra crewmax) parked in you can still walk around the garage. My tundra fits, but I cant walk around the garage behind it so have to open garage doors to go to the other side of the garage.
8) take pictures of the plumbing/wiring so you know exactly where everything is. Label them and make sure there is perspective on where exactly the picture relates to. It is almost impossible to look at a picture of studs without knowing the context
9) We have a room that has an attic door, closet, window and entry door. Every wall has something like this. It makes putting furniture against the wall and organizing the room difficult. Dont do this.
10) If there is dead space (like under the stairs) dont have them wall it off. Try to make it useful
11) I wouldnt have any glass in my front door or side lights as those are big security holes. A larger than normal front door can make it a lot easier to move furniture in. Wire in a security camera in the front door alcove.
12) hot water heaters should not be in attic. Garage would be ideal

13)Check door swings and make sure they make sense. Builder will likely order the doors early
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin